The Display Cabinet

Soldato
So, it may look like I haven't progressed at all with my Delaque gang! This is the 5th iteration. He's had grey, green and various brown coats, and I wasn't completely happy with any of them. This is the winner. I learnt how to pin to bases btw, Shami, and you're right, it's not that tricky and it does make everything easier to manage.

vXodIoC.png

Last edited:
Caporegime
Just seen this sorry! Congrats on the pinning!

He's quite bright, could benefit from some washes in the recesses. Also kudos to you for choosing yellow, by the the most difficult colour to paint imo!

Soldato
Cheers mate. I still struggle with blending dark colours into light so wuss out with mild highlights/shades :) It's not quite as bright as it looks in the picture, but you're right. However, there are 17 to do so speed is of the essence!

Soldato
Looks fantastic!

Agreed, very nice paint job indeed. Clean and crisp and a nice scheme for DE Liking the base as well. Good job Shami.

Not sure why such hate for Finecast though. Don't get me wrong I know the horror stories across the internet about it, but I've got around 10+ finecast models now and they have all been basically fine. A couple of small adjusts to straighten things and a couple of small holes to be filled but nothing major. Was this one particularly bad?

Caporegime
Thanks guys :)

This one was...ok. A few holes that needed filling but my last one (the Necron) I had to resculpt a major part of his cloak and the one before that (a set of Dark Eldar incubi) were just terrible. Considering every other company manages resin just fine I think the horror stories are justified :p

Caporegime
That's such a tricky question to answer, how hard is it to paint a picture :p

If you just want to get a tabletop level mini done quickly then it's pretty easy, a base coat, a wash and maybe some sharp highlights and you're done. But then painting display level stuff like you see in competitions require years of practice and dedication.

So basically how long is a piece of rope? :p

Permabanned
If you have a lot of patience, you can get to table top quality after a few miniatures but getting to display level takes a looooong time. If you stuck at it, I think you can get there within a couple of years, but you really need to get through the miniatures, get used to different paints and learn how to do all sorts of magic with the brush.

IMO the bigger the model, the easier it is to paint. Something, for me at least, like a WarMachine is going to be easier to paint than say a 28mm hero.

Caporegime
You wait months for a bus and two turn up at once! another project finished?? This one is for the Infamy One Shots competition, which I thought ended at the end of July but found out three days ago it was actually June...queue 3 days of frantic painting (I had only done the skin of the beast) to get it finished. My idea was to have a goblin imitating a knight by having a jousting contest with heraldry hastily slapped on. Base is meant to be a jousting ground with a wooden wall separating the two contestants.

Associate
Hi everyone, here's my finished Stardrake. I'm pretty proud of how it turned out! It took many many hours to complete.

20u4sop.jpg

2vmxzlx.jpg

30utw28.jpg

Caporegime
Are these easier to paint than they look? I'd love to do some but they look ridiculously hard to paint.

I'm an 'ok' painter by mine (and friends standards), I've noticed that now I feel a much better painter despite not painting / modelling since I was a kid.

Sham is right though, it is all about practise (as with most things), but another huge part of painting and modelling is preparation and understanding what you are doing. I have learnt more recently, and consider myself seriously more knowledgeable in regards to modelling / painting than ever and I am still learning (and am probably considerably some way behind Sham and Jonesiani).

Caporegime
Another project finished, started this before the last two and have been painting it on and off for a few months, it's for the Eavier Metal Eadbanger 2 competition (for those that aren't familiar with Eavier Metal it's a facebook group inspired by the old Eavy Metal team for painters of all standards to share their painting and get feedback.

I'm really happy with this one, I'm a huge Assassin's Creed fan and this was a lot of fun to create and paint. Base is made out of cork tile, plasticard with milliput brickwork sketched on top.

Caporegime
Thanks guys. I've been slowly working on my basing. I have some great ideas it's just working out how to achieve them and the best materials to use. I did a few articles about building this if you want to see how I built it up:

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom