• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Official OcUK RX480 4GB and 8GB review thread

Soldato
Ah, so for those that

have nothing
know nothing about GPU's to be confident to buy 2nd hand
or on a budget.

Ok I get it now and what AMD are up to. Makes sense and will probably work. IMHO it means AMD have given up on chasing nVidia and concentrating on the cheap end of the market. I do hope I am wrong.
Actually people that actually know anything about GPU, particularly Nvidia's would know their EOL graphic card will never perform as well for new titles as it once were when it was still current gen, simply due to the they stop putting in the effort in optimising old gen cards after new gen cards are launched. Just look at how 780Ti gone from beating 290x by fair margin to falling behind by a fair margin after the 900 series were launched, simply due to no longer focusing on optimising performance for the old cards.

Performance wise AMD cards are more hardware driven, whereas Nvidia rely more on skillful optimisation that rely heavily on driver; so as soon as Nvidia moving the focus of the driver teams from old gen onto new gen card, the performance of old gen cards will tank very quickly- not so much for title that were already released, but for new titles are released after EOL.

Soldato
https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/RX_480/13.html
fallout4_1920_1080.png

What's going on in the TPU review. The 480 seems to be beating the 390X and even the FuryX in some games.:eek: And why is a FuryX slower than the 390 and Fury in Fallout 4 :confused:

There is so much discrepancy between reviews.
If the 480 is really this good at stock then the non-reference AIB versions should be worthwhile afterall IF the price is reasonable.

Last edited:

DHR

DHR

Soldato
It's a tough one, I missed out on the £175 cards by a couple of minutes, I'm so annoyed about that I'll be going elsewhere for it now. That aside for me at this moment in time it feels like the right fit, I predominantly console game, I'm exclusively at 1080p and I want to at least be able the run DX12 games as and when they arise for the next 2 years or so. I may be showing my ignorance but as far as DX12 goes its on par if not outperforming the 970?

Soldato
https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/RX_480/13.html
fallout4_1920_1080.png

What's going on in the TPU review. The 480 seems to be beating the 390X and even the FuryX in some games.:eek: And why is a FuryX slower than the 390 and Fury in Fallout 4 :confused:

There is so much discrepancy between reviews.
If the 480 is really this good at stock then the non-reference AIB versions should be worthwhile afterall IF the price is reasonable.

I'm guessing that has god rays pumped up to the max. Thats a gameworks thing that uses ridiculous levels of tessellation, and the 480 does better in those scenarios.

Associate
http://www.anandtech.com/show/10446/the-amd-radeon-rx-480-preview/3

So much for a whole new architecture. This starts to explain the performance gap between expectations and reality.

As I told people time and time again, a new architecture will bring 15-30% improvements in most cases. AMD claimed the 14nm node provided a 70% improvement. I was generous and said that Polaris might get a 30% architecture improvements combined with the node and Polaris would be twice the performance per watt and to totally ignore the 2.8X figure AMD PR put out. Looks like I should have been more pessimistic and gone with a 15% architecture improvement and means the performance per watt difference between nvidia and AMD have only increased this generation. This is born out in the TPU reviews, Pascal has 80% more performance per watt.

Nvidia has seen a bigger architectural improvement in pascal than AMD has managed with Polaris. That is quite incredible considering the huge efficiency changes Maxwell achieved overall Kepler. Taking in to account the node shrink Pascal has improved about 25% architecture wise, Polaris 15%.

I remember reading somewhere that Polaris was closer to Fiji in terms of architecture and Vega is supposed to be the one with the big architecture change. The 2.8X perf/watt applies to the 470 I think.

Associate
From Canucks - http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/foru...9-radeon-rx480-8gb-performance-review-24.html

DX11

Actually lining up the RX480 8GB against some of its closest performance competitors shows us an interesting yin and yang situation. At 1080P –a screen resolution most gamers in this segment currently have- it polls above the GTX 970 and is just 13% slower than the once-mighty GTX 980. Meanwhile moving on to 1440P highlights NVIDIA’s weakness at higher resolutions since this card is able to move even further afield of the GTX 970 and nearly catches the GTX 980. Given the fact these two cards were priced at $329 and $549 respectively not that long ago, it is abundantly obvious that AMD is well on their way towards offering the best price / performance GPU around.

DX12

Moving on to DX12 and we see AMD’s new architecture really coming into its own against the NVIDIA cards. It absolutely demolishes the GTX 970 across the board (even in NVIDIA-friendly games like Tomb Raider) and even manages to run circles around that once-expensive GTX 980. These tests show Maxwell’s performance in current DX12 applications is nothing short of embarrassing and proves this architecture simply wasn’t designed with these types of workloads in mind. How this translates to Pascal or upcoming DX12-based games is unknown at this point (remember, our sample size is quite small here) but something drastic needs to be done if NVIDIA’s mid-tier competitors are to have any hope against Polaris.

Why would anyone in their right mind and without malice recommend a 970 (or even a 980, for that matter) over the RX480?!

Associate
It's a tough one, I missed out on the £175 cards by a couple of minutes, I'm so annoyed about that I'll be going elsewhere for it now. That aside for me at this moment in time it feels like the right fit, I predominantly console game, I'm exclusively at 1080p and I want to at least be able the run DX12 games as and when they arise for the next 2 years or so. I may be showing my ignorance but as far as DX12 goes its on par if not outperforming the 970?

Check my last post, it has some DX12 results. To sum it up, it run circles around the 970 on DX12 and almost catches up with the 980.

Associate
From Canucks - http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/foru...9-radeon-rx480-8gb-performance-review-24.html

DX11

DX12

Why would anyone in their right mind and without malice recommend a 970 (or even a 980, for that matter) over the RX480?!

DX12 performance is probably the biggest selling point of the card, at stock clocks it's at least on par with a GTX 980 in most DX12 titles. I think AMD should have tried to push this more than the VR ready thing. If we get highly overclocked AIB versions, we can expect the DX12 performance to be between r9 Fury and Fury X.

Caporegime
Soldato
One of the more fair and enjoyable "down to earth" reviewers.
Raises some good points.

Science Studio

Personally believe it falls a little short in DX11 but if decent AIB arrives under £270 it may help pull that back when compared to alternative similar priced choices. The best card is what is best for your own needs/preferences.

As for DX12 Microsoft alone seem to have several great looking titles coming later this year.

Last edited:
Soldato
Whilst I think the rx480 is the better choice compared to a 970.....it might be worth remembering how many dx12 games there are right now or even how many there will be in a years time...compared to the rest of the pc game library :p
You should also remember that 970's performance will begin to drop for new titles with it became EOL. Just think about how the mighty 780Ti fallen (behind) cards that it once beat.

Associate
Im left feeling a tad disappointed. O well, hope AMD racks up some sales & takes some market share away from nvidia hopefully bringing nvidia prices down to something a bit more reasonable.

Soldato
I'm really disappointed to see so many AMD apologists who were expressly expecting more not say a bad word about this and just spend all their time defending it.

I get that you dont want your favored brand to take a hit and of course there's the 'well if Nvidia have it all their way' arguments, but it all still strikes me as quite dishonest.

The card is disappointing. Not bad at all, just disappointing given the expectations and circumstances. I also get that there's probably a reasonable amount of unjustified negativity, but still. Seems like that is just giving some an excuse to find positives to point out.

Soldato
Ah, so for those that

have nothing
know nothing about GPU's to be confident to buy 2nd hand
or on a budget.

Ok I get it now and what AMD are up to. Makes sense and will probably work. IMHO it means AMD have given up on chasing nVidia and concentrating on the cheap end of the market. I do hope I am wrong.

Well look at the last few years, their strategy was to try and release cards at roughly the same time as NVidia and compete directly against them at the high end of the market. It hasn't worked for them at all.

This generation they emphasised that they were aiming at the mainstream market. So will have to wait and see how that works out for them. But, Judging by todays sales on Ocuk alone, they have sold nearly 1000 cards in one. So it's getting off to a good start.

It sucks for people on these forums though who thought Polaris was going to be pushing towards 980ti levels of performance.

At the end of the day this is only a 380x replacement card, it offers a large increase in performance over the 380x and is the same price the 380x launched at.

I think the performance is ok for what it is. I am very disappointed with the stock cooler and that they only put a 6 pin power connector on it. Now maybe this is to leave more options for the board partners. The only problem is that the AIB custom cards could be over £250 because of the poor exchange rate at the moment. I think anything over £250 is too high a price for the mainstream market.

Or else the custom cards will really have to be pushing 980 performance to be worth the price.

Soldato
It sucks for people on these forums though who thought Polaris was going to be pushing towards 980ti levels of performance.
How many times do I have to refute that this isn't what is going on before you stop actually using it as an excuse?

You're like a creationist whose arguments are thoroughly debunked on a daily basis, yet you still use them over and over anyways because it's all you got and you figure if enough people haven't heard them, it'll work some of the time.

Soldato
I'm really disappointed to see so many AMD apologists who were expressly expecting more not say a bad word about this and just spend all their time defending it.

I get that you dont want your favored brand to take a hit and of course there's the 'well if Nvidia have it all their way' arguments, but it all still strikes me as quite dishonest.

The card is disappointing. Not bad at all, just disappointing given the expectations and circumstances. I also get that there's probably a reasonable amount of unjustified negativity, but still. Seems like that is just giving some an excuse to find positives to point out.

What? It's disappointing to people on this forum because they expected much more. The reality is that this is a pretty good card apart from the stock cooler and the 6 pin power connector. But for most of the people that this card is aimed at, neither of those things will be much of an issue.

And its a little more disappointing for people in the UK because of the exchange rate at the moment. But that was something totally outside AMD's control. Just stop and think, what if these cards were only £199?

Look at the reviews, despite the few problems most reviews have been praising these cards. Now some people have suggested that these reviews sites have been bought off in some way. Maybe, I don't know. I do know two sites that have no love for AMD, and that is Hardocp and Pcper. Pcper gave the card a gold award.

That's because the sites are reviewing the cards for what they are, forum members are looking at the cards and wanted them to be something else.

And according to Gibbo they have sold nearly a 1000 today, and that's just one shop in the UK. I would imagine that AMD hasn't had sales that good in a long time.

So why not talk about the good points of the card? There are enough people shouting out the bad points.

Soldato

Firstly if people could stop viewing everyone that defended the card or had good hopes for it as brand loyalists that would be a start. Really some of you that have been at these forums for years are like spoilt kids.

The card is not disappointing from many aspects and at the price offers good performance especially if 4GB is enough for people and general 1080p gaming.

Personally I am let down a tad by the DX11 but looking at guru3d or other reviews it is not far off the 970 / 980 or 390 in cases. It brings the benefits of DX12 improved performance so that balances things out for the future. Really though the AIB will help make up a few extra frames difference where the DX11 drags the reference model below expectations. Most people that tried to be realistic and reasonable said 980/390x was the level they seen as the card performing well.

Some may want to wait for the 1060 and fair play to them if they do.
Yet I get the feeling if the 1060 brings 980 performance at £200-£250 it will be deemed a brilliant card and not torn to shreds.

Last edited:
Associate

Well, this card delivers what i was expecting. Good performance, not so good cooler and not a huge OC potential since it is limited by cooler and the maximum watt . It is all cool and nice. Now , just wait for AIB cards.

Back
Top Bottom