• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Radeon RX 480 "Polaris" Launched at $199

Soldato
They are working far more with developers to push Vulkan than AMD, the first game (not Doom) updated to support it and the first game engine built with Vulkan as a fundamental component are nVidia supported and they are pushing out a lot more documentation on it.

Am not in a situation to say who working with who etc I dont work in this But AMD is also releasing new documents on the GPUOpen Site. They have showcased the Vulkan Driver running on a RX480, You dont go from giving the core foundation "Mantle" to then becoming weak in Vulkan support.
I expect AMDs Vulkan support to be better or just has good as Nvidia. Doom Benchmarks will tell us more :D

http://gpuopen.com/gaming-product/vulkan/

Caporegime
1060 is supposedly coming next week, a week after the 480, but everyones saying, its a paper launch, you won't be able to get one for months, blah, blah, blah, but do we really know, as before the 1070/80 dropped, everyone was saying Nvidia were 6 months behind AMD, and look what a total load of utter ***** that turned out to be.

Do we really know what Nvidia have been doing for all those months (and before) that AMD have just been ******* about, showing the odd game at unknown settings, and the odd benchmark running on their 480s, surely we don't, do we, we can't possibly know for a fact, that if they do launch their 1060 next week, there won't be any cards at all to buy, and wont be for months.

Last edited:
Associate
I see people still talking allot about future potential and improvements to AMD drivers..

While I’m disappointed with the 480 – one thing really did surprise me and that they haven’t really gained anything in DX12 performance. Was quite an expectation that while Nvidia had lessened the gap with their 1070/1080, AMD would continue to strengthen their position with better DX12 performance on the 480.. When I say better, I don’t mean better than the 1080, I mean relative to AMDs previous generation.

While I think AMD will hold an advantage over Nvidia in regards DX12, the gap won’t be as significant as it has been previously.
Another thing to consider is AMDs ability to better utilize their GPUs over time with drivers improvements, then again they had a renewed focus on this area 1-2 years back and then had dedicated driver initiative / setting up Radeon Technologies Group.

AMD have made some massive gains on existing GPUs – but I don’t think that’ll continue. There is only so much efficiency you can drive before you reach a point where you’re actually launching cards close to their actual performance, AMD knew they had an issue with drivers and have been addressing that but the gains are going to continue forever.

As I’ve said before – I want AMD to spank Nvidia silly to create more competition in the marketplace – but what the 480 represents is a good card for a good price. What it doesn’t represent is a disruptive card, which is what AMD needs.

Associate
I guess people will give amd another pass. Imagine if NV did this:o

I am sure there will be 4GB AIB's.

1060 is supposedly coming next week, a week after the 480, but everyones saying, its a paper launch, you won't be able to get one for months, blah, blah, blah, but do we really know, as before the 1070/80 dropped, everyone was saying Nvidia were 6 months behind AMD, and look what a total load of utter ***** that turned out to be.

CAT posted something about polaris possibly having undergone a number of respins, so it looks like they may have lost whatever lead they might have had.

Soldato
Soldato
As I’ve said before – I want AMD to spank Nvidia silly to create more competition in the marketplace – but what the 480 represents is a good card for a good price. What it doesn’t represent is a disruptive card, which is what AMD needs.

What AMD needs and what you need are two different things. What AMD wants is to actually make profits, whereas people here simply want cheaper Nvidia silicon. Lets be honest here, who would actualy buy AMD even if it was competitive? Even with the 970 v 390 and the AMD having more vram and generally faster nine out of ten people still bought the 970. 84% of the marketplace is 1080p, low to mid budget range and businesswise it makes sense to leave the 16% to Nvidia because frankly they'll always buy Nvidia. And it looks like the strategy is paying off because of what Gibbo has stated and also on the well known large US etailer although they still had some stock yesterday its sold out overnight.

After all the hype came to nothing I got a 1070 delivered this morning. I should have known better to believe the build up.

The hype was created by people on here, not AMD. It delivered at precisely where it was always stated to be.

Soldato
What AMD needs and what you need are two different things. What AMD wants is to actually make profits, whereas people here simply want cheaper Nvidia silicon. Lets be honest here, who would actualy buy AMD even if it was competitive? Even with the 970 v 390 and the AMD having more vram and generally faster nine out of ten people still bought the 970. 84% of the marketplace is 1080p, low to mid budget range and businesswise it makes sense to leave the 16% to Nvidia because frankly they'll always buy Nvidia. And it looks like the strategy is paying off because of what Gibbo has stated and also on the well known large US etailer although they still had some stock yesterday its sold out overnight.

The hype was created by people on here, not AMD. It delivered at precisely where it was always stated to be.

True, still glad I didn't buy one.

HRL

HRL

Soldato
Lets be honest here, who would actualy buy AMD even if it was competitive?

I will if the AIB 480's OC nicely. Couldn't care less whether it's green or red, at the right performance per pound bracket, it'll be a winner for OEM's as well as those on a tighter budget, myself included.

Does anyone favour just one manufacturer over the other then? What a bizarre stance to take if you do.

Surely it's all about performance and/or cost?

Associate
I will if the AIB 480's OC nicely. Couldn't care less whether it's green or red, at the right performance per pound bracket, it'll be a winner for OEM's as well as those on a tighter budget, myself included.

Does anyone favour just one manufacturer over the other then? What a bizarre stance to take if you do.

Surely it's all about performance and/or cost?

Of course people prefer certain manufacturers, either because they're bought in to the ecosystem (e.g. Gsync vs Freesync) or because of past experiences (this applies more to OEMs. Some seem to squeeze better cooling solutions in than others).

Don
Same, i just can't see them doing it now though. :(

Theres all this talk of Vega, taking it to the 1070/80, and the Ti/Titan that are yet to come, but come on, do you honestly see it, really ?

I don't think it will take the outright performance crown, but if it brings the cost of ownership back down again for good performance it will no doubt sell well.

If they can offer approx 1080 performance for £400, then I'm sure it would sell well.

Back
Top Bottom