• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Doom Vulkan vs Open GL performance

Caporegime
Right, my last test and a **** poor side by side comparison with OpenGL Vs Vulkan. More frames on Vulkan but both felt super smooth and no problems at all. Great that there is a choice if someone is having issues :)

Soldato
Great news there for AMD users and sweet performance :cool:

Agree wholeheartedly, future looks good for AMD hardware with Vulkan.

Those benchmarks however show that at the moment Nvidia is not getting much more performance from vulkan than it gets from OpenGL which i think definitely points to something not right with their implementation, hopefully the Nvidia fix will address this and push the performance levels up.

At the end of the day if the API is hardware agnostic and offers reasonable gains on both, its a win win for PC gamers and even console gamers, as it pushes the boundaries of what is possible with the current hardware.

It seems to me that 4k 60fps is a real possibility with Vulkan powering it, now we just need wide range adoption :)

Would love to see an MMO built on either Vulkan or DX12, anything that means we can take the reliance off the cpu and onto the GPU and load up with effects and stuff, even now in raids on MMO's a GPU can chug a bit if you have everything dialled into 11.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Just did some quick testing at 4K everything on Ultra settings. More fps and better frame times. Got between 25-40% increase on my 290.

Incredible!

Will test it with my 1070 on Thursday and see what's what.

Are there any benchmark tools I can run for this game?

Soldato
Right, my last test and a **** poor side by side comparison with OpenGL Vs Vulkan. More frames on Vulkan but both felt super smooth and no problems at all. Great that there is a choice if someone is having issues :)

Greg, on the Vulcan side, at the start where you are doing the settings, i noticed you had one of the settings set to ULTRA, but on OpenGL its set to Nightmare, does this setting not work on Vulcan? ie does it only go to Ultra on Vulcan?

Associate
Does anyone think that since using vulkan, they see a more noticeable grid lines when looking at the martian landscape? I'm also seeing more texture pop-in as well.

Edit: just tried open gl and it was the same with respect to the lines.

one of the benefits of async is this texture popin, executing simultanously garphic and compute should enable faster texture and particles pop up after loading well at least for GCN cards, and i would expect it to be a bit worse with pre-emption (nvidia), if the workload is bigger than opengl/dx11 that is.
what GPU do you have ?

Associate
So basically it looks like Vulkan allows AMD and Nvidia to relatively perform as their Tflops figures suggest they should.

Or in other words, AMD has a lot to gain because they're bottlenecked by older APIs, and Nvidia already do a lot of driver optimisation so they have little to gain.

Although, remains to be seen if Nvidia have some gains to be had since they've claimed their driver isn't 'game ready' for Vulkan, and also they haven't got Async enabled yet (not that they can do full Async, just very fast context switching).

Caporegime
Agree wholeheartedly, future looks good for AMD hardware with Vulkan.

Those benchmarks however show that at the moment Nvidia is not getting much more performance from vulkan than it gets from OpenGL which i think definitely points to something not right with their implementation, hopefully the Nvidia fix will address this and push the performance levels up.

At the end of the day if the API is hardware agnostic and offers reasonable gains on both, its a win win for PC gamers and even console gamers, as it pushes the boundaries of what is possible with the current hardware.

It seems to me that 4k 60fps is a real possibility with Vulkan powering it, now we just need wide range adoption :)

Would love to see an MMO built on either Vulkan or DX12, anything that means we can take the reliance off the cpu and onto the GPU and load up with effects and stuff, even now in raids on MMO's a GPU can chug a bit if you have everything dialled into 11.

It is great that AMD have a win under their belt and something to brag about. When you take games like Assassin's Creed Syndicate (which does look good btw) and look at performance levels, with everything maxed out, frames can drop to high 30's, which on a GTX 1080 is quite crap. ID Software have shown that you can have a great looking game with sweet visuals and some really playable frames. Vulkan I first tested in The Talos Principle (a must buy for puzzle fans) and back then, I could see some potential in it, albeit it was only a game wrapper. Hopefully we get some decent game engines that have other API alternatives to DX12/11 and more Vulkan choices. Mind you, with the performance of GCN, AMD will go bust because older cards are getting great performance so no need to buy a new GPU :D

Caporegime
Greg, on the Vulcan side, at the start where you are doing the settings, i noticed you had one of the settings set to ULTRA, but on OpenGL its set to Nightmare, does this setting not work on Vulcan? ie does it only go to Ultra on Vulcan?

Ahhhh FFS, I have used the wrong vid Arghhhhhhhhhhh :mad:

I am not doing it again and will do a more proffesional one tomorrow with some better matched up gameplay

Associate
In computerbase.de's test, even Nvidia does have better performance there with Vulkan. I quess in Nvidia's case it's just harder to find scenes where additional cpu performance helps, but they are there in the game.

Good video Gregster, thanks for doing this. Clearly shows that Vulkan works great on nvidia aswell.

Last edited:
Soldato
Nothing better than a API releasing and showing great benefits. Hopefully more devs jump at this, will really give Microsoft a push.

Vulkan means more choice of OS we can use also no more drip feed from Microsoft. This one reason I really hope Vulkan does better than directx 12.

Associate
It is great that AMD have a win under their belt and something to brag about. When you take games like Assassin's Creed Syndicate (which does look good btw) and look at performance levels, with everything maxed out, frames can drop to high 30's, which on a GTX 1080 is quite crap. ID Software have shown that you can have a great looking game with sweet visuals and some really playable frames. Vulkan I first tested in The Talos Principle (a must buy for puzzle fans) and back then, I could see some potential in it, albeit it was only a game wrapper. Hopefully we get some decent game engines that have other API alternatives to DX12/11 and more Vulkan choices. Mind you, with the performance of GCN, AMD will go bust because older cards are getting great performance so no need to buy a new GPU :D

the funny part about your post, is that you assume ubisoft have the know how...
they are one of the most incompetent game company i know, they have great IPs and the most horrendous executions ever, their games is a simple copy past and reskin of other games, badly optimized, always bugy.
i stoped buying any of their games for 2 years now, missed nothing, wanted the division, but as expected turn out crap like the rest, an MMO dead within 2 months, thats quite the acomplishement.
ubisoft have no talent left, the only one seem to be south park studio and those are basicaly the writers.
ubisoft games shouldn't be used for benchmarking if you ask me.

Caporegime
one of the benefits of async is this texture popin, executing simultanously garphic and compute should enable faster texture and particles pop up after loading well at least for GCN cards, and i would expect it to be a bit worse with pre-emption (nvidia), if the workload is bigger than opengl/dx11 that is.
what GPU do you have ?

980Ti. It 'seems' worse with vulkan where pop-in is concerned, though performance with both API's is great.

Soldato

Settings not the same and noticed openGL better frame rate time to time. Would say very much on par here.
Upload again with matching settings?

On AMD Vulkan owns OpenGL by quite some margin.

Associate
Nothing better than a API releasing and showing great benefits. Hopefully more devs jump at this, will really give Microsoft a push.

Vulkan means more choice of OS we can use also no more drip feed from Microsoft. This one reason I really hope Vulkan does better than directx 12.

^ Agree i am sure M$ are going to wake up now

Great work on the khronos group
we all need this devs and gamers alike

great victory for AMD

Will not be long now when i can use Linux as my gaming platform :)

and with that M$ can shove there bloated ad / spyware OS's where the sun don't shine

Last edited:
Caporegime
Due to the performance increases i am now finding it difficult to stay within the FreeSync range as i find myself exceeding 60FPS at 4k frequently, even without CrossFire.

I've had to put my Pro Duo back to stock and I'm still shooting past 60FPS in non demanding areas under Vulkan. Might have to underclock for the time being because of that Vsync bug, not sure how i feel about this. :p

Associate
980Ti. It 'seems' worse with vulkan where pop-in is concerned, though performance with both API's is great.

you dont need to use vulkan, nvidia already works flawlessly on opengl, at practicaly it's max compute, so you are not losing anything.
if you didnt have opengl option, now that would have been an issue :D

Caporegime
the funny part about your post, is that you assume ubisoft have the know how...
they are one of the most incompetent game company i know, they have great IPs and the most horrendous executions ever, their games is a simple copy past and reskin of other games, badly optimized, always bugy.
i stoped buying any of their games for 2 years now, missed nothing, wanted the division, but as expected turn out crap like the rest, an MMO dead within 2 months, thats quite the acomplishement.
ubisoft have no talent left, the only one seem to be south park studio and those are basicaly the writers.
ubisoft games shouldn't be used for benchmarking if you ask me.

Have you played The Division? It is a really good looking game that runs very well. Sure it has its bugs but for a UBI game, it is very well done. Frames are fantastic as well for such a jaw droppingly visual experience.

Settings not the same and noticed openGL better frame rate time to time. Would say very much on par here.
Upload again with matching settings?

On AMD Vulkan owns OpenGL by quite some margin.

Can you not read?

Back
Top Bottom