• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Doom Vulkan vs Open GL performance

Associate
Due to the performance increases i am now finding it difficult to stay within the FreeSync range as i find myself exceeding 60FPS at 4k frequently, even without CrossFire.

I've had to put my Pro Duo back to stock and I'm still shooting past 60FPS in non demanding areas under Vulkan. Might have to underclock for the time being because of that Vsync bug, not sure how i feel about this. :p

pff you are so hard to please :D

Soldato
Due to the performance increases i am now finding it difficult to stay within the FreeSync range as i find myself exceeding 60FPS at 4k frequently, even without CrossFire.

I've had to put my Pro Duo back to stock and I'm still shooting past 60FPS in non demanding areas under Vulkan. Might have to underclock for the time being because of that Vsync bug, not sure how i feel about this. :p

Will frame limiting under Crimson not help with this?

Caporegime
you dont need to use vulkan, nvidia already works flawlessly on opengl, at practicaly it's max compute, so you are not losing anything.
if you didnt have opengl option, now that would have been an issue :D

I think I'm seeing better minimums with vulkan, though I can't be sure. Just wanted to try it out.

Associate

FRTC would be a great fix for this. Unfortunately it doesn't work with the game, is this a fault with DOOM or does FRTC not work with Vulkan in general?

Associate
Have you played The Division? It is a really good looking game that runs very well. Sure it has its bugs but for a UBI game, it is very well done. Frames are fantastic as well for such a jaw droppingly visual experience.

yes i played the beta, played the first day somehow enjoyed the game, but found it lacking on content, even though it was a beta, so was still on the fence, 2nd and 3rd day i was plagued with a memory leak bug, i couldn't play at all, so i gave up.
but afterward, reviews, ppl, and my friends all told me the same, the game has no content, there is a lot of bugs, a lot of cheating, not enough ppl playing anymore after couple months, to me the game was a flop, and that seem to be the case for every game they released for the last 3-5 years, except indies they chaperon and south park.

Last edited:
Caporegime
yes i played the beta, played the first day somehow enjoyed the game, but found it lacking on content, even though it was a beta, so was still on the fence, 2nd and 3rd day i was plagued with a memory leak bug, i couldn't play at all, so i gave up.
but afterward, reviews, ppl, and my friends all told me the same, the game has no content, there is a lot of bugs, a lot of cheating, not enough ppl playing anymore after couple months, to me the game was a flop, and that seem to be the case for every game they released for the last 3-5 years, except indies they chaperon and south park.

Well I am 527 hours into the Division but sure, if you think it is crap, that's cool :)

Soldato
Right, my last test and a **** poor side by side comparison with OpenGL Vs Vulkan. More frames on Vulkan but both felt super smooth and no problems at all. Great that there is a choice if someone is having issues :)

As others have pointed out - your using higher settings for OpenGL, which lowers FPS compared to Vulkan.

As I've told you several times, run Doom on OpenGL for NVIDIA cards, as Vulkan provides less performance for NVIDIA cards currently.

No need to spend hours of your time trying to benchmark what's already been benchmarked by reputable sources, for example:

aWKwjlK.png

Reputable source: http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/new-patch-brings-vulkan-support-to-doom.html

Suspended
If you can't understand my answer, even though I explained it simplistically, nothing more I can say really.

Sounds like your scared to answer a simple question be it blind loyalty or bias to Nv since you haven't said otherwise.

Leaving me to conclude that your stance is still routing for Nv Async hardware capable on both Maxwell/Polaris.

I'm not saying you are right or wrong btw as Nv aren't helping matters by obfuscating the answer even though so far there is zero evidence that they have the hardware capability due to the repeated 'working on it' over various titles and api's now since Aots.

Imo fwiw, it's not looking likely on Maxwell and who knows for Pascal but a higher chance it can't than can at this moment in time.

:)

Associate
As others have pointed out - your using higher settings for OpenGL, which lowers FPS compared to Vulkan.

As I've told you several times, run Doom on OpenGL for NVIDIA cards, as Vulkan provides less performance for NVIDIA cards currently.

No need to spend hours of your time trying to benchmark what's already been benchmarked by reputable sources, for example:

aWKwjlK.png

Reputable source: http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/new-patch-brings-vulkan-support-to-doom.html

But i like gregster ghetto mini reviews than some corporate slide show :p

Associate
You AMD guys need FastSync. Really does work a treat :cool:

It would be nice if AMD introduced some similar technologies of their own. The last NVidia gpu I had was a 7900GT and I must say they have added a lot of nice features since then.

These vsync related ones would be useful as I don't want to tie myself to a GPU vendor with freesync/G-sync monitors. Too many games release with broken vsync implementations and being able to override them with something that works would be good.

Soldato

aWKwjlK.png

Gregster not reputable?

Caporegime
Sounds like your scared to answer a simple question be it blind loyalty or bias to Nv since you haven't said otherwise.

Leaving me to conclude that your stance is still routing for Nv Async hardware capable on both Maxwell/Polaris.

I'm not saying you are right or wrong btw as Nv aren't helping matters by obfuscating the answer even though so far there is zero evidence that they have the hardware capability due to the repeated 'working on it' over various titles and api's now since Aots.

Imo fwiw, it's not looking likely on Maxwell and who knows for Pascal but a higher chance it can't than can at this moment in time.

:)

Conclude what you like. My answer was there and I also added go and ask NVidia if their hardware supports Async. Nothing more I can add really but go with whatever you like to think :)

Caporegime
Will frame limiting under Crimson not help with this?

FRTC is not working for me under Vulkan at the moment. I'll raise this internally.

FRTC would be a great fix for this. Unfortunately it doesn't work with the game, is this a fault with DOOM or does FRTC not work with Vulkan in general?

Update: FRTC is currently supported on DX9/10/11 at the moment. Use MSI AB for now.

Last edited:
Soldato
Gregster not reputable?

Not IMO, since he can't even run an apples to apples benchmark. Not that wee need him to, since there are many benchmarks from reputable sources out there, all showing NVIDIA gaining nothing from Vulkan.

OpenGL works best for NVIDIA, and obviously completely outperforms any AMD card in the same range.

Back
Top Bottom