Complete and absolute novice

Man of Honour
So I'm almost sure I'm going to be getting a bike in the next few weeks. I sat on one for the first time ever today but have wanted one for years. I've got a pre-CBT booked for next week with a provisional CBT booking for the week after and went to look around today scouted out the 125s the local garages (Craig's cycles and Padgetts) had in.

I looked at a KTM but wasn't that keen. Looked at a Yamaha race type bike and wasn't too keen on that either, I want to be a bit higher up than that to see what's going on around me but I don't like crosser type bikes. That led me to a Yamaha MT-125. This fit me like a glove, it's a weighty bike but felt planted (only sat on it, but the smaller ones felt a bit too lightweight).

It's mostly going to be used for commuting. Is there a reason I shouldn't buy it? The offer is £4.1k on a 0% deal that doesn't have penalties for early repayments. Seems like a good deal to me, I wouldn't want to buy second-hand really as I've no idea how to maintain them.

Any hints, tips and assistance appreciated :)

Caporegime
Immediate thoughts are

- What the hell's a 'pre-CBT'? The CBT is so laughably easy that it's a waste of time. Just book a CBT with somewhere that guarantees free retakes if you're worried that you're incapable of getting sign off. On the other hand if it's a free taster, then why not.

- Spending £4k on a 125 that you'll probably decide is too slow for you after approximately 5 minutes usage, is possibly a decision you'd regret. I spent £1k less than this on a two year old faired SV650S in excellent condition.

- You strike me as quite old (mid 30s?) so under the massive assumption that you have some money, I'd recommend you get booked onto a DAS course and skip the 125 purchase. Subject to your normal commuting conditions.

- Motorbikes are a fantastic and fun way to get to work. Whatever you decide, have fun and good luck!

Last edited:
Soldato
Don't buy a brand new 125, for these reasons:

You'll be wanting to do your full licence in 3-12 months after being on a 125, especially if you're commuting on it.

You still have to maintain a new bike, i.e. check and lube and adjust the chain, and although a new bike will be under warranty if you buy a decent used 125 you won't need to do much, if any maintenance. Also, bikes are dead easy to work on, pretty much anything bar some engine stuff is DIY'able.

You'll lose money when you come to sell (see point number 1) where as a used 125 for £1500-£2k will still be worth what you bought it for 12 months later.

If you want a proper sized 125, get a honda varadero 125. i'm 6ft 3 and was nice and comfy on mine, I did 7000 miles over 6 months on mine, it never missed a beat.

Associate
Immediate thoughts are

- What the hell's a 'pre-CBT'? The CBT is so laughably easy that it's a waste of time. Just book a CBT with somewhere that guarantees free retakes if you're worried that you're incapable of getting sign off. On the other hand if it's a free taster, then why not.

- Spending £4k on a 125 that you'll probably decide is too slow for you after approximately 5 minutes usage, is possibly a decision you'd regret. I spent £1k less than this on a two year old faired SV650S in excellent condition.

- You strike me as quite old (mid 30s?) so under the massive assumption that you have some money, I'd recommend you get booked onto a DAS course and skip the 125 purchase. Subject to your normal commuting conditions.

- Motorbikes are a fantastic and fun way to get to work. Whatever you decide, have fun and good luck!
Pretty much this. Guy at work did his cbt a month ago (he is late 40's) and he is already complaining how slow and bored he is of a 125 already.

Last edited:
Soldato
I would never pay 4.1K for a 125cc, 4k+ is 400cc+ territory. If you don't want to buy used why don't you start with a Yamaha ybr125 or a Honda CB125F it will save you at least 1.5k.

Now what I would do in your position, I would get a cheap used 125cc, easier than a car to maintain, even if you don't know how to, it will be cheap to pay someone to do for you... Would learn how to ride properly, after couple of months would get a full licence and a bigger/better bike for your £4k... 5k can get you some good brand new 500cc, 650cc etc..

Man of Honour
OP
Pre-CBT is offered by all local learning facilities round here. It takes you through the controls of a bike, etc. I didn't want to take anything for granted having never ridden a bike. They say that a little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing. It's not free though, so if you honestly feel someone that's never been on a motorbike with the engine running could pass it... Hm.

The CBF125 looks ok. Seems I was in a Yamaha garage rather than a general one selling all sorts. Will go to the Honda one run by the same people tomorrow and compare :)

Soldato
For £4.1k you could almost get your full licence and a decent second hand 'big' bike.

As already said, you'll find a 125 too slow after about 5 minutes of riding.

Don't do 'pre-cbt' stuff unless you literally have no confidence and have no idea how a bike works - I haven't actually ever heard of a pre-cbt, no where round me offers them and looking online not a lot of companies do at all.
Judging by your other posts you seem to know how a motorised vehicle works... CBTs are moronically easy to pass.

But then I've given this sort of advice to people before and they don't listen. A few days later they come to me complaining that they're bike is too slow and that biking is expensive. It's not, just listen to the advice of other bikers. :)

Soldato
I had a cbf125 for nearly two years and did 12k on it commuting in to Manchester and back 30miles in total a day. Loved it, light and upright so great for commuting. Plus 320+ miles to £12 of petrol was awesome! :p

Even 125's are fun, I very rarely get chance to go out on rides for pleasure so a 125 didn't bother me as extra power in rush hour isn't that big a deal.

I found the carpark section of the CBT really frustrating as you have to get used to gears etc in confined spaces. Once you get out on the road it's 100x better.

Man of Honour
Take the money for the yam, do your DAS, buy a 2nd hand big bike, thank us later. You'll probably even have change from that £4k for a beer or 5 to celebrate.

Associate
I did my CBT last November, and I was immediately suckered into buying a new bike (WR125X) that lasted me around 4 months before I took and passed my DAS, and upgraded to a husky 701.

My advice would be, do not buy new. A 125 is fun at first, and you do get some great road experience, but the lack of power soon wears thin. I lost 1.2k by buying new.

Getting a decent secondhand should be cost neutral, or perhaps a small gain on selling it (which you will.)

Also, whilst you might not be keen on the looks, if you can get a go on the yammy wr125x, you should give it a go. Having one converted me to supermoto. The height alone makes me feel much safer on the road, as I can see over every car (being 6'2.) They're fantastic commuters (their thin profile makes filtering a breeze) and a lot of fun. They are super light too, so risk of leaning and dropping is virtually zero.

Soldato
Take the money for the yam, do your DAS, buy a 2nd hand big bike, thank us later. You'll probably even have change from that £4k for a beer or 5 to celebrate.

This. If you are biking mainly for the pleasure of it, then I strongly suggest doing the DAS and getting yourself onto something with a reasonable amount of power.

If you just want something cheap to commute reasonably short distances on, then buy a s/h Japanese 125. £4k is an insane amount of money to spend on a 125 IMO.

Associate
I personally disagree that the pre-CBT is a waste of time, especially when trying to a ride a geared 125 for the first time.

When I started riding a few years ago, I had never even sat on a motorbike before (similar to your situation) and I was thankful I did the pre-CBT first. It meant there were less nerves on the day and you could focus more on road craft.

I do agree with everyone saying you should go straight for DAS though. I had an SV650 straight after I passed which was a good bike to get some experience on. Something with less power than the SV would have been awful.

Soldato
The CBT should cover everything needed, it's made for someone who has never sat on a bike before. They do basic stuff like getting you to push the bike and apply the front brake quickly and then smoothly to show how much it will bite, and clutch control so you get used to the biting point.

If it's free, then go for a "pre-CBT" but if not, it's just a money making exercise.

Soldato
I personally disagree that the pre-CBT is a waste of time, especially when trying to a ride a geared 125 for the first time.

When I started riding a few years ago, I had never even sat on a motorbike before (similar to your situation) and I was thankful I did the pre-CBT first. It meant there were less nerves on the day and you could focus more on road craft.

But they go through all of that on your CBT day. It's not just a test, it's a day of training hence the name. Before the bike is even switched on they will go through all of the instruments and before you're allowed to ride away they will show you and tell you how to ride.

Back
Top Bottom