Complete and absolute novice

Man of Honour
As someone else said find a school at does a 1 fee CBT even if it takes you more than one session then there's definitely no need for any pre CBT stuff.

The whole CBT is designed to take 16 year olds with no idea on how anything in the world works and get them up to a vaguely sensible standard to be out on the road, knowing nothing about bikes is expected and catered for.

Soldato
For what it is worth. Last year I decided to start riding so before doing my CBT i had looked up loads of 125s and decided I would ride that for a year.

Then by the end of the day of my CBT, and it's important to say that was the first time I had ever ridden a motorcycle, I was bored by the 125 power, but not bored of riding the 125.

Decided to not waste time/money on a 125 and just went directly for my DAS and have loved every minute since.

IC3

IC3

Soldato
I don't think the time spent on my 125 was a waste of time, they're really forgiving. Its true that they're lacking power, but it was fun ragging it everywhere whilst still doing the legal speed limits. If you rag a bigger bike, you'll end up losing your license. :(

I had a go on a DT125 Enduro yesterday, 125cc 2T. That was fun, bike was light and had a nice punch. :D

Associate
I don't know if they still do them but Get On (google it) allow you to organise free taster sessions with certain instructors. I did this as my 'pre-CBT' so as to speak and then ended up doing my DAS with the same school about 6 months after my CBT.
My CBT was dirt cheap (about £60 iirc) and it was dreadful. I bought an r125 after that and remember sitting on it for the first time thinking 'I'm really not confident enough to be doing this but here goes'.

In summary,
Try and get a GetOn ride if they still exist.
Don't skimp on a cheap training school.
Don't spend a fortune on a 125, I lost quite a bit of money buying nearly new and swapping it for a 600 6 months later. It's not only the cost of the bike to consider, a new 125 is a fair bit pricier to insure than a used bike as 125s are generally very easy to steal with them being so light.

Edit:
Looks like GetOn still do their taster rides: http://www.geton.co.uk.

Soldato
Yeah if Geton are still going, deffo do this. I did one too about a year before doing my CBT, we did probably 80% of the off road CBT bits, everything apart from gears.

Soldato
I don't think the time spent on my 125 was a waste of time, they're really forgiving. Its true that they're lacking power, but it was fun ragging it everywhere whilst still doing the legal speed limits.

I agree, 125s can be a huge amount of fun but the fun probably lasts a lot longer when it's your first ever mode of transport and you are ragging around with a bunch of mates.

Soldato
As someone who already drives and is road aware you will find the CBT easy. It's all familiarisation with the bike, controls and riding. You can do most of that with the help of a mate and a private car park before the CBT for free.

Man of Honour
OP
That's my problem, none of my mates have motorbikes. If I had that then I wouldn't have even considered it.

Gonna find out if they do a flat fee CBT.

Edit:

If you do not wish to take up this training and subsequently fail to reach the satisfactory CBT assessment level, you would have to come back for a CBT Completion which would cost more than doing this initial introductory riding session.

Man of Honour
OP
How much are they charging for this pre cbt stuff and the actual cbt?

It's £45 for the pre-CBT.

They haven't given a price for the CBT but I've only just noticed it's a full day!

Where are you in the country? Someone may have a recommendation for school to do your CBT at.

I read that as 'when' not 'where' and got confused for a moment :D

I'm in West Yorkshire.

Associate
I did the geton thing last weekend, as I happened to be going to the bikesafe show I figured I may as well. We literally just went in a straight line in first gear, didn't even get to turn. It was only 20-30 minutes so could have just been to cram as many in as they could at the show though.

I have my CBT booked for saturday though. Doing it at ridesure who also offer a 'pre-CBT' course, but I don't see the point in it nor did they even mention it when I called up to book my CBT.

If you can't ride a bicycle (balance) or drive a manual car (understanding clutch/gears) then maybe the pre-CBT might be worthwhile, otherwise it seems fairly pointless tbh.

Man of Honour
OP
I've driven manual and automatic, performance and tractor, cars for years. Fastest ones are hire cars :D

Been able to ride a bike since I was 4.

Maybe I should re-think. Especially now I know the CBT is an all-day event. I'm gonna have to wait a while for one of them. I thought it'd be a couple of hours.

Soldato
Yeah the CBT is a full day - normally the morning is spent in a safe, off road area doing manual handling (moving the bike around, putting it on it's stand) and lots of slow speed stuff, including slalom, sigure of 8's, emergency braking, then on to the gears, then junction simulations where you'll probably have to get up to 2nd/3rd gear, then indicate, life saver, down gears, look both ways, and make the turn all in about 50 meters. If they're happy with that in the afternoon you'll get a 2 hour road ride, where you put the stuff you learnt in the morning into practice.

Show that you're safe and in control and you're done!

A CBT is just the basic training to make sure you can handle the bike, the real learning takes place after that either by getting road experience or doing a full DAS course.

Man of Honour
OP
Weirdly, they're saying it's not teaching you how to handle a bike:

Please note: The CBT course is about teaching you what you need to know to be safe on the roads, not how to ride a bike. If you do not reach the satisfactory level of achievement then you may have to come back to complete your CBT at an additional expense to yourself.

Man of Honour
OP
There's another place nearby that I'm going to call tomorrow :)

Worried the first place are just after £££. That £45 doesn't seem much but could easily buy the gloves I'll need.

Soldato
Weirdly, they're saying it's not teaching you how to handle a bike:

Please note: The CBT course is about teaching you what you need to know to be safe on the roads, not how to ride a bike. If you do not reach the satisfactory level of achievement then you may have to come back to complete your CBT at an additional expense to yourself.

TBH, they sound a little, well... rubbish. The CBT IS about giving the basic training in order to be safe on the road, but a big part of that is showing you how to ride a ****ing bike!!!!

If you don't know how to operate the gears/brakes etc how the hell are you going to be safe on the road!!! :rolleyes:

Here's the CBT Syllabus: https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/377662/compulsory-basic-training-cbt-syllabus-and-guidance-notes.pdf

You'll see from that they cover A LOT on the CBT, everything from theory stuff, to the basic controls, riding checks, how to operate the brakes/clutch/gears, how and when to do lifesavers/mirror checks, and so on, and on, and on...

A CBT should be around £120 for the full day, all you'll need to do is wear jeans and sturdy boots. I'd find another trainer IMO.

Back
Top Bottom