Housing crisis solutions

Soldato
I just don't want to bust out 100 hours a week for something people used to take forgranted.

I do 72 hour weeks often (depending on work load) plus 20 hours travel on top of that, sometimes you have do these things if you want things in life, i now have my own home.
I don't think our parents took things for granted, look at Interest Rates in the 80's and early 90s peaking at 15.00 % :eek::eek:

Caporegime
I do 72 hour weeks often (depending on work load) plus 20 hours travel on top of that, sometimes you have do these things if you want things in life, i now have my own home.

You have to *today*. I don't know why this isn't a problem for more people.

Is working yourself to death a quaint British tendency? Other countries have a concept of work/life balance (except the US who are also obsessed with working 100 hour weeks).

But my friends parents, my uncles, etc... did normal 40 hour weeks and all bought houses without problems.

Heck, there are people in this thread saying they bought a house years ago with no special effort. It was easy. Didn't even need a deposit.

So why today are we happy to have it so hard?

"Don't moan, it's not British. Stiff upper lip and all that. Work yourself to death if you want that house, sonny. But never complain about it!"

Soldato
At least you have a decent wedge of money sitting there FoxEye don't be all doom and gloom:)

I bought my first property in 1998 with a £1500 deposit, then again in 2014 with a 45k deposit, i do know where you coming from, i would hate to live down south with the prices of property the way they are.

Caporegime
You have to *today*. I don't know why this isn't a problem for more people.

Is working yourself to death a quaint British tendency? Other countries have a concept of work/life balance (except the US who are also obsessed with working 100 hour weeks).

But my friends parents, my uncles, etc... did normal 40 hour weeks and all bought houses without problems.

Heck, there are people in this thread saying they bought a house years ago with no special effort. It was easy. Didn't even need a deposit.

So why today are we happy to have it so hard?

"Don't moan, it's not British. Stiff upper lip and all that. Work yourself to death if you want that house, sonny. But never complain about it!"

here you go

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-55502194.html

3 bed semi detached £42,500

Caporegime
well if a farmer is raising cattle on land that he could grow crops on then he's pretty dumb

but you'll find that cattle, sheep etc.. are often raised in areas where conditions aren't so ideal for crops... I mean you can raise sheep up Welsh mountains or in the Scottish Highlands, Cattle can be raised in desert areas of Nevada even... it isn't like someone would otherwise have planted a field of maze in some of these locations.

This is 100% not true.

Lots of fields round my way are put down to grass to make hay. They could all grow crops on quite easily. The only problem is they're on a bit of a slope.

You don't have to have perfectly flat fields to grow crops on, the plants don't at all mind growing on a bit of a slope ;) Yes it may require a little bit of effort, but you'll find in many parts of the world crops are grown on steep hills.

But round here about 50% of all the fields are just growing grass. Seems like a massive waste to me.

Plus all the health advice is that we're eating too much meat.

Anyway, last post on that subject as it's off topic.

VoG

VoG

Soldato
Is it wrong that I kinda wanna look at this, if I could get a mortgage for 200k and put an offer in for 110k. Do you think 90k would be enough to get it decent?
http://www.rightmove.co.uk/s6p/30280810

I don't think 90k would cut it tbh, not unless you're a builder/diy god & prepared to do all the work yourself over a number of years, even then, I seriously have my doubts, more like 150k?.

Soldato
I don't think 90k would cut it tbh, not unless you're a builder/diy god & prepared to do all the work yourself over a number of years, even then, I seriously have my doubts, more like 150k?.

Yeah that's what I thought, I can do most of the carpentry/ roofing as that's what I originally trained as. I can do all the wiring and plumbing to a point will need a gas safe engineer for the boiler.

As for plastering and actual building I need to either beg mates or stump up the costs.

The other property I like is this one
http://zo.op.la/bi1kVh

Caporegime
This is 100% not true.

Lots of fields round my way are put down to grass to make hay. They could all grow crops on quite easily. The only problem is they're on a bit of a slope.

You don't have to have perfectly flat fields to grow crops on, the plants don't at all mind growing on a bit of a slope ;) Yes it may require a little bit of effort, but you'll find in many parts of the world crops are grown on steep hills.

But round here about 50% of all the fields are just growing grass. Seems like a massive waste to me.

Plus all the health advice is that we're eating too much meat.

Anyway, last post on that subject as it's off topic.

Perhaps you need to read my post again and explain what part of it isn't true?

I mentioned the Scottish Highlands, Welsh mountains and the Nevada desert and you decide to talk about fields with slopes... you've not disputed anything.

I didn't say that no farmer farms on slopes on conversely I actually said that raising cattle on land you could go crops on is pretty dumb

Caporegime
But that's the thing, it's not just my area. Or just London.

Is there any place now where the average 3-bed house price is 3-4x the average wage?

So 100k for a 3-bed house... where can you get that in this country anymore?

In my area there's a semi 3 bedroom with conservatory for 65 (No doubt it'll be available for 60).

It's not in great condition by any stretch, but it's easily do-able.

That said, wages aren't great in my area, but I'm able to afford it by myself and I'm only on an Apprenticeship (I'm on over double what most apprentices are on though in the area) A lot of this is down to the fact I'm able to save 500 a month as it stands at home, and my Mam's giving up 10K of her houses equity for me.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-36217902.html

In fact, there's an even cheaper house ; http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-60576689.html

But for someone who's 30 and is on a stable wage, and has been able to save for a few years, it's pretty do-able here.

That said, I do obviously think there is a problem with house prices, our house is about 4 times what it originally cost, and we've been here about 15 years.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I'm guessing not many are doing this here? Buying up houses, doing them up then selling them?

Wouldn't be worth it.
They wouldn't sell mainly due to the area.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-58070861.html

Take that for example, it's not in the greatest of areas, but it's a nice house, yet it's been up for 4 months.

I'd quite happily jump into it now with an offer of 65, but my Mam won't let me live there, nor would my partner :p

Back
Top Bottom