Did the Moon-men have a sense of humour?

JRS

JRS

Soldato
The shots of earth from earth orbit.

Yes, but which ones?! :p The ones from the practice broadcast which were indeed from Apollo 11 in low Earth orbit before the TLI burn? And have been acknowledged to be from low Earth orbit by everyone involved, but which Bart Sibrel and his cadre held up as evidence of the whole mission being faked?

It doesn't, but does it not sit uncomfortably with you. Lets remember this was a multi-billion dollar exercise and they definitely used filming techniques akin to cinema (and no.... I'm nit saying it was fake and shot in a studio). They had equipment set on timers, positions and angles pre-set.

Its not beyond the realms of rational that ***** were done to save time.

Okay. So let me break this one down. We have two possible scenarios here as I see it.

A) The Apollo 11 crew pre-filmed a broadcast to be shown later in the flight. This was filmed in low Earth orbit. It was used by the flight crew and NASA as a broadcast from further out towards the Moon for....some reason, not really specified, rather than just doing the broadcast from out towards the Moon.
B) The Apollo 11 crew filmed a test broadcast in preparation for a broadcast to be made later in the flight. This was filmed in low Earth orbit. It was used by the flight crew and NASA to test everything for a broadcast from further out towards the Moon....because they didn't really fancy screwing anything up.

Now Sibrel goes with A, and has never really provided a great deal of justification for doing so. Are you going on what he's said? Because if you are, then I'm afraid you're drawing from a source with almost no foundations at all.

Soldato
Nope. Porthole was square. Next.

Really?

9673b_lg.jpeg

Nope... Next

Note: In image that is what you may expect earth to look like

Soldato
Yes, but which ones?! :p The ones from the practice broadcast which were indeed from Apollo 11 in low Earth orbit before the TLI burn? And have been acknowledged to be from low Earth orbit by everyone involved, but which Bart Sibrel and his cadre held up as evidence of the whole mission being faked?

Okay. So let me break this one down. We have two possible scenarios here as I see it.

A) The Apollo 11 crew pre-filmed a broadcast to be shown later in the flight. This was filmed in low Earth orbit. It was used by the flight crew and NASA as a broadcast from further out towards the Moon for....some reason, not really specified, rather than just doing the broadcast from out towards the Moon.
B) The Apollo 11 crew filmed a test broadcast in preparation for a broadcast to be made later in the flight. This was filmed in low Earth orbit. It was used by the flight crew and NASA to test everything for a broadcast from further out towards the Moon....because they didn't really fancy screwing anything up.

Now Sibrel goes with A, and has never really provided a great deal of justification for doing so. Are you going on what he's said? Because if you are, then I'm afraid you're drawing from a source with almost no foundations at all.

B

Man of Honour
I do have one question though out of curiosity given that we have landed on the moon previously is there a reason we haven't returned?

well we did go back, six apollo missions landed on the moon
cost, have you got any idea how much apollo program costed?
and how much rocket launches in general cost.
for what? it was a technological race with russia and america won.
however a new space race is heating up not just with china, but private space as well.
roughly $170bn in 2005 currency
not only was nasas budget cut, but we then changed focus to the ISS which is where the funds now go and the main reason i want to see iss decommissioned, i feel we have got enough out of it, learnt a lot and time to venture back to the moon, but in a permanent iss style.

nasa currently gets about 19bn a year. and obviously fund far more than just manned missions.

unfortunate nasa is told what to do by congress and as such has wasted 100s of billion over the years, and the space launch system is another rubbish project dictated to be senators trying to keep jobs in their county alive. which also why figures are about 500k-1bn a launch and as such wont be used much. As well as being a poor design. but not much nasa can do, when its told it has to use the solid rocket motors and it has to use the shuttle main engines.

congress needs to give nasa clear goals and stay out of the engineering choices.

Last edited:
Permabanned
I do have one question though out of curiosity given that we have landed on the moon previously is there a reason we haven't returned?

Partly because NASA wants an actual manned expedition to spend long periods of time there (in space in general really, can't do much with a quick pit stop). This requires larger rockets with exceptional amounts of fuel and tech to support a crew for long periods of time. Plus, it can't be that far up on the list of priorities. I imagine the lack of urgency is because... well, what's there? In comparison to Mars and the like at least.

JRS

JRS

Soldato
Que spaceX & the other private sector company's?

Bear in mind also that the private sector has been starting from quite a way behind NASA. Obviously not as far behind the curve as NASA was in the early daredevil Mercury days but certainly a long way from Apollo-era NASA. And it took huge government backing and the culmination of three different projects (Mercury, Gemini, Apollo) plus countless side projects, blind alleys, contractor mis-steps and one ******* awful accident (Apollo 1) to get there.

But yes, I expect that the private sector will eventually send manned missions up to the Moon.

JRS

JRS

Soldato
Done deal then. But was it broadcast at the wrong time??? :confused:

Well, no. As I've said, it's been held up as having been broadcast as live by Sibrel. But as far as I'm aware there's no evidence to support that. It was recorded, and it was published/broadcast. But never by NASA as a faked live transmission.

Man of Honour
also don't forget SPaceX is to unveil their Mars human plans on 27th of september, and will outline a rocket that will dwarf the saturn V. it will be live streamed for those who are interested.
just don't belive Elons time lines, other than that hes good at delivering what he says, just very late.

Soldato
Well, no. As I've said, it's been held up as having been broadcast as live by Sibrel. But as far as I'm aware there's no evidence to support that. It was recorded, and it was published/broadcast. But never by NASA as a faked live transmission.

Fair enough then. I was wrong.

Man of Honour
Will that include the nifty Marvel Comics inspired space-suits? :D

we don't know but its very likely.
next few years are very exciting indeed.

moon express have also signed two rocket launches for 2017 to go to the moon and try and win lunar x-prize and part of the winning prizes are for filming apollo sites.

hopefully an f9 first stage will be re-launched sometime before the end of the year as well.

Back
Top Bottom