RMT to ballot for strike action.

Soldato
Isn't that the exact same deal they refused from the very outset? I bet it is.. but it's 6.23pm and I'm still at work so can't be bothered to do the legwork.. :o

Caporegime
I am still surprised that the City of London and the general public still puts up with all these strikes. If the Government wanted to, it could put an end to it once and for all.

the City of London is only a small area of approx 2 square miles - tis Greater London you're thinking of

Caporegime
If they could cancel this weekend's and swap it for the 12th, that'd be great.

Otherwise I need to bus my way from N London to SW London Sunday evening as I wouldn't be able to get to work from my gf's Monday morning, and I have the 12th off, so strikes wouldn't impact me :p

Soldato
Well done on providing a very precise dissection of my argument and constructive points put forward to advance your own.

Oh, wait.........................

Perhaps people with known medical conditions that have a significant likelihood of causing them to randomly lose consciousness, or at least behave bizarrely, (Even when well managed!) shouldn't be given the responsibility of driving tube trains in the first place.

(See also, Airliners, Buses, erm, Dust carts! (*) )

To be fair, I dont know if he was actually diabetic

Telling "Typhoid Mary" that it is just peachy as long as she washes her hands is all well and good, Personally, I would rather keep her out of the Kitchen!

Man of Honour
Warning for those in London on 6th/7th:

Looks as thought we are in for more chaos tomorrow and Wednesday on the tube and Southern rail:

Drivers on the Circle, Hammersmith & City and Piccadilly lines are planning to strike from 21:30 on Tuesday 6 December and all day on Wednesday 7 December. If the strikes go ahead, services will be disrupted. We will run as many services as possible depending on how many employees are available.

More from TFL:

https://tfl.gov.uk/campaign/tube-strike

Southern drivers in the ASLEF and RMT unions have announced industrial action from Tuesday December 6.*
Unfortunately, passengers are advised to expect a severely reduced and disrupted service on every day while this industrial action is in place.
In addition to this, ASLEF and RMT strikes will affect Southern and Gatwick Express services on the following dates:
Tuesday 6 to Thursday 8 December (RMT conductors’ strike)

More from Southern Rail:

http://www.southernrailway.com/your-journey/strike/

:(

Man of Honour
Anyone know what they're striking for this time?

For the tube:

The dispute on the Circle and Hammersmith & City lines is over working conditions including how long drivers spend on “toilet breaks” with TfL claiming some spend more than an hour – a row revealed by the Evening Standard last month.

On the Piccadilly line the dispute is also over working conditions with the RMT saying drivers are constantly taking the blame from angry passengers when the trains break down.

The union has pictures of three skips at the Northfields depot which are full of metal shaving from train wheels which to be re-profiled to keep them round – taking trains out of service.

Southern:

RMT members plan to strike in a long-running dispute over changes to the role of the conductors.*

The dispute began months ago when Govia Thameslink Railway, Southern’s parent company, revealed plans for drivers to have sole responsibility of operating train doors. It says the proposals are perfectly safe and that a third of trains up and down the country already operation.

The drivers’ union Aslef waded into the row and announced a wave of strike action in protest at the “safety risks” it believes driver-only operation poses.

Soldato
The whole Southern Railway thing is getting beyond a joke now, constant strikes for the past 5 months and now ASLEF are getting involved. Had to move my Christmas plans because the planned strikes just before Christmas, and now they're striking on the weekend I'm going to my mums anyway. Not that they had my support in the first place, but as far as I'm concerned the sooner we bring in Union busting laws the better. If your job is so awful or you don't like the changes in conditions go do something else - except they don't want to do anything else because what other job role is going to pay £35k for non skilled work? (Conductors that is, not drivers)

Had an interesting email from Southern earlier too, because of the ASLEF overtime ban they expect to only be able to run 50% of services through September. What sort of company bases 50% of their business critical activities on the willingness of staff to do overtime?

I hate Southern Railway, absolute joke of a company, the worst commuter line I've ever used.

Soldato
Honestly I'm surprised nobody has sued Southern Rail for "goods not as described" sort of thing on a season ticket. I probably would have throttled somebody or firebombed their offices by now if that was my route to work! Surely some bright spark out there has started action against them? How can you pay thousands of pounds for a season ticket and then essentially not be able to use it? :confused:

The Piccadilly line is my usual route to work. The strike won't change anything because it's been total gash for 2 weeks now due to the wheels not being round or some other half-arsed excuse. I've been steering clear. I presume the Central line won't be affected - besides every man and his dog using it?

Caporegime
To be fair to Southern, and I'm not in a particularly generous mood, from what I understand the franchise contract they are operating under is slightly different to the others - being the most recently renewed. Essentially the government are using Southern as a shield against the backlash to what are their own decisions. Which is why Grayling has been remarkably quiet on the whole farce.

Back
Top Bottom