1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RMT to ballot for strike action.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by OldCoals, Jan 22, 2015.

1. semi-pro waster

Man of Honour

They have however announced a compensation scheme for season ticket holders so you can claim up to one months cost back. I'm not sure what the position is for people who use Oyster cards on a weekly or monthly basis. Refunding 1/12 of the season ticket cost might suggest that they think they've provided 11/12 of the service - as a regular Southern user (and not on one of the worst affected lines) I think they might struggle to evidence that.

2. scorza

Caporegime

Literally no Southern Rail services today from what I've read, certainly none from my station at the moment. A good day to WFH I think.

3. Harlequin

Mobster

local reports of violence to non union drivers trying to get to work

4. Orionaut

Soldato

Most of them.

Who do you think would spout the most Butt-hurt if companies like Southern rail had a larger workforce and no overtime (while maintaining, of course, the same basic wage)

5. CapitalOne

Wise Guy

Southern Rail/GTR couldn't run a bath.
    ASLEF are opportunists.
    RMT, well they can go....

The service has been terrible for 2 years, with maybe a 3 month respite in Q4 2015.

Fine the lot of them, no sympathy any more!

6. Cosimo

Man of Honour

Out until midnight on Wednesday and another 24 hour strike on Friday. So the scumbags prevent over 300,00 people from travelling today and the economy is set to lose millions again. Hope the government introduce legislation to ban rail/tube strikes.

7. Harlequin

Mobster

but 5000 union members can legally do this.....

8. scorza

Caporegime

I kinda think that the unions have a point on this one; when I'm travelling back from London late I appreciate the presence of a guard on the train. I'm sorry that the so-called experts say that it's safe to not have guards on trains, but I just don't believe them - I don't think they've thought about unintended consequences and I can't see how it can be safe on 12 carriage trains full stop. To me it sounds like another case of an expert finding what whoever pays them wants them to find.

9. Harlequin

Mobster

it wont be long till they haver driverless trains ; have you been on the paris metro or the german u0bhan recently? they have automated operation as they have in rome and barcelona

10. Tunney

Capodecina

You're in luck as Chris Grayling wants to do exactly that.

I guess it's a total coincidence that people within Southern and the unions are excusing Chris Grayling of blocking an agreement that would end the strike. I wonder what he'd gain from it continuing?

11. Harlequin

Mobster

yes chris grayling has gone on the record and said the unions do not want to meet him for talks

12. Columbo

Sgarrista

Short sighted ridiculousness from the unions, this action just makes the case for driverless trains even stronger and will entrench Chris Grayling's position.

It's hilarious some of the hyperbole the unions are spouting and every single reason they regurgitate for striking just does not hold water. I feel so sorry for those affected, particularly when they are shelling out a rather large chunk of change to be serviced by these muppets.

13. Tunney

Capodecina

He's also said that Govia is a private business so it's got nothing to do with him and he's also written a letter saying that he doesn't want railways to end up in the hands of a Labour mayor.

I don't think he's got the passengers best interests at heart.

14. Harlequin

Mobster

whats of interest btw , is trains are already operating as `driver only` on southern

15. rogan

Wise Guy

We shouldnt be banning strikes, we should be heavily fining companies who want to impose sanctions on their staff that are completely negative on their lives. I fully support the southern strikes and the sooner the government intervene in getting southern to DO something, instead of just sitting back and blaming there staff the better

16. Casdawer

Mobster

What sanctions?

I've read what Southern are wanting to implement and I really can't see the issue here.

No one is losing their jobs and there is no change in pay. It's just a role change to modernise the rail service.

Anyone saying that 'guards' make them feel safe must be joking! What power do these 'guards' really have? ZERO

17. do_ron_ron

Sgarrista

I personally believe this is the Tory Govt trying to do a Thatcher. The same problems have been settled in Scotland months ago yet Southern continue with their stance.

18. StriderX

Capodecina

Why doesn't May just send in the boys to beat them up? Worked last time. Plenty of homeless men willing to do the job, solve two problems at once.

19. Glaucus

Man of Honour

by the governments own reports, safety is impacted especially in accidents, as a passenger do you really know what to do in a derailment, fire etc?

on top of that there has already been accidents of trains being moved with people trapped in the doors due to driver only services. Drivers on driver only services are meant to leave the cab and check that its safe to depart, that just isn't going to happen with strict deadlines and length of some trains.

be better to wait till trains are driverless then have guard only trains, rather than the other way around. Or implement better ctv and other technologies for drivers to do multiple roles.
    trouble is southern don't want to do anything apart from cut cost.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2016
  20. scorza

Caporegime

Isn't the real problem here that Govia aren't being penalised financially for this disruption? Where's the incentive for them to sort this out?