RMT to ballot for strike action.

Soldato
Can't wait for driverless trains, sack all the drivers, should do what they've done on the DLR etc etc.

Good service on the DLR today I see...

It wasn't DLR drivers striking today, and you will notice this strike had much less of an effect than recent tube strikes.

But your post does actually make a good point, get unions out of a position of power to disrupt essential services altogether.

Caporegime
Yes but they'll be known to local management who can make a recommendation to the management who select drivers.

so mangers blue eyed boys get a chance, guy the manger doesnt like gets screwed.

gotta love that for fair working environment

Caporegime
It wasn't DLR drivers striking today, and you will notice this strike had much less of an effect than recent tube strikes.

Is that possibly because the DLR carries a fraction of the passenger numbers of the tube and only serves a very specific area of London?

People who have to be present on the trains decided not to be, and so the service couldn't run. In practise it makes no difference that the actual driving part happens without them.

Soldato

But your post does actually make a good point, get unions out of a position of power to disrupt essential services altogether.

The majority of this thread has been about drivers striking, and the comparisons made towards driverless systems and the idea that getting rid of drivers will somehow make everything hunky dory.

My point, and has been throughout, is that getting rid of drivers makes little difference if the people controlling the service are prepared to walk out en masse. Hence my mention of the DLR strike.

Removing unions from a strong position is a difficult fight, and one that will no doubt cause more disruption, and probably on a much larger scale than your average 24/48/72 hour strike.

It might happen, either through the passage of time where the more militant members slowly move on and retire and the newer members are not as active. From personal experience, I can't see that.

The other way is if someone decides to put up a fight and force a change though and ban striking. I certainly wouldn't want to rely on the Underground on that day.

Man of Honour
I don't believe this...

The RMT is planning to strike from 21:00 Saturday 6 February to 20:59 Monday 8 February 2016

Union general secretary Mick Cash:

"With surging Tube demand, and against a background of chronic overcrowding, the union cannot and will not sit back while safety-critical jobs, that are the eye and ears of the service, are ripped away from our stations."

:mad:

Another strike about the closure of ticket offices and changes to work rosters. Are these people too stupid to actually reach any agreement?

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Are these people too stupid to actually reach any agreement?

Takes two parties to reach an agreement.

Maybe it's TfL that are too stupid.....................

safety critical my arse when they defend drivers that rock up ******* from the night before

Or drivers that have a medical condition that cause them to fail a test, a test that is improperly administered according to TfL's own procedures and TfL then go onto incorrectly start disciplinary procedures that again are not applied correctly..............................................

Damn procedures to hell - should be able to sack someone based on simple suspicion and dubious evidence.......................

Last edited by a moderator:
Caporegime
they're basically just Luddites...

ticket offices became partially redundant when oyster cards were introduced, these days when most people have contactless debit/credit cards they're even more redundant, at least at stations on commuter routes

main reason for ticket offices these days is at busy stations in central London that cater to tourists, the rest of them quite rightly should close

Soldato
I don't believe this...

WAT? Didn't they already agree a settlement on the ticket office closures?

Regardless on the stations I visit across the network having them out of the offices and talking to people seems to be improving staff/client interactions.

They're actually talking to people and helping them, rather than barking through a small window at the poor tourists.

Soldato
I am still surprised that the City of London and the general public still puts up with all these strikes. If the Government wanted to, it could put an end to it once and for all.

Back
Top Bottom