Herman Miller Aeron - Questions

Soldato
I am currently looking for a new PC gaming chair, and look for something with some back support that is going to be comfortable to game in.

I am looking at the Herman Miller Aeron currently.

Is this chair as comfortable as everyone seems to make out?
Is it easy to adjust to be comfortable?
Does it require me to have perfect posture at all times, or can I relax in a bit too?
And how much is a fair price to pay for one second hand?

Hopefully someone can answer the questions

Associate
Got these at work, they're good and no they don't help your posture as much they're advertised. I find the arm rests a pain though as when they're set the right height for your arms thats usually the same height to hit the desk.

They'r definitely comfortable to sit in all day but you posture do go to crap as they end up slopping in them, I've upgraded to a sit-stand desk now

D3K

D3K

Soldato
Go to John Lewis and try one.

I researched them for ages. I swallowed the hype, prepared to have my wallet raped, then sat in one... not for me.

I found the Mirra much more comfy.

Soldato
They are generally great, but if you're big (>6ft) then you might find, like me, that the lip at the front of the chair can dig into your thighs after around 2 hours of usage. Not awful, but annoying. It's just the angle of the front lip that needs improvement, everything else is great.

Soldato
got a size c here as im a fatty. initially found myself leaning forward when gaming, but in fps games i just cant lean back in any chair. but chair has come into its own with VR and playing elite with joy sticks, i can be lost for hours. i spent ages trying to get the chair just right but think the missus sussed and tweaked it for me and now its perfect.

but seriously don't go splashing out on chair before trying it out. my brother finds the aeron very uncomfortable and the chiar he has i cant play in.

Soldato
we had them in the office too (USA company had them at all locations)
- as Caff said the front lip cuts (even more, for those <6' with shorter thighs !)
- the rubbery arms are narrow, horrible grippy texture to lean on.
- the deck chair webbing uncomfortbale & cold too
I think the margin on these must be enormous and the company got a good bulk purchase deal.

Personally use a "Varier Variable Balans kneeling chair" as a computer chair.

Associate
They are generally great, but if you're big (>6ft) then you might find, like me, that the lip at the front of the chair can dig into your thighs after around 2 hours of usage. Not awful, but annoying. It's just the angle of the front lip that needs improvement, everything else is great.

Also if you're short like me, it can dig into the back of your knees, but other than that the Aeron is very comfortable. I personally went for the Mirra at home as the front lip can be adjusted to prevent this problem. Had it for 3.5 years now and it's still fantastic for long periods.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for all the feedback guys. Definitely going to try one out. I live near London, so might even be able to go to the showroom.

I'm short (5 foot 4) so I'll need to keep an eye on that front lip issue.

Soldato
Definitely go and try one out, but also, remember that that will give no indication as to how it'll interact with you in a long sitting session.

Then go to eBay - so many deals on these chairs come around, especially from office refurb companies. Sometimes you'll get very lucky on a private sale, but be prepared to wait.

Associate
I've had mine since it was released. Still looks new and feels new, bar it sinks a little after a while.

For posture there is knob on the back which when turned pushes the bottom of the back support in to the base of your spine. If you tend to lean then no chair will help that.

Soldato
I was going to get an Aeron but after sitting in the range I ended up with a Mirra 2. I felt like I sat in the Mirra 2 more whereas the Aeron felt like I was sitting on it.

Soldato
I looked into these when I was looking for a chair and they seemed ok. Some people didn't like the mesh - apparently it wore away at certain clothing more than expected? lol

A few people have mentioned it already but, the chair does come in different sizes (a, b or c if I remember). I'm 6'5 and 17st so I was going to need the 'C' size which is a lot harder to come by. The average seat you'll find second hand will be a 'B' since it fits most people.

As for the armrests, yes, they will be around the same height as your desk. The idea is to have your arms full on the armrests and then the keyboard on the edge of the desk where your hands can reach them. This is where a good monitor stand can help since you can move the monitor closer or further depending on whether you're sitting back or not.

I eventually went with a Humanscale freedom chair with the headrest :)

Associate
I bought one and didn't like it. I just didn't find it very comfortable and ended up selling it and getting a Leap which I love and is a lot cheaper when bought 2nd hand.

Soldato
I actually took a little daytrip to London and visited the Humanscale showroom there before I bought mine lol

It was weird because the showroom was empty and I had a guy give me my own private chair demonstration. I felt bad for the guy since he was going to make a sale from me :/ Still, I made the most of the info he had and ended up finding a second hand one from the great auction site in the sky.

Soldato
OP
I went to London last week, and I finally managed to sit in one. I didn't actually go to the Herman Miller showroom (it's in a building behind turnstile access, and it felt weird), but I sat on one in John Lewis. It felt pretty comfy. The tilt mechanism was quite nice, although not sure how much I would use it.

My current DXRacer is trashed, and I have a bad habit of sitting cross-legged in it.

Associate
Pick up 2 new size B manufacture date 25th May 2016 from ebay today. Listed as used but was covered in wrapping and has the new smell to it, these are brand new. I was amazed and got him to sell me 2 for £530 for the pair (£265 each). I don't think he understod the true value of the chairs, I got very lucky.

Must say it is very very comfortable, but then again I was sitting in a rubbish chair.

jvQYcCA.jpg

Back
Top Bottom