The Grand Tour

Soldato
May is right about the current MX-5! It has to much...stuff now

The people who buy cars like that don't care about things like cruise control or rain sensing wipers (I had one and I don't), they just want something that drives well. It's made it over-priced and added un-needed weight.

I had one, and I do, to an extent. I wanted a car that was fun to drive yet comfortable enough to use for the daily commute and part of that includes having a few luxuries, so I'd disagree with your assessment. It's a perfect compromise if you are limited to owning one car.

As for weight, how much do things like cruise control actually add? Surely in a world of electronic throttles, it's the weight of the switch and then the rest is controlled by the ECU? And, correct me if I'm wrong, but haven't they managed to add these creature comforts in yet still make it lighter than the model it replaced? A great achievement, I'd say.

Soldato
I like the guest "death" section, I always like to see what death is next!!

Also, its clearly done to troll the people who hated the star in a car section, they are having a sly dig :p

I'm not sure that it's clearly done to have a dig at that at all, why would they keep it running every week?

I think there's going to be something in the final episode with all of the celebrities that they're "killing off". Let's be honest, I'm not sure that they'd come on if they knew they were going to spend a minute leading up to a cheesy death.

Man of Honour
That Alfa scene, and the laps around the film set were glorious. Top motoring entertainment 10/10, would watch again/again.

Bit confused as to how that "traffic cone" is supposed to "fit". Not gonna Google it, not gonna think about it any more...

Soldato
Just watched EP5. Best yet I think.

Having said that, I've had a problem throughout the series that had been creeping into Top Gear for a long time. Most of it is just so obviously heavily scripted that you can't get anywhere near suspending disbelief. Less of an issue with EP5 than the others.

An idea for celebrity brain crash. Get celebrities to film movie style stunt driving sequences ending in their untimely death. Could have some fun shooting those but it would be a budget blower.

Associate
Loved the battleships game...

It's like all the jokes they hinted at while with the BBC are allowed now they are on Amazon. I don't know whether I preferred the suggested more than the sometimes cringeworthy and poor taste jokes.

I like the series, but some of it just makes me cringe a little.

Man of Honour
I reckon if they switched around the focus from scripted comedy to reviewing cars out in awesome locations, they'd have one hell of a motoring show, probably the best we've ever seen.

We know they can do it, because segments they've all done prove this. We know they have the filming crew for the job based on what they've done for these three already.

80% cars and roads with the usual Clarkson, Hammond and May banter antics. 20% comedy sketches.

That would be a perfect balance I think.

Soldato
Loved the battleships game...

It's like all the jokes they hinted at while with the BBC are allowed now they are on Amazon. I don't know whether I preferred the suggested more than the sometimes cringeworthy and poor taste jokes.

I like the series, but some of it just makes me cringe a little.

Yep, they aren't held back by the lefty BBC politics this time :)

Soldato
I may get flamed here but I have to ask, do a lot of people actually like Alfa Romeo as a brand?

I always figured it's just because Clarkson is old that he has fond memories of something they did in the 70's or something, because in all honestly, that car looked crap.

Underpowered, overpriced and horrid styling.

Soldato
I may get flamed here but I have to ask, do a lot of people actually like Alfa Romeo as a brand?

I always figured it's just because Clarkson is old that he has fond memories of something they did in the 70's or something, because in all honestly, that car looked crap.

I just don't find the stupid V shaped grille on all recent Alfas at all appealing (it's like a massive hooked nose on an otherwise attractive girl). Then you take into account their quality control seems to vary somewhere between below average and ****e - and I just don't see the appeal.

That was a very nice piece of filming they did for that car though. Lovely in HD with a decent sound system. The production values on GT are great.

Permabanned

Really? Thought it looked great, its looks were the only thing going for it.

Soldato
Christ! I must be getting old....
Got as far as "Golden Earing" getting "electrocuted" and decided **** this, I'm off to bed.

Just so very glad I didn't sign up to Amazon for this drivel.

Meh.

So... how are you watching it then if you don't have Prime?

Living just up the road from Zenos it was nice to see the car get some publicity. Good to see that the MX5 still seems to tick the right boxes for a drivers car. I'll admit to playing a bit of fantasy car specification this afternoon and as much as I love the idea of a GT86 I'd still much rather go for the MX5. The spare £8k would be a nice bonus too!

As for the idea that it is now a bit more plush... I'm all for it and that is coming from someone who only uses theirs as a weekend toy. There is still the basic SE version if you don't want the extras. My only wish is that you can opt not to have the TFT media thingy. I have zero interest in that sort of thing in a car and it looks like an afterthought. Unfortunately so does the radio that sits in its place in the SE!

I'm enjoying the series so far. It isn't "amazing" but it is entertaining for the most part. Just need a couple of proper cheap car challenges now :D

Back
Top Bottom