The Grand Tour

Soldato
May is right about the current MX-5! It has to much...stuff now

The people who buy cars like that don't care about things like cruise control or rain sensing wipers (I had one and I don't), they just want something that drives well. It's made it over-priced and added un-needed weight.

Last edited:
Soldato
Caught up with ep3 last night (the grand tour) and still can't help but notice just how OTT the audiences are. Thought it was just going to be the first one but its still going...

Man of Honour

The people who buy cars like that don't care about things like cruise control or rain sensing wipers (I had one and I don't), they just want something that drives well. It's made it over-priced and added un-needed weight.

The last one has cruise, my wife's does. Not sure the weight of a button on the steering wheel couldn't be addressed by a bigger burp.

Man of Honour
Thought E05 was a very strong episode, good job :)

indeed, great episode. sensible and stupid at the same time how it should be. best so far, no american lap, stll need to ditch teh celeberity bit, but again im sure they'll do that next season they'll learn a lot this year.

was getting mad at micro stuttering, turned out its chrome, switched to Internet explorer and it was fine.
its odd as other amazon stuff doesn't do this just GT and in every episode.

Last edited:
Man of Honour

I think people who buy a nice sports roadster like that want a comfortable drive. A few convenience features go a long way to making it more attractive imo.

Soldato

Have you compared the Mx5 weights for each model? The MK4 is still seriously light for what it is!

Given that things like cruise control and auto wipers are implemented in electronics, the actual weight penalty is hardly anything, its not like its got fully electric seat adjustment or something that actually does add a lot of weight. Cruise control requires ECU programming, pedal switches and a couple of buttons to control it, hardly heavy items turning it into a porker.

You realise the Mk4 MX5 doesn't even have a proper glovebox for example? Its hardly filled with heavy extras, people just like saying these things (over-priced and too heavy) about every modern car nowadays but levelling the accusation against the Mk4 '5 is a bit much IMO. Its actually lighter than the preceding model.

Caporegime
Christ! I must be getting old....
Got as far as "Golden Earing" getting "electrocuted" and decided **** this, I'm off to bed.

Just so very glad I didn't sign up to Amazon for this drivel.

Meh.

Soldato
Loved the battleships and the car test/report (apart from the stupid bit of trying to weigh the cars) but the celebrity bit is starting to really grind me and I may just end up canning the whole series because of it.

Caporegime
I quite enjoyed it too but it feels like it's missing something but I can't put my finger on what. Maybe it just seems too staged now.

It is essentially exactly the same as the old Top Gear. It has always been massively staged. It is a comedy car show, not a documentary.

i thought the last two episodes were a good return to form and were very funny indeed. Loved the renewable car body thing and the animal scales in Morocco.

Back
Top Bottom