The Grand Tour

Soldato
I may get flamed here but I have to ask, do a lot of people actually like Alfa Romeo as a brand?

I always figured it's just because Clarkson is old that he has fond memories of something they did in the 70's or something, because in all honestly, that car looked crap.

Underpowered, overpriced and horrid styling.

None of their cars do anything for me at all, 4C included. It looks horrible.

Caporegime
May is right about the current MX-5! It has to much...stuff now

The people who buy cars like that don't care about things like cruise control or rain sensing wipers (I had one and I don't), they just want something that drives well. It's made it over-priced and added un-needed weight.

You can buy a basic model without that, don't fall for the TV guff. Even then what weight is cruise control and rain sensing wipers going to add? 50g?

Soldato
I may get flamed here but I have to ask, do a lot of people actually like Alfa Romeo as a brand?

I always figured it's just because Clarkson is old that he has fond memories of something they did in the 70's or something, because in all honestly, that car looked crap.

Underpowered, overpriced and horrid styling.

They look nice, thats about it. Everything else is pretty...meh. Most of them end up being bargain basement priced cars after a few years because they don't tend to last very long.

Man of Honour
They have completely removed any form of sensible comments on cars, sadly, it's now just a smarmy comment after another. Meh.

Caporegime
I'm increasingly starting to think the grand tour isn't shaping up to be as good a car show as the last Top Gear series - I didn't expect to be thinking that after watching that series mind you - but, I agree with Houseys comment, very Meh.

Soldato
I'm increasingly starting to think the grand tour isn't shaping up to be as good a car show as the last Top Gear series - I didn't expect to be thinking that after watching that series mind you - but, I agree with Houseys comment, very Meh.

Agreed - I reckon the best of Chris Evan's Top Gear was better than the best of The Grand Tour so far.

TGT just feels like every "challenge" or feature lacks a purpose or direction. Like they're under the impression that people just like three men dicking around in cars, when really people enjoy there being some form of purpose or story. A good example of getting it right was the Romanian special ("Bentley", Mercedes S Class and Rolls Royce). It was clearly scripted, but because there was some background purpose, it felt less like a few clearly staged events at specific locations and more like an actual journey with stupid stuff happening on the way.

I have Prime anyway, so shall continue because I used to really enjoy TG - the last of Clarkson/May/Hammond's series was really good too, so I assume they've not forgotten how to make it work...

Sgarrista
Commissario
I think its pretty obvious that given the huge variance of episodes the first season they are simply sticking feelers out to see what ticks the boxes for people.

Soldato
I just hope they are going to have a proper, episode long roadtrip special. I enjoyed those bits the most by far and mostly just used to skip the studio stuff.

Man of Honour
Maybe they looked at the feedback on the test driver and edited that section out, sticking in some other filler bits. Will have to see if he makes any future appearances.

I doubt they made any changes this season, but they did say before it aired they were trying out a bunch of different stuff, it'll be next season that we will see changes.

Soldato
Personally I am not very impressed by this show, it just isn't very good IMO.
I just miss old top gear, the £100 car and the £10k super car challenges, amphibious cars, the epic road trips and car vs trian, plane etc races, Reliant space shuttle, the Polar special and so on.

Soldato
I doubt they made any changes this season, but they did say before it aired they were trying out a bunch of different stuff, it'll be next season that we will see changes.

Exactly. They have them for 3 series so they'll inevitably make changes between them based on feedback. For what its worth people I know who aren't really in to cars love it.

The test track is a bit pony. Not sure what they can do about that as they've already started populating the power laps board. Personally I'm not fussed if they ditch that idea all together.

The celebrity thing is difficult because there is no pull for them anymore. While they were doing the promo run for their latest book/film/TV program the Beeb could just drive them to the Top Gear track for a spin in the reasonably priced car in before taking them to be on the Johnathan Ross show or whatever. I'd like for them to be brave enough to just drop it without this stupid placeholder/transition brain crash thing that stopped being funny on week two (and that is being generous).

It is a little lacking though. I mean, what difference did it make that they were in 3 different cars this week? For the purposes of the feature they could have been in anything as the car wasn't the defining factor. I wonder if they are either avoiding or not able to do the scored challenges as it sits too closely to the old format? At least that put the focus on the cars rather than some contraption that the team knocked up for a slightly drawn out sketch.

Soldato
The problem with celebrity interviews is that old new Topgear started in 2002, long before the idea of reruns on Dave or the concept of iPlayer had been considered. The plan was to do an interview with a celeb who had a film/book coming out and then that interview would be lost to time. That doesn't work so well with an online show where years from now there will be multiple series ready to watch on demand.

Man of Honour
Personally I am not very impressed by this show, it just isn't very good IMO.
I just miss old top gear, the £100 car and the £10k super car challenges, amphibious cars, the epic road trips and car vs trian, plane etc races, Reliant space shuttle, the Polar special and so on.
which happened like once or twice a series, they are what made top gear, however it looks like we will get that, the sand dune buggy tye things in the adverts look like a adventure show.

Caporegime
It is essentially exactly the same as the old Top Gear. It has always been massively staged. It is a comedy car show, not a documentary.

i thought the last two episodes were a good return to form and were very funny indeed. Loved the renewable car body thing and the animal scales in Morocco.

I do think there was more genuine laughter in TG though. There's perhaps 2-3 time an episode now that you an see them genuinely laughing and ad hoc taking the pee. It used to be a lot more than that.

It's good, don't get me wrong, but I'd prefer more spontaneous peeing about.

Back
Top Bottom