BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

maj

maj

Soldato
I recently signed up to BT during black friday as was sick of the price vs performance that I was getting with Plusnet.

Speed has roughly been around these figures since having Infinity 1 installed so I'm more the happy with how things are going so far. Upload speed could be better but can't have it all. Got my money back from Plusnet which was an added bonus :D

This is with the smart hub and I've also configured the 5ghz setting which has improved things too. Everything running off wifi for now till I can get micro server set up in loft and have everything hard wired.

Associate
Hang in there mate. I've been with BT for a good 4+ years now and my experiences with BT have been pretty good. Call them up tell them the issue and they will probably eventually send you a replacement router.

Well after getting the ball rolling with their support it magically started working again one evening. It then worked fine up until tonight when I decided to move it to its permanent position on the other side of the room. After turning it back on it once again got stuck booting up :/.

Spoke to their support again and the guy refused to send me a replacement saying they need to run further 'tests' but will get back to me tomorrow. It'll no doubt take 3-4 days (why?!) for a new smart hub to arrive when they eventually decide I need one so guessing that's no internet for the Christmas period unless I buy my own equipment.

Reading online there are so many people reporting this issue with the smart hub. How is it possible that such a huge flaw goes unfixed for so long and also how can the support be so utterly clueless about the problem existing in the first place :(. Does anyone have a direct number for actual tech support at bt (ie not morons just following a script)?

Soldato
Well after getting the ball rolling with their support it magically started working again one evening. It then worked fine up until tonight when I decided to move it to its permanent position on the other side of the room. After turning it back on it once again got stuck booting up :/.

Spoke to their support again and the guy refused to send me a replacement saying they need to run further 'tests' but will get back to me tomorrow. It'll no doubt take 3-4 days (why?!) for a new smart hub to arrive when they eventually decide I need one so guessing that's no internet for the Christmas period unless I buy my own equipment.

Reading online there are so many people reporting this issue with the smart hub. How is it possible that such a huge flaw goes unfixed for so long and also how can the support be so utterly clueless about the problem existing in the first place :(. Does anyone have a direct number for actual tech support at bt (ie not morons just following a script)?

Blimey. In the past BT have always seemed accommodating to me when I've called them.

What I'd do is call them up and talk to them again. By speaking to someone else you may just get sent a new router.

What is your actual problem?

Associate
My hub is stuck at the green light booting stage (google smart hub green light of death :p).

@PiKe Yeah my preferred option is that but moving house recently plus several unexpected large bills plus Christmas means that I'm trying to avoid any additional outlay! Also their hardware should..you know...work.

KIA

KIA

Man of Honour
Speed has roughly been around these figures since having Infinity 1 installed so I'm more the happy with how things are going so far. Upload speed could be better but can't have it all. Got my money back from Plusnet which was an added bonus :D

55/10?

Looks like you have max upstream sync.

Associate
Hello people of BT. Looking to join to escape from Virgin Media woes.

1. How's your peak time performance? Anyone have issues with that on BT?

2. I'm using an RT-66NU with the Virgin router set to modem mode. I take it I can't do that with BT? If that's the case, how's their kit?

Soldato
BT's router isn't too bad.

You could continue to use your existing router. Either stick it into AP mode and use it for wireless only, or get hold of a Openreach VDSL modem. Every fibre connection used to be supplied with an Openreach modem so there are loads of used ones available.

If you're moving to a VDSL connection (e.g. BT Infinity) don't just limit yourself to BT. There are a multitude of ISPs who can provide basically the same 'fibre' service so shop around. Don't forget to check for cashback offers and other introductory offers.

Associate
BT's router isn't too bad.

You could continue to use your existing router. Either stick it into AP mode and use it for wireless only, or get hold of a Openreach VDSL modem. Every fibre connection used to be supplied with an Openreach modem so there are loads of used ones available.

If you're moving to a VDSL connection (e.g. BT Infinity) don't just limit yourself to BT. There are a multitude of ISPs who can provide basically the same 'fibre' service so shop around. Don't forget to check for cashback offers and other introductory offers.

I have indeed had a shop around and combined price to service I can expect, BT seems to offer the least worst solution for me. Origin was a close second as a more expensive option with a longer contract.

Sky currently offer unlimited (40/10) all in, inc line rental for £30 and Max (80/20 if your line can support it) for £35 all in.

Thanks MissChief - with discounts and cashback, BT works out cheaper whilst providing more services and on a shorter contract. Sky also seems to suffer from utilisation issues as much as Virgin does. I'll be going to them for Sky Q though, most likely via the LG offer.

Soldato
If you're getting TV from Sky it makes sense to get their broadband unless there's a really good reason not to.

You can't generalise peak time congestion issues, they are by their nature very regional. I've never seen anything to suggest that Sky suffer anymore than any other provider.

Soldato
I have indeed had a shop around and combined price to service I can expect, BT seems to offer the least worst solution for me. Origin was a close second as a more expensive option with a longer contract.

Thanks MissChief - with discounts and cashback, BT works out cheaper whilst providing more services and on a shorter contract. Sky also seems to suffer from utilisation issues as much as Virgin does. I'll be going to them for Sky Q though, most likely via the LG offer.

Go with Sky.

Associate
Why do Sky tell me I'm not eligible for Fibre Max and I'll get speeds of up to 40mbps when the VDSL checker and other ISPs on the network say I should expect up to 65mbps with lows of 45mbps?

Soldato

This^^^^^

Soldato
Why do Sky tell me I'm not eligible for Fibre Max and I'll get speeds of up to 40mbps when the VDSL checker and other ISPs on the network say I should expect up to 65mbps with lows of 45mbps?

Because sky hugely underestimated max speeds so your speed has to go stupidly low before they will do anything about it, hence the reason I have just gone to BT after 10 years with sky broadband/fibre. My max speed according to sky was 45mb where as everyone else had it down as 65-80, I synced at the full 80 for 2 years until all of a sudden I lost 20mb one day, sky wouldn't do a thing because I was still 15mb above my "Max" speed, so that was my cue to leave and get a better deal with bt. £36 per month (with any time calls) ) £130 Quidco cash back and a £100 gift card

Last edited:

APM

APM

Associate
Hello people of BT. Looking to join to escape from Virgin Media woes.

1. How's your peak time performance? Anyone have issues with that on BT?

2. I'm using an RT-66NU with the Virgin router set to modem mode. I take it I can't do that with BT? If that's the case, how's their kit?

Me too,

so you can't use your own router or set your own DNS with BT?

Back
Top Bottom