BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Soldato
You'll be provided with a Fibre Modem and a BT Homehub. You can ditch the homehub and connect your own router to it with no issues.
You can set up dynamic DNS if you router supports it though.

Kol

Kol

Man of Honour
Not anymore, you get the homehub 6 which has the modem built in now. Or at least I did. Though I had my Openreach modem from my time with TalkTalk which works perfectly with my own router.

Pop on eBay and buy an Openreach modem. It's much more flexible.

APM

APM

Associate
My VM line rental saver expires in Feb sometime and the way VM have been hiking their prices every year now with no added benefits to me makes the TopCashBack BT offer look quite attractive.

Is there anything else I would need to know about BT,do they have anything against P2P for example?

Caporegime
I had a firmware update a couple of weeks ago which left my Hub 6 needing a power cycle and about 15 minutes before it sprang back into life. Then another one on the 21st which caused no issues at all - it rebooted overnight at some point.

It does seem to be rapidly improving - the UI is more responsive, BT Wi-Fi actually activates now, some of the UI bugs have been cleaned up. It's definitely one of the better ISP-provided pieces of kit.

Soldato
Because sky hugely underestimated max speeds so your speed has to go stupidly low before they will do anything about it, hence the reason I have just gone to BT after 10 years with sky broadband/fibre. My max speed according to sky was 45mb where as everyone else had it down as 65-80, I synced at the full 80 for 2 years until all of a sudden I lost 20mb one day, sky wouldn't do a thing because I was still 15mb above my "Max" speed, so that was my cue to leave and get a better deal with bt. £36 per month (with any time calls) ) £130 Quidco cash back and a £100 gift card

I think they're generally just crap at getting things fixed. I'm meant to be on the 38 package but get about 19. They can't be bothered to fix it

Soldato
It's not necessarily about the package, but your line length from the cab. What does http://dslchecker.bt.com say about your line? You may need to use the address checker.

It's not that either, it was fine and then as the cabinet became more populated it got progressively worse. Pretty sure it's just crosstalk... Oh and the line was stable too, so it's not instability, the copper is new too as the house is 2years old

rwdRu0P.png

Modem help
Modem Status Connected
Traffic Type:pTM
Line Rate - Upstream (Kbps):9995
Line Rate - Downstream (Kbps):20000
IPv6 Loopback Address

Last edited:
Soldato
If you're only getting 19Mbps on that connection something is broken or misconfigured. There's no way that it could be expained away as a crosstalk issue, you aren't even getting close to the most pessimistic impacted speed.

The fact that the downstream is pegged at exactly 20000 makes it look like the line may have been incorrectly banded.

Have you asked any of your neighbours what they're getting? At least one of them must have a VDSL connection.

Soldato
There's a fault somewhere. It needs fixing, so request an Openreach Engineer...

Have done, spoke to sky, they spoke to BT, BT came out but they got no report or something. The crosstalk hypothesis was due to it being a little more 'rough' than that before, however, I agree after looking at the sync speed it probably is a fault.

I do want something slightly quicker so may upgrade, need to give them a ring but I really can't be doing with 1st line such as "disconnect all of your devices" as it's clearly an issue prior to demarcation.

Soldato
Have done, spoke to sky, they spoke to BT, BT came out but they got no report or something. The crosstalk hypothesis was due to it being a little more 'rough' than that before, however, I agree after looking at the sync speed it probably is a fault.

I do want something slightly quicker so may upgrade, need to give them a ring but I really can't be doing with 1st line such as "disconnect all of your devices" as it's clearly an issue prior to demarcation.

Have you tried the test socket, etc?

I would contact Sky and insist on an engineer visit.

Caporegime
Might be old enough to have a grey box outside it where the line comes in, though I think they gave up on that when FTTC launched.

It's strange that you even got a line activated as BT would have had to hook their cable up to something, and that shouldn't be a socket provided by the builders. Obviously the explanation of "they couldn't be bothered" is a possibility here.

Back
Top Bottom