Are we seeing a decline in cinemas yet?

Soldato
Or will we, even?

For years we've been hearing folks moan about the spiralling costs of cinema tickets and the associated rubbish you need to buy to go along with it. I'm wondering with the advancement of home cinema tech, online streaming services and fast availability of fresh movies is the industry seeing the large decline in cinema revenues that one would assume they should?

I'm sure I seen some attendance stats last year which indicated a decline but I can't put my finger on any now?

I pass a cinema fairly regularly and it always seems to be bustling with high attendance - although, the showing times seem to be less frequent.

Man of Honour
I don't go to the cinema often. But when I do it's more of a social event and we pick a place with a bar. We avoid any popcorn etc a that's massively overpriced. But meeting for a drink before hand and again to talk about the film afterwards is enjoyable. I don't see cinema's declining as long as they offer the social interaction. I've heard that cinema's are doomed since the 1970's and it hasn't happened yet.

Soldato
I have not been to the cinema in years, in fact I can not even remember the last film I saw at one.

The issue for me is the full cinema experience is not cheap.

Sure you can go and do it on a budget but whats the point of that?

Caporegime
Last edited:
Caporegime
I thought cinema takings has gone up this year?

For me I have limitless so I go to anything that is half decent, whereas before I would only go to the big releases that warrant a big screen experience. I also now time it so I arrive after the ads and trailers and sit down like a minute before it starts. Don't buy any drinks or popcorn and go just for the movie.

Soldato
I have a limitless card and that means I go more often than I would but I don't buy the concessions there. It makes me laugh they can try and make it sound £7.50 is good called for a drink and some popcorn.

One thing that annoys me is the Odeon voice over guy, "and now everyone's favourite part, the trailers". No its not ****tard, everyones favourite is the bit where the film starts after 30 mins of adverts, trailers we've seen before and your annoying voice.

Associate
Well for me personally i would say that i have been to the cinema more in the last few years than i did previously. I do like to see films on the big screen before watching them at home. Over in Australia they are still building them, so there must be some money in them. There is a new shopping centre being built here that will feature a new cinema. Having said that we dont have any of the real flash stuff here, no VIP or 'Gold Class' or whatever you call it over there. Just the regular seats with the basic options on food. I do get my tickets cheap though through Telstra at $12.50 each. Thats about £7.30 per ticket with no restrictions on dates and times. Not sure how that equates to UK ticket prices. There is a little more if you want to see in 3D but that as far as im concerned, that gimic has passed.

Soldato
I can still remember how absolutely livid I was the first time I saw adverts in the cinema. I'm paying £xx to watch a film and you're making me sit through commercials?

I think there was a decline in cinema visitors in the late '90s / early noughties but it's picked up again now.

Soldato
I can still remember how absolutely livid I was the first time I saw adverts in the cinema. I'm paying £xx to watch a film and you're making me sit through commercials?

I think there was a decline in cinema visitors in the late '90s / early noughties but it's picked up again now.

I've never known a cinema without adverts... but when you say it like that, it's pretty bad really.

Soldato
I don't enjoy going to cinema anymore, last year went once and not been this year at all. It's like a Russian roulette whether other people behave themselves or not. Had few films spoiled by people being loud. I'm lucky to have a "man cave" so we just stay in and watch the films on Netflix/Prime.

Soldato
Off to the cinema tonight to see Rogue 1. Last time i was at the cinema i went to see Spectre last year. Never really been one to go to the cinema as the prices are quite bad. But seeing a film on the big screen is a good experience nonetheless.

Soldato
Cinema around here has really come down in price so I go a bit more.

Used to be nearly a tenner a ticket in the evenings now the Odeon is a fiver, the cineworld a bit more but the vue is still a rip off so never go there.

Back
Top Bottom