Airfix

Soldato
This is just my opinion.....

I like the German designed and made harder and steenbeck airbrushes.

Easy to use and clean as they are designed to be used tool less for disassembly and reassembly.

https://www.everythingairbrush.com/airbrushes/harder-steenbeck-airbrushes/airbrushes-harder-steenbeck-airbrushes-harder-steenbeck-airbrushes-ultra/harder-steenbeck-ultra-2-in-1-airbrush.html

This is a good starter kit and the most of the parts are interchangeable with the evolution and infinity.

But only consider this if you intend to carry on with the modelling hobby.

like I said, it's an investment in a the hobby.

Nice to see this thread is still going. I've had a Harder & Steenbeck airbrush for about 7-8 years now and everything Plasmahal says about them is true, really nice quality bit of kit. I've replaced the spray nozzle twice and the internal seals once over that time due to the airbrush being in constant use over those years. My only recommendation is to get the 0.2mm spray nozzle and needle as this will enable you to get a very fine feathered edge and my personal preference for paint is "Mr color" (the old Gunze Sangyo" brand), superbly easy to spray, especially the gloss range of paints, very hard wearing when cured and colors are reasonably accurate.
I also mix up my own thinners which is 50-50 mix of isopropyl alcohol/ tap water with about 5%-10% of retardant to help prevent the nozzle from clogging and slows the drying time a bit.

Last edited:
Soldato
1/35 Tamiya Matilda MK II.

1/35 Tamiya Matilda MK II.

Background:

The Infantry Tank Mark II, best known as the Matilda, was a British infantry tank of the Second World War.

The design began as the A12 specification in 1936, as a gun-armed counterpart to the first British infantry tank, the machine gun armed, two-man A11 Infantry Tank Mark I. The Mark I was also known as Matilda, and the larger A12 was initially known as the Matilda II, Matilda senior or Waltzing Matilda. The Mark I was abandoned in 1940, and from then on the A12 was almost always known simply as "the Matilda".

With its heavy armour, the Matilda II was an excellent infantry support tank but with somewhat limited speed and armament. It was the only British tank to serve from the start of the war to its end, although it is particularly associated with the North Africa Campaign. It was replaced in front-line service by the lighter and less costly Infantry Tank Mk III Valentine beginning in late 1941.

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matilda_II

• Kit Manufacture: Tamiya.
  • Scale: 1/35.
  • Type: AFV.
  • Extras used: OOB + base.
  • Paints and colours used: Primer was Grey Stynylrez. Paints used were Tamiya XF-2, XF-59, XF-3, XF-21, XF-19, XF-4, XF-24 and XF-84.
  • Weathering: Vallejo 70.822 for chipping, AK streaking grime and rain-marks and Flory sand pigments.

Build thread:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235005198-135-tamiya-matilda-mk-ii/

PizEgcT.jpg

YTXL0Xw.jpg

a07ej45.jpg

QuSssoU.jpg

0XAX0cn.jpg

t0Dyx1A.jpg

WanaMCu.jpg

KGWAzF8.jpg

BvFCoEr.jpg

MqgDiAJ.jpg

0F0EdnT.jpg

o5nhyeY.jpg

1jquNog.jpg

J3f0i4I.jpg

zxuRukz.jpg

LEaw3Ay.jpg

5bvNM9j.jpg

Associate
My most recent build, a Trumpeter 1:25 1964 Ford Falcon Futura Convertible:

30847463516_35f94af39c_c.jpg

30767512282_0e41642824_c.jpg

30767512082_f0bab8aae5_c.jpg

Soldato
This is the Bandai 1:12 scale C3PO snapfit kit. Don't let the fact that it is snap fit fool you, it's an amazing quality kit.

Tried to create him as he would appear after being captured by the Jawas on Tatooine so there is a lot of heavy weathering / oil staining going on and tried my best to get a dried desert style base.

Weathering was done with winsor and newton oils, used a 50:50 blend of paynes grey and burnt umber and the oil stains around the chest piece were created with Humbrol gloss oil stain enamel wash. All sealed with a coat of winsor and newton satin varnish. The kit itself is a snapfit that came precoloured however I repainted all the wiring in the torso as the decals were awful. Could probably have done with glueing the parts together which is something I think i will 100% do on the other bandai kits I have got.

30797489771_e70870c209_z.jpg

30254021404_5a7f1afbdc_z.jpg

30797489871_fbbf0992fd_z.jpg

30797490081_b91002d3c7_c.jpg

30254021684_1ddcf64349_c.jpg

30797490161_af23c39157_c.jpg

Soldato
1/48 Fine Molds Mitsubishi KA-14 From The Wind Rises.

1/48 Fine Molds Mitsubishi KA-14 From The Wind Rises.

Background:
The Mitsubishi A5M, formal Japanese Navy designation Mitsubishi Navy Type 96 Carrier-based Fighter (九六式艦上戦闘機), experimental Navy designation Mitsubishi Navy Experimental 9-Shi Carrier Fighter, company designation Mitsubishi Ka-14, was a Japanese carrier-based fighter aircraft. It was the world's first monoplane shipboard fighter to enter service and the direct predecessor of the famous Mitsubishi A6M 'Zero'. The Allied reporting name was Claude.
The Wind Rises (Japanese: 風立ちぬ Hepburn: Kaze Tachinu?) is a 2013 Japanese animated historical drama film written and directed by Hayao Miyazaki and animated by Studio Ghibli. It was released by Toho on July 20, 2013 in Japan, and by Touchstone Pictures in North America on February 21, 2014. The Wind Rises is a fictionalized biopic of Jiro Horikoshi (1903–1982), designer of the Mitsubishi A5M fighter aircraft and its successor, the Mitsubishi A6M Zero, used by the Empire of Japan during World War II. The film is adapted from Miyazaki's manga of the same name, which was in turn loosely based on the 1937 short story The Wind Has Risen by Tatsuo Hori. It was the final film directed by Miyazaki before his retirement in September 2013. The Wind Rises was the highest-grossing Japanese film in Japan in 2013 and received widespread critical acclaim. It won and was nominated for several awards, including nominations for the Academy Award for Best Animated Feature, the Golden Globe Award for Best Foreign Language Film, and the Japan Academy Prize for Animation of the Year.
Source:*https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi_A5M
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wind_Rises

Kit Manufacture: Fine Molds.
Scale: 1/48.
Type: Mitsubishi KA-14.
Extras used: OOB.
Paints and colours used: Primer was grey Stynylrez. Paints used were Tamiya X-13, XF-2, XF-58, XF-49, XF-69, XF-17, XF-7, XF-85 and AK Xtreme metal dark aluminium.
Weathering: Dark dirt clay wash and some rust pigments on the engine exhausts.

Build Thread: http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/...-mitsubishi-ka-14-from-the-wind-rises/​​​​​​​

564RAPw.jpg

40vCURx.jpg

hY0vbsI.jpg

oVlOjlO.jpg

Kgzq3ao.jpg

YbTwP3x.jpg

NaQvaou.jpg

UgPya7t.jpg

Oo7KeUj.jpg

v9ze6TS.jpg

CAYHrip.jpg

QrkeNpv.jpg

QRb4FHQ.jpg

JgxAdAb.jpg

mKlyg1T.jpg

AmvXAmO.jpg

Soldato
I used to cause carnage when I flew A5M's in online multiplayer games of IL2 1946. :D It could perform a split-s in less than 200 metres, so that whenever something got on my tail, I could casually perform a split-s from just over 200m's height, then switch to an external view and laugh as my would be pursuer lawn dart's into the ground after trying to follow me.

Soldato
1/72 Airfix RAF Mustang IV

Hi,

I have completed Airfix's 1/72 RAF Mustang IV as a quick 4 day build. *Started on Thursday and finished today.

Very easy and nice kit to build.

• Kit Manufacture: Airfix.
  • Scale: 1/72.
  • Type: RAF Mustang IV (North American P51-D)..
  • Extras used: OOB.
  • Paints and colours used: Primer was white Stynylrez. Paints used were Tamiya XF-4, XF-69, XF-81, XF-82, XF-83, XF-84, XF-85 and X-35.
  • Weathering: Flory Dark dirt clay wash and some soot pigments on the engine exhausts.

http://imgur.com/a/6XJ1K

Last edited:
Soldato
1/32 Italeri Sabre Jet F86-F

Background:

The North American F-86 Sabre, sometimes called the Sabrejet, was a transonic jet fighter aircraft. Produced by North American Aviation, the Sabre is best known as the United States' first swept wing fighter that could counter the similarly-winged Soviet MiG-15 in high-speed dogfights over the skies of the Korean War (1950–1953). Considered one of the best and most important fighter aircraft in that war, the F-86 is also rated highly in comparison with fighters of other eras. Although it was developed in the late 1940s and was outdated by the end of the '50s, the Sabre proved versatile and adaptable, and continued as a front-line fighter in numerous air forces until the last active operational examples were retired by the Bolivian Air Force in 1994.

Its success led to an extended production run of more than 7,800 aircraft between 1949 and 1956, in the United States, Japan and Italy. Variants were built in Canada and Australia. The Canadair Sabre added another 1,815 airframes, and the significantly redesigned CAC Sabre (sometimes known as the Avon Sabre or CAC CA-27), had a production run of 112. The Sabre was by far the most-produced Western jet fighter, with total production of all variants at 9,860 units.

F-86F

Uprated engine and larger "6–3" wing without leading edge slats, 2,239 built; North American model NA-172 (F-86F-1 through F-15 blocks), NA-176 (F-86F-20 and −25 blocks), NA-191 (F-86F-30 and −35 blocks), NA-193 (F-86F-26 block), NA-202 (F-86F-35 block), NA-227 (first two orders of F-86F-40 blocks comprising 280 aircraft that reverted to leading edge wing slats of an improved design), NA-231 (70 in third F-40 block order), NA-238 (110 in fourth F-40 block order), and NA-256 (120 in final F-40 block order); 300 additional airframes in this series assembled by Mitsubishi in Japan for Japanese Air Self-Defense Force. Sabre Fs had much improved high-speed agility, coupled with a higher landing speed of over 145 mph (233 km/h). The F-35 block had provisions for a new task: the nuclear tactical attack with one of the new small "nukes" ("second generation" nuclear ordnance). The F-40 had a new slatted wing, with a slight decrease of speed, but also a much better agility at high and low speed with a landing speed reduced to 124 mph (200 km/h). The USAF upgraded many of previous F versions to the F-40 standard.

Source:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_American_F-86_Sabre

Kit Manufacture: Italeri.
Scale: 1/32.
Type: Sabre Jet F86-F
Extras used: Aires cockpit ans wheel well sets..
Paints and colours used: Primer was black Stynylrez. Paints used were AK extreme metal black base, aluminium, dark aluminium and jet exhaust. Tamiya XF-7, XF-69 and Vallejo interior green 71.010.
Weathering: Flory Dark dirt clay wash.

hZChkxP.jpg.png

C2zzs6u.jpg.png

MBJFrai.jpg.png

QxsNFOQ.jpg.png

x0jTn6g.jpg.png

IXRkpvZ.jpg.png

QCIH6Hm.jpg.png

spy7iw3.jpg.png

cGrKIge.jpg.png

K8fvRbd.jpg.png

I8wLrGE.jpg.png

7RPnJkJ.jpg.png

lF591E3.jpg.png

4ADQS0M.jpg.png

HKOx4TQ.jpg.png

Sm8qxjI.jpg.png

l9XtXoa.jpg.png

Soldato
1/48 Bandai T-47 Snowspeeder.

Background:

The T-47 air-speeder was a model of low-altitude vehicle manufactured by Incom Corporation. When the Alliance to Restore the Republic was stationed on the icy planet of Hoth, a contingent of T-47 airspeeders were modified to become ground attack, low-altitude fighters called snowspeeders. A small, wedge-shaped craft, the Alliance snowspeeder was a two-man ship, with a pilot and a rear-facing tailgunner. It had two heavy, forward-facing laser cannons and a harpoon cannon fitted in its rear arc. During the Battle of Hoth, these snowspeeders used tow cables to easily take out All Terrain Armoured Transport walkers, by shooting the tow cable, and wrapping it out around the walker's legs, immobilising and destroying the walker.

Source:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/T-47_airspeeder

Kit Manufacture: Bandai.
Scale: 1/48.
Type: T-47 SnowSpeeder.
Extras used: OOB.
Paints and colours used: Primer was white Stynylrez. Paints used were Tamiya XF-2, XF-69, XF-63, XF-19, XF-55 and XF-57.
Weathering: Flory Dark dirt clay wash.

vxGXt5A.jpg.png

iGy8eih.jpg.png

oxl7Q0W.jpg.png

lkWe8jR.jpg.png

9quv1ky.jpg.png

TmQ7fKw.jpg.png

8Mk3zoa.jpg.png

RPhOY1L.jpg.png

7N9xdPG.jpg.png

Lbpy9u7.jpg.png

3WeNPSu.jpg.png

2LGq5GS.jpg.png

9cOyHRk.jpg.png

DBunnsF.jpg.png

Lg20FTa.jpg.png

MH0V1zr.jpg.png

ES4rIiC.jpg.png

Soldato
Stunning!

I love and hate this thread in equal parts. I just have to accept that I'll never have the free time necessary to reach such spectacular heights in the painting department. I fancy building a few more tanks but, as I'm not sure I see the point in me painting them, I suspect it would be a waste.

Last edited:

V F

V F

Soldato
Stunning!

I love and hate this thread in equal parts. I just have to accept that I'll never have the free time necessary to reach such spectacular heights in the painting department. I fancy building a few more tanks as I'm not sure I see the point in me painting them I suspect it would be a waste.

Soldato
My daughter sprung this one on me a few days ago. I haven't given her any help, just a few tips here and there and its not even finished yet, about, 2/3 done, no dry brushing done yet and parts need to be fitted.
Oh and its the first model Shes ever done! surprised the hell out of me.

Back
Top Bottom