Airfix

Soldato
What age is your daughter and what tips did you give her?

Does not compute this is someone's first model.

I've been building plastic aeroplane models for donkeys years, but given my chosen subject, my daughter hasn't shown any real interest in what I do other than a few passing comments. Shes into fantasy comics, films, etc (she has her own collection of comic books, etc, but has admitted to a desire to build and paint figurines.
The only tips I've given her is on the basic techniques of washing, dry brushing, filling and rubbing down, but I haven't done any demos for her, just a bit of advice. Shes 25 yrs old and has an artistic flair, she went to art college a few yeras ago.
What she has got is a tendency of, once she gets hold of a past time that interests her, Shes like a dog with a bone, and won't let go until shes happy with the result.
Everything shes learnt is from the interweb, and practising certain techniques and applications and copying what other people have demonstrated. Couple that up with a what I believe to be an innate ability/talent, this is the result, I just think Shes naturally talented in this sort of thing.:)

Soldato
An airbrush question, if I may. A friend has given me an airbrush to do some painting on some of my models. Can anyone tell me what fittings I need to connect the airbrush line to my existing compressor line? I also assume that a moisture trap would be beneficial? I'm trying to keep costs to a minimal, simply because I don't have the money to buy a new compressor etc when the one I have should be perfectly fine (if a little noisy lol). I have a pressure reg on the compressor already. Below is a pic of the fittings. My compressor has the quick release type fittings - is there an adaptor that has the quick release pin on one end with the corresponding thread for the brush hose on the other and what is it called?

The airbrush is a Conopois made in 1986, so should hopefully do the trick ok.

Cheers :)

Soldato
Ok, the last set of the DeAgostini Millennium Falcon has landed on my doorstep. I was always going to wait until I had it all until the build.

I was initially thinking I would follow the Ian Lawrence build, but I'll just be realistic and stick with it as it comes.

I'm now stocking up on anything I may need, but haven't built anything in years... What do I need to stock up on for an out of the box build? Glues, paint, tools, material to cover misshaps...

Soldato
Ok, the last set of the DeAgostini Millennium Falcon has landed on my doorstep. I was always going to wait until I had it all until the build.

I was initially thinking I would follow the Ian Lawrence build, but I'll just be realistic and stick with it as it comes.

I'm now stocking up on anything I may need, but haven't built anything in years... What do I need to stock up on for an out of the box build? Glues, paint, tools, material to cover misshaps...

What stuff do you have already? If nothing, then you'll probably need:

Throw away the ****e screwdirver and buy a decent Philips size 0 one - Wera are good. Get some small side cutters and a pair of tweezers. Super glue - I just use Loctite stuff and squeeze some ontp some paper and use a cocktail stick to get it where I need it. I use a Swann Morton scalpel handle with some non-sterile blades for trimming - get what blades suit you. Paint brushes - can't say as I had some anyway. Again, get what suits you though.

I got a load of small, ziplock baggies to keep all the screws in. I also have a large plastic lidded box to keep the half built bits it.

The paints I bought from Wayland Games - they have the Tamiya AS20 Insignia White cans of paint for cheaper than anywhere else, plus they do the pots of acrylic paint there too:

XF-1 Flat Black
XF-2 Flat White
XF-3 Flat Yellow
XF-7 Flat Red
XF-18 Medium Blue
XF-53 Neutral Grey
XF-64 Red Brown

plus I also got some thinners - X-20A. OOB it's recommended to paint some recesses black, but I don't think they look right, so I'm going to be doing mine slightly differently, but I think you need Black, Dark Grey and Light Grey acrylic sprays.

I'm sure some others will be along too. GL with your build :)

Soldato
A request if possible - does anyone know someone or a company who would build and mount a number of aircraft on a plinth for me, preferably all painted silver/chrome, and all the same scale? The reason I am looking is my father turns 70 this year and was a pilot in the RAF for 32 years and I'd like to get him a present that is personal and includes all the aircraft he flew, these include:

De havilland Chipmonk
Jet provost
English Electric Canberra
Hawker Hunter
Hawker Siddeley Buccaneer S.2B
BAe Hawk Mk1
Panavia Tornado GR1

Cheers

Soldato
1/48 Revell A10-A Thunderbolt II

Background:

The Fairchild Republic A-10 Thunderbolt II is a single-seat, twin turbofan engine, straight wing jet aircraft developed by Fairchild-Republic for the United States Air Force (USAF). Commonly referred to by its nicknames Warthog or Hog, its official name comes from the Republic P-47 Thunderbolt, a World War II fighter that was effective at attacking ground targets. The A-10 was designed for close-in support of ground troops, close air support (CAS), and providing quick-action support for troops against helicopters and ground forces. It entered service in 1976 and is the only production-built aircraft that has served in the USAF that was designed solely for CAS. Its secondary mission is to provide forward air controller – airborne (FAC-A) support, by directing other aircraft in attacks on ground targets. Aircraft used primarily in this role are designated OA-10.

The A-10 was intended to improve on the performance of the A-1 Skyraider and its poor firepower. The A-10 was designed around the 30 mm GAU-8 Avenger rotary cannon. Its airframe was designed for durability, with measures such as 1,200 pounds (540 kg) of titanium armor to protect the cockpit and aircraft systems, enabling it to absorb a significant amount of damage and continue flying. Its short takeoff and landing capability permits operation from airstrips close to the front lines, and its simple design enables maintenance with minimal facilities. The A-10 served in Operation Desert Shield, and Operation Desert Storm, the American intervention against Iraq's invasion of Kuwait, where the A-10 distinguished itself. The A-10 also participated in other conflicts such as Operation Urgent Fury in Grenada, the Balkans, Afghanistan, Iraq, and against ISIL in the Middle East.

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fairchild_Republic_A-10_Thunderbolt_II

• Kit Manufacture: Revell.
  • Scale: 1/48.
  • Type: A10-A Thunderbolt II.
  • Extras used: OOB.
  • Paints and colours used: Primer was black Stynylrez. Paints used were Mr Hobby Aqueous Hobby Color H307, Mr Hobby Aqueous Hobby Color H308, Tamiya XF-69, XF-84 and XF-89. Alcald Aqua Gloss and Tamiys X-35 semi gloss.
  • Weathering: 502 abteilung starship filth oil paint.

XhTmBaD.jpg.png

CufJ9QK.jpg.png

8k95KfF.jpg.png

dJNTfvs.jpg.png

Lw4FVML.jpg.png

mpwMTCT.jpg.png

puu2mIp.jpg.png

Soldato
1/35 Eduard Pz. Kpfw. VI Ausf B Tiger II

Tiger II is the common name of a German heavy tank of the Second World War. The final official German designation was Panzerkampfwagen Tiger Ausf. B, often shortened to Tiger B. The ordnance inventory designation was Sd.Kfz. 182. It is also known under the informal name Königstiger (the German name for the Bengal tiger), often translated literally as Royal Tiger, or somewhat incorrectly as King Tiger by Allied soldiers, especially by American forces.

The Tiger II was the successor to the Tiger I, combining the latter's thick armour with the armour sloping used on the Panther medium tank. The tank weighed almost 70 tonnes, and was protected by 100 to 185 mm (3.9 to 7.3 in) of armour to the front. It was armed with the long barrelled 8.8 cm KwK 43 L/71 anti-tank cannon. The chassis was also the basis for the Jagdtiger turretless tank destroyer.

The Tiger II was issued to heavy tank battalions of the Army and the Waffen-SS. It was first used in combat with 503rd Heavy Panzer Battalion during the Allied Invasion of Normandy on 11 July 1944 on the Eastern Front, the first unit to be outfitted with Tiger IIs was the 501st Heavy Panzer Battalion, which by 1 September 1944 listed 25 Tiger IIs operational.

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiger_II

ISuLdbE.jpg.png

cUjXIeV.jpg.png

OQauJb9.jpg.png

EujCS8e.jpg.png

ZYRXaIF.jpg.png

vVSvNxk.jpg.png

7XvXmTF.jpg.png

cP2HRcv.jpg.png

1fTpGbq.jpg.png

SUrk59d.jpg.png

be2eok5.jpg.png