Pewdiepie racism

Soldato
This week in... "im offended"

Seriously, can we not, as grown ups get past a single week where someone does cry about something someone has said on the internet, he clearly, most obviously isn't anti semitic.

I'm more of an idubbbz fan myself.... but then he is really racist as sometimes he says the N word UMMMMMMMM!

TS7

TS7

Soldato
To be fair, i watched the video in question.

It was only about paying people on the $5 site to be offensive and see who they would do it. He seemed as surprised as you can be when the Indian guys followed through.

Its just shock humour. Disney can distance themselves from it but papers are labelling him as an anti-Semite, which is pretty OTT.

From the followup video and his reaction to criticism, it seems nothing more than an internet equivalent of a rude, immature, Schoolyard joke that ended up getting announced at morning assembly.

However it's not based on the one video. There's a total of 9 videos being cited since August which include anti-seem content. However 5 have been taken down since. Source

Soldato
However it's not based on the one video. There's a total of 9 videos being cited since August which include anti-seem content. However 5 have been taken down since.

It's clearly shock humour though. He isn't running a news channel or a platform to educating people. It is literately schoolyard entertainment.

Edit:

""I think it’s important to say something and I want to make one thing clear: I am in no way supporting any kind of hateful attitudes," he wrote in a Tumblr post.

"I make videos for my audience. I think of the content that I create as entertainment, and not a place for any serious political commentary. I know my audience understand that and that is why they come to my channel. Though this was not my intention, I understand that these jokes were ultimately offensive.

"As laughable as it is to believe that I might actually endorse these people, to anyone unsure on my standpoint regarding hate-based groups: No, I don’t support these people in any way."

Yeah its a stupid thing to do when your audience is so big and your lively hood depends on it but lets not get our panties twisted crying racism because of a youtube comedy videos.

TS7

TS7

Soldato
It's clearly shock humour though. He isn't running a news channel or a platform to educating people. It is literately schoolyard entertainment.

Yeah he can continue with that type of humour but you can't expect sponsors to back you with that kind of content. No decent company wants to be associated with that type of stuff. I mean I don't follow this chap so I'm not sure if it was a bad decision on say Disneys part to get involved with him in the first place or whether he's decided to turn to this type humour after the sponsorship deal. YouTube dropping there biggest subscriber / earner from there preferred list is very telling that he's gone too far. Regardless of him not running a news channel, his income still comes from adverts and it's no surprise big companies wouldn't want to associate with such content.

Soldato
I doubt game companies will distance them from him, he and a few others seem to have a golden touch when it comes to making game sales successful.

As for whether it was a bad decision on Disney's part? Well, they should have known who they are sponsoring, he says all kinds of crap for the laughs.

Youtube will continue to sponsor his videos, he just loses ad revenue from videos that are marked as offensive.

Soldato
I don't watch this guy at all but being big on YouTube isn't easy. There are loads of people out there who want to be big on YouTube but have failed. You need something special to succeed. My only personal take on this is that he is very popular with younger viewers who generally tend to spend more time watching YouTube videos than older viewers which is why he makes so much money. Being immature might well make you millions of pounds. If I were given the choice I'd probably act immature for that sort of money.

Soldato
I don't watch this guy at all but being big on YouTube isn't easy. There are loads of people out there who want to be big on YouTube but have failed. You need something special to succeed. My only personal take on this is that he is very popular with younger viewers who generally tend to spend more time watching YouTube videos than older viewers which is why he makes so much money. Being immature might well make you millions of pounds. If I were given the choice I'd probably act immature for that sort of money.

If that's the case, you have a moral responsibility to these young viewers as a role model.

I've seen some of this guy's stuff, from way back and more recent. I don't get it personally and frankly just comes across as another loathsome YouTube narcissist.

TS7

TS7

Soldato
I mean we can debate about this for as long as we like but 5 out of the 9 videos have already been deleted. I reckon the other 4 will soon go. This will all tide over and things will go back to normal within a month. He's a cash cow and YT has made its 'statement' and publically reprimanded him. He's made his statements clarifying himself. He's got a lot of publicity out of it. It will all resume as normal minus a few sponsors.

Soldato
If that's the case, you have a moral responsibility to these young viewers as a role model.

I've seen some of this guy's stuff, from way back and more recent. I don't get it personally and frankly just comes across as another loathsome YouTube narcissist.

Considering most celebrities are far worse than him when it comes to being a role model I wouldn't worry too much. The whole sex, drugs and rock 'n' roll scene has been influencing kids since the 1960s. Most of them turn out OK.

Soldato

He is no more a role model than sports stars that go out and get drugged up or caught with prostitutes. The videos that people claim are anti-Semitic are blatantly jokey with with him out right saying he is joking or that it is messed up people are willing to go to these lengths for $5.

Afaic his only obligation to not make these faux pas is to his wallet. Moral responsibility doesn't come into it.

Soldato
He should have knew better and that it might blow up in his face but he has always been on the line with his comedy. Disney knew what he was like when they signed him but he was getting them $ so didn't really care until this became a 'scandal'.

Soldato

He has absolutely zero moral responsibility, his only concern should be making content that he thinks people will want to watch. Parents have the responsibility to ensure their children are viewing suitable content, it's not a content creators job to censor them self

Soldato
He has absolutely zero moral responsibility, his only concern should be making content that he thinks people will want to watch. Parents have the responsibility to ensure their children are viewing suitable content, it's not a content creators job to censor them self

There is no way to filter youtube other than to block it completely. Its also installed by default on many cable TV boxes with no way of removing it, or blocking it. Its installed by default on my mobiles and tablets. There is no way of blocking that unless you install third party apps themselves which can also be disabled by the kids. Even if you do all that, remove all the devices from your household, they can simply go to a friends house, or their mobile and see youtube.

So your argument really is we should have no watershed, age rating or anything. Just a complete free for all. Though in reality that's what we have now. Its already here.

Soldato

This exactly. Most of the stuff I've seen seems mainly filler from this guy. Its like reality TV or discovery. Its just mind numbing mediocrity for 99.9% of it.

People need to wake up out of the stupor of watching drivel masquerading as entertainment.

Soldato
Ive been on plenty of youtube pages which required you to sign in due to 18+ material including horror trailers. Surely it is up to youtube to decide his content rating, not that i think anyone over 13 would be encouraged to act on his videos beyond purchasing a game.

But i do fully agree that censorship is responsibility of the parents and although it is easy to bypass, it isnt already here. If the verification is easy to bypass, it is youtubes responsibility. I dont see how it can be content creators responsibility to cater to audiences that are deemed unfit by others to view the content.

Back
Top Bottom