Pewdiepie racism

Caporegime
I do find it surprising how people who use the internet don't know who he is to be honest. Even my parents knew roughly what he does when the news story concerning him came on. They are the least techy people I know. :D

Caporegime
I do find it surprising how people who use the internet don't know who he is to be honest. Even my parents knew roughly what he does when the news story concerning him came on. They are the least techy people I know. :D

I know who he is and the only reason so many people talk about him is because it's forced down our throats...... Took the *** being on BBC News today

Soldato
...But i do fully agree that censorship is responsibility of the parents and although it is easy to bypass, ...

Parents have almost zero no control over the access of this content, especially you tube. Pushing it to parents, is just abdication of responsibility of both the creator and the publisher, and the govt for allowing it. Its the creator if they put their content on a distribution system with weak or non existent controls. Its the same as TV, or Radio broadcasters putting on inappropriate material on before the watershed, or in day time.

Where these videos from Pwepie had access controls? Were they copied to other youtube videos as usually happens, without controls.

Soldato

In my opinion, YouTube deliberately push certain content and creators over others. They seem to manipulate what is easy to find and and what isn't. If these videos because popular its because youtube want to make it so. Pwepie himself complained before that some of his video's were not getting the usual hits, due to how YouTube change things.

The trending and popular feeds tend to be a very narrow band of video's. If you switch to another video network, you see a completely different set of popular videos. They are all being manipulated.

Caporegime
I can't stand this guy! Baffles me he has tens of millions of subscribers, to watch him play video games and make silly noises? How is getting two people to hold a sign saying "death to the Jews" ever going to end well?

Soldato
I can't stand this guy! Baffles me he has tens of millions of subscribers, to watch him play video games and make silly noises? How is getting two people to hold a sign saying "death to the Jews" ever going to end well?

Ignoring the racist, aspect of it.

Its just the most pathetic banal attempt at humour, or being controversial. It would be pathetic if a kid had done it. From an adult....

Soldato
So many haters ITT, I don't exactly like his content, but he seems like a nice guy and it's internet trolling. This stuff has been happening since the dawn of the interwebs. He is not anti-semitic or racist.

People are morons if they can't see it. He made a video actually poking fun at how people only read titles of articles and don't look into it.... seems prophetic considering how this has now happened to him.

Soldato
So many haters ITT, I don't exactly like his content, but he seems like a nice guy and it's internet trolling. This stuff has been happening since the dawn of the interwebs. He is not anti-semitic or racist.

People are morons if they can't see it. He made a video actually poking fun at how people only read titles of articles and don't look into it.... seems prophetic considering how this has now happened to him.

Exactly. Most people have missed the context of why he did it, because all they've done is read the sensationalist headline. I really expect he could not care less about Disney dropping him. If you've followed him for a while you'll see he doesnt make videos for money, it's just been a happy side effect and now that he has enough money to last him several lifetimes I'm sure he'll carry on as before.

Soldato
So are you also a "hater" if you don't like his content either.

ITT had to look that one up.

It not that people don't get it. They are wondering at the implications, for someone with that large a reach.

Soldato

It not that people don't get it. They are wondering at the implications, for someone with that large a reach.

I know i'm kidding with that statement more than anything.

I'm also going to add I do think given the size of his channel and the age of the audience that watches him posting stuff even as a joke like "death to all jews" is probably a step too far. It's ok for adult shows I guess when done in a comical context. But mostly kids watch him and that is probably one of the reasons this has ruffled more feathers.

Soldato
1. I cant believe being anti-semitic is still a thing
2. This dude isnt that.
3. He's an alright kinda guy, could live anywhere in the world and chose Brighton, UK. His responses to 'drama' are always well thought through - Whilst his videos may not appeal to all, he does appear to have his head screwed on. Im sure he knew it would be controversial, I just dont think he cares much for people being offended.
4. Youtube would never drop him, he is THE personality on their platform and no one else comes remotely close to pure regular viewership numbers.

Soldato
His target audience is teenagers, of course adults are going to find his stuff immature. He's in a such a strong position that disney dropping him won't make much difference. He will still get the ridiculous amount of views

Soldato
How come it is OK for South Park and Family Guy to have loads of racist jokes? Is it just the way it is done?

Surely that's obvious? Audience.
South Park and Family Guy are on after watershed, animated and obviously satirical adult entertainment.
Pewdie guy's audience is kids and young teenagers and is reality.

Soldato
I know i'm kidding with that statement more than anything.

I'm also going to add I do think given the size of his channel and the age of the audience that watches him posting stuff even as a joke like "death to all jews" is probably a step too far. It's ok for adult shows I guess when done in a comical context. But mostly kids watch him and that is probably one of the reasons this has ruffled more feathers.

Well that's the point people are making.

Caporegime

If someone is so utterly mentally deficient as to read "Death to all Jews", where he pretty explicitly shows a faux-shock reaction, and take that as some sort of cue to go do it... then thats not Felix's problem, thats societies for making such garbage offspring.

Man of Honour

Why would I know who he is other than what I've read in the press? I don't spend a lot of time on youtube, and having had a quick look at his stuff none of his stuff is of any interest to me, it is mainly inane drivel.

Soldato
If someone is so utterly mentally deficient as to read "Death to all Jews", where he pretty explicitly shows a faux-shock reaction, and take that as some sort of cue to go do it... then thats not Felix's problem, thats societies for making such garbage offspring.

This really. It isnt like he is promoting anti-semitism or anything

If we ban him for having some guys hold a sign in a video, we might as well ban anything gun or war related in case people take it as a cue to go out starting wars.

Does anyone here seriously think that video provoked anything other than mumsnetter panty bunching?

Caporegime
Why would I know who he is other than what I've read in the press? I don't spend a lot of time on youtube, and having had a quick look at his stuff none of his stuff is of any interest to me, it is mainly inane drivel.

I just assumed it was common knowledge I guess. Depends what circles you move in online. But he's the most subbed Youtuber in the world. I see him mentioned on forums fairly often, as well as being name dropped by other Youtubers, he has been in the news a fair bit recently particularly as small stories on little news sites, etc. :)

Man of Honour
Clearly I read different news articles :p

Clearly different interests too ;) I don't feel I've missed out on. I may have seen his name but glossed over it without paying any attention to it.

Just because you have millions of subscribers on youtube doesn't really mean anything to me - then again I know nothing of celebrities in or out of youtube - it's a bit of a yawnfest for me :p

Back
Top Bottom