• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** AMD "Zen" thread (inc AM4/APU discussion) ***

Associate
iv been looking at motherboards the difference between B350 and X370 seem to be minimal, but the price is about half...
almost all mobos seem to have onboard graphics chipset, so who cares about igpu :p

G J

G J

Associate
Awww I was intrested in the 6 core models but now have to wait abit longer. :(

Hopefully some of the reviews will disable some cores so we have a prety good idea how the R3 and R5 perform.

Associate
See i am getting really confused with all this "not many games use multi core" talk. I went from 4 core to 6 core and have always noticed the games i play using all the cores. Unless i am missing something here.

Frostbite engine loves more cores so that gives current games i play an advantage of more cores.

BF4, Battlefront, BF1

Other games i play that have taken advantage of more cores.

Doom (Vulkcan), GTAV, The Division (DX12), Rise of the Tomb Raider (DX12), Hitman (Dx12)

Thats very true but how many of them games can take advantage of and see meaningful games from more then 8 threads? I'm still of the opinion that a 7700k outperform an 1800x even in games which do like more cores and the i7 will also absolutely smash the 1800x in games like arma where clock speed is king.

Soldato
Just catching up with this, look very promising for AMD

But why have they called it Ryzen 7? Seems like a no brainer to tie it in with the number of cores, no? Ryzen 8, Ryzen 6, Ryzen 4...

Soldato
Wow. Reading the news this morning, it looks like AMD have hit the ball out of the park. Jim Keller strikes again.

Yeah I agree with Dave re: RAM and Quad-core CPUs - 16GB 3000mhz DDR4 should be a baseline for new RAM purchases. In my experience with newer *Intel* quad-core hardware is that you should aim for for at least 8GB 3600MHZ with tight timings anything over that is a bonus.

Lets see what Zen and the top MB from ASROCK allows us to do with 8C and Memory. The top ASROCK board will no doubt be the strongest board with regards to RAM compatibility and clocks.

Associate
Thats very true but how many of them games can take advantage of and see meaningful games from more then 8 threads? I'm still of the opinion that a 7700k outperform an 1800x even in games which do like more cores and the i7 will also absolutely smash the 1800x in games like arma where clock speed is king.

Well as i play at 4k and sometimes record at 1080p 60fps or stream at the same i am sure i would be better off with the 1800x.

Also with DX12 and Vulkan starting to be more prominent in games moarrrr cores the better :)

Oh and i agree games like arma core speed is key. My point is everyone going on about core speed over core amount is telling me there are hardly any games out that take advantage of multi core cpu's.

I have listed games where i get great scaling when it comes to more cores....

Permabanned
Wow. Reading the news this morning, it looks like AMD have hit the ball out of the park. Jim Keller strikes again.

Yeah I agree with Dave re: RAM and Quad-core CPUs - 16GB 3000mhz DDR4 should be a baseline for new RAM purchases. In my experience with newer *Intel* quad-core hardware is that you should aim for for at least 8GB 3600MHZ with tight timings anything over that is a bonus.

Lets see what Zen and the top MB from ASROCK allows us to do with 8C and Memory. The top ASROCK board will no doubt be the strongest board with regards to RAM compatibility and clocks.

Are ASROCK mother boards the right way to go? I have been thinking about the

ASRock AMD AM4 Ryzen X370 Gaming K4 ATX Motherboard

Back
Top Bottom