• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** AMD "Zen" thread (inc AM4/APU discussion) ***

Soldato
Why does no one else find these disappointing? All the hype and they are only kind of the same as Intels offerings. Some are cheaper, some are not, but all round the performance is nothing new. Intel must be quietly chuckling under their breaths. When are we truly going to get something revolutionary?

Probably because they've gone from the previously being 40+% IPC behind Intel, to riding thier coat tails, all the while doing it whilst offering a seemingly better hyperthreading equivalent and more cores, at a cheaper price point to the comparable intel processor; they are challenging Intel right across the product spectrum, you're going to be seeing AMD 6 core/12 thread processors at the same price as current Intel 4c8 thread, and 4c/4 or 8t AMD at Intel I3 price points, generally offering more for the money than Intel. All the whilst all being able to be overclocked, even if gains are minimal, something Intel doesn't even allow at all on most of thier processors.

Then you must bare in mind this is thier first gen Ryzen processor, they will improve it over the years, and again, they're meant to be doing it all on the AM4 platform, so you should theoretically be able to upgrade your chip down the line, without having to change the entire platform. Big win.

This is why people are excited, this will force Intel to react and should bring more performance to lower price points. Quad Core will finally be the ENTRY target, with dual core retired. About time.

This should also make AMD far more competitive in the laptop space, and means that upcoming APU or even just CPU+dedicated GPU laptops will become far more competitive. Who's to say that AMD won't continue this pricing war on every platform they deploy on; desktop, laptop and server. This has the potential to change the whole dynamic over the next few years.

Associate
In theory yes but you have to take into account IPC and clock speed as well. From what we know, the ryzen CPUs have an IPC similar to haswell and they don't clock much higher then 4Ghz (mabe 4.2 max?) No way is a 6c/12t ryzen chip going to top a kaby lake i7 running at 4.8ghz. The higher clock speed/IPC of the i7 should also beat out the 8c/16t ryzen chips as well. Keep in mind this is purley for gaming. If i was a content creator i'd be snapping up a ryzen CPU in a heartbeat (and as i'm currently on a 4770k i might go ryzen anyway).

but if you were in the market for a purely gaming machine is it worth it?

Soldato
Why does no one else find these disappointing? All the hype and they are only kind of the same as Intels offerings. Some are cheaper, some are not, but all round the performance is nothing new. Intel must be quietly chuckling under their breaths. When are we truly going to get something revolutionary?
Where are you seeing an eight core Intel chip for less than any of these?

Associate
Is it odd that my biggest gripe with Motherboards is not the features but the look? most of them are geared towards red and black, i want a blue and white and black theme, which basically means Asrock is pretty much the only option for me lol.

I know right! I have a white NZXT S340 with blue sleeved cables, I was thinking about the Taichi as it mainly fits the bill looks-wise. (Would have loved a simple white board)

But I know that it's A) Overkill for me and B) Out of my price range. A B350 Taichi looking board would have been nice. I wouldn't want to go with the pro line especially as it has the word plastered on the board in a bigly way

Associate

All the hype about Ryzen is around multicore performance, which is stellar. (Most) games are something completely different. That being said, I think some people have too high expectations, but we can't judge its gaming performance until the damn NDA drops.

Soldato
Better vrm and higher memory speed

Less chuckling and more crying as their consumer milking has now come to end thinks to Ryzen.

Soldato
Nowhere have I mentioned price at all though. I'm talking on pure performance which is also why i haven't mentioned the i5s. The 7700k will still be the performance king in games is all i'm saying.

Because its all irrelevant - most people are GPU limited. Most reviews including that DF one use an overclocked £1000+ Titan X at 1080P or 720P.

Its no point getting obsessed over MORE MHZ in Super PI,etc if a 4C/8T Ryzen CPU at £200ish is going to be 80% to 85% of that Core i7 7700K for much less money. Even the leaked 6C/12T pricing is more of the same.

That money is better spent on a faster card. £100 saved on a CPU will mean instead of a GTX1060 you can get a GTX1070. I have done some casual tests myself with my IB Core i7 and a mates Haswell Core i7,using a GTX960 and a R9 390,and guess what?? Slower CPU and faster GPU was still faster even in on-line games.

People are on purpose ignoring pricing and on purpose ignoring the fact that plenty of the Intel SKUs like the Core i5 7400,7500 and 7600 and the Core i7 7700 are locked and have lower clockspeeds which is not really helping at all.

I know more people who don't overclock than those who do and many of them are gamers.

No massaging makes the fact that a £350 Core i7 7700K is massively overpriced.

Intel for YEARS was selling 4C/8T SB,IB and Haswell Xeon CPUs for as low as £175. I did so many builds with them. With SKL they artificially locked people out of using them in normal motherboards.

Intel could EASILY sell a locked 4C/8T Core i7 at closer to £200.

People should not be making excuses for the Intel rubbish pricing.

The whole enthusiast segment in PCs started around improving price/performance via modding NOT justifying higher prices for overpriced parts.

Permabanned
Well my second MB option if not asus would be that 150 quid Asrock..

In my case I will be happy if i can hit 4.4 overclock on my custom loop with 1700x thats what my 5820k runs at since anything more is not stable no matter what volts or motherboards ect :/ i can run benches at 4.5 4.6 but when rendering or gaming it will crash :/

Associate
So if the 6C Ryzen top bin is 3.6GHZ to 4.0GHZ,I wonder if XFR will boost clockspeeds higher than with the 8C parts??
less cores more Hz, the 4 cores will probably have much higher clock
The X370 Killer SLI looks pretty dam good for £145 ...... if only the 1600X was out :/
there is only 70$ difference between 1700 and 1600X, with gibbo's deal it's 60$, i would just pick a 1700 instead.
Is it odd that my biggest gripe with Motherboards is not the features but the look? most of them are geared towards red and black, i want a blue and white and black theme, which basically means Asrock is pretty much the only option for me lol.
you have MSI Titanium

Soldato
but if you were in the market for a purely gaming machine is it worth it?
Yes, better multitasking if you want to do anything in the background minimised quickly, smoother system transitions, less framerate hits due to any background processes, voip/any streaming you may do, once again background resources available and more cores available to everything.

Honestly... I never regretted going I7-2700K over 2500K as over the years, the threads have helped keep my current system responsive and more fluid than it would have been, and helped keep minimum framerate up (OK a substantial OC has also helped!). This is more of the same, but this time around, people will have the choice of say a lower tier, moderately clocked Intel chip, versus a comparable AMD chip generally offering more cores and performance overall. AMD will be looking to get the balance of cores/threads/clockspeed correct to stay competive across the board, and I suspect except for the most highly clocked comparatives, they will be pretty competitive in single core performance across the range, whilst trouncing them when it comes to multicore...and therefore system fluidity...across the board at a given price point.

Intel i3 price point - 2c, maybe hyperthreaded, will be against genuine AMD quadcore with SMT bleeding in higher up the product stack
Intel i5 price point - 4c, maybe hyperthreaded, will be against genuine 4c8t and even 6c parts
Intel i7 price point - 4c8t, will be against AMD 6c/12th and 8c16th parts.

Providing clocks and pricing is competitive, thats a big deal, even for a pure gamer, as it means the system will last longer before it needs changed.

I can guarantee you if I'd bought a 2500k I'd have wanted to have changed it by now as my workload and games are demanding more.

Just to copy for reference one of the older tables:
ryzen-prices.jpg

Convert those prices to pounds and then consider based on what we've seen yesterday, the clocks may actually be higher than originally specced on the R5/R3 parts. 1600X is going to be 3.6GHz/4GHz boost for example, AMD may be releasing later so they can spend more time tweaking clocks before they release.

Compare the current Intel price stack. Those R3 will absolutely annihilate Intel's i3s for the money etc given reasonable single core IPC.

Last edited:
Soldato
I hate it when people ignore things on purpose on purpose lol.

You can expect some price cuts throughout the course of the next 3 to 4 months, but those expecting to pick up Intel chips cheap should probably simply look to AMD if it tailors ones workload

Associate
just had confirmation from be quiet! that the am4 mounting kit will not increase the overall height of the dark rock pro3 if thats of any use to anyone considering that particular air cooler.
I Have a dark rock advance c1 totally gutted Bequiet are "not" making a mounting kit for it for AM4
but it still sells for over £50

Ordered a dark rock pro was a little worried about the hight

Thanks for the post :)

Associate
Yes, better multitasking if you want to do anything in the background minimised quickly, smoother system transitions, less framerate hits due to any background processes, voip/any streaming you may do, once again background resources available and more cores available to everything.

Honestly... I never regretted going I7-2700K over 2500K as over the years, the threads have helped keep my current system responsive and more fluid than it would have been, and helped keep minimum framerate up (OK a substantial OC has also helped!). This is more of the same, but this time around, people will have the choice of say a lower tier, moderately clocked Intel chip, versus a comparable AMD chip generally offering more cores and performance overall. AMD will be looking to get the balance of cores/threads/clockspeed correct to stay competive across the board, and I suspect except for the most highly clocked comparatives, they will be pretty competitive in single core performance across the range, whilst trouncing them when it comes to multicore...and therefore system fluidity...across the board at a given price point.

Intel i3 price point - 2c, maybe hyperthreaded, will be against genuine AMD quadcore with SMT bleeding in higher up the product stack
Intel i5 price point - 4c, maybe hyperthreaded, will be against genuine 4c8t and even 6c parts
Intel i7 price point - 4c8t, will be against AMD 6c/12th and 8c16th parts.

Providing clocks and pricing is competitive, thats a big deal, even for a pure gamer, as it means the system will last longer before it needs changed.

I can guarantee you if I'd bought a 2500k I'd have wanted to have changed it by now as my workload and games are demanding more.

I think my 2500k @4.2Ghz is causing issues with Battlefield 1 .....it runs at 100 utilisation constantly with it and my 1070.

Associate
Looks like I'm going to be waiting a little while for the 1600X, but it's a blessing in disguise since it means I will be able to see some proper benchmarks before I invest. The idea behind being able to disable some cores and increasing clock speed is also extremely interesting if it happens.

HeX

HeX

Soldato
I've got the Giga B350 mATX Gaming 3 on order, as it looked the best of the two mATX that were up yesterday. However there's now the:

MSI B350M Mortar

and

Asrock AB350M Pro4

Both look pretty tasty... not sure what to go with now!

Well, I've asked for the order to be changed to the MSI B350 Mortar. It looks like a better put together board, better I/O on the back, newer onboard audio, bigger power phase cooler, better layout. Yes it doesn't have 2 x M2, but TBH, it'll be a while before I even use the 1 it has, don't plan on changing my current SSD's any time soon.

Will stick with that unless the motherboard reviews come in with some major flaws, or one board being vastly superior.

Soldato
I think my 2500k @4.2Ghz is causing issues with Battlefield 1 .....it runs at 100 utilisation constantly with it and my 1070.

B1 is admittedly thread/core heavy, but this is exactly what I'm talking about (and where I'm happy I went for a 2700k years ago), and is where AMDs new processors (bearing in mind IPC is better than Sandy...) will kick up a stink against Intel's current price structure. They smash it, even for gamers, you will get a better overall system for the same money.

Back
Top Bottom