The Fashion Thread... personal tastes, musings, and recommendations

Caporegime
OP
Nitefly;30416846 said:
It's probably fair to say I have expensive tastes (ultra prosumer) but I never see the appeal of buying really expensive shoes, especially for work. Most of the time you are sat down and providing they are clean and get the occasional polish nobody cares anyway. Depends on the job I suppose... although I dread the thought of some sort of job where shoes are prestigious :eek:

I never pay more than 100 quid for formal shoes. There are a lot of great looking and comfortable formal shoes with leather (often hand made) soles for that money so I've never seen the point in spending more.

Associate
b0redj0rd;30488218 said:
I'm thinking of getting some quality shoes for my wedding, any recommendations? Oxford's, Brogues or Monks?

£150-200ish?

I'd have a look on Herring Shoes website - they stock several of the good brands, and their own brand shoes are very good if you avoid the cheapest range. They're also a good company to deal with.

http://www.herringshoes.co.uk/

Associate
Thanks guys I'll have a look :)

I picked this up a couple of weeks ago in the Hackett London shop in Chester. You can't really see the colour in the photo, it is more a dark brown / navy in person, I like it.

AW16_HM401363_5CX_02.JPG

Soldato
wozzizname;30489436 said:
I'd have a look on Herring Shoes website - they stock several of the good brands, and their own brand shoes are very good if you avoid the cheapest range. They're also a good company to deal with.

http://www.herringshoes.co.uk/

Absolutely concur, their service is amazing and their shoes are made by the big brands (Loake, Barker, Cheaney etc)

Look on the shoe finder, pop your size in and click sale.

http://www.herringshoes.co.uk/produ...939&stype=1&selectedsizeid=15&selectedfitid=2

These for example, Cheaney monks for under £200 if you're either a 12 or a 6.5 :D Easy way of seeing who makes them if they dont say is to just google the last, the 11028 is a Cheaney last.

Caporegime
mrk;30377799 said:
I'm not a fan of those SuperDry/northFace jackets due to the massive logos and branding they almost always have in contrast colours.

It's a shame because the material quality and comfort is excellent on them and I always want to get one every time I'm in the local factory outlets here, but always sigh when I look at the big logos :/

Probably a good thing, I have too many jackets as it is :p

Same, if I could find the same hoodie as superdry without the logo I'd be all over it even if it was the same price. But I can't find anything close, that's as comfy. But I refuse to have that logo slapped everywhere.

Caporegime
What do people wear on their feet if they want casual / every day, but don't want to wear trainers / sneakers like they're about to go and play five a side with their uni mates?

Looking for some more 'grown up' footwear (I do and will still wear trainers) and thinking Timberland boots or something...they're really expensive!

Man of Honour
I either wear black leather trainers that look close to shoes or boots along the lines of dune simon stitch series. Neither are particularly cheap options though.

Chukka style boots seem a popular option but not really for me.

Man of Honour
Brown brogues, chukkas or chelsea boots. You can also get slightly dressier trainers in leather or suede. I tend to live in suede chukkas a lot, although they lean towards the smarter type rather than more casual desert boots.

Caporegime
Participant;30496713 said:
What do people wear on their feet if they want casual / every day, but don't want to wear trainers / sneakers like they're about to go and play five a side with their uni mates?

Looking for some more 'grown up' footwear (I do and will still wear trainers) and thinking Timberland boots or something...they're really expensive!

Apply Timbies to toes > great success.

someone said:

I don't understand the reference and I won't respond to it.

How come this thread isn't one star yet?

Associate
Shoe shop closing down in Wales; left with 6 pairs for ... £250. 2 pairs of Loake's, 3 pairs of Tricker's and one pair of Gresson's. All leather soles. Some are definitely more for the summer, but all are really excellent quality. And *I* was reasonable, my wife bough *10* pairs :)

yxTPSOU.jpg

0ep2M9u.jpg

Caporegime
Paired with some ('smart casual') combat trousers?

maybe if it was the 90s :D

I don't believe the other poster asked for 'smart casual' but casual every day wear.... I'd take that to mean to wear with jeans

Pair of Merrells, a down jacket or mountaineering fleece and on dress down Fridays you too can join the ranks of middle aged office workers who climb occasionally and imagine themselves to be Bear Grylls :)

Man of Honour
I am trying to find a nice wooden box to store ties in, ideally something that can fit inside a draw but not a crappy canvas or cardboard affair. Welcome any suggestions people may have. I don't have many ties these days, but trying to find a good one the other morning annoyed me so want to find a better storage option.

Back
Top Bottom