• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Polaris RX 480 Owners Thread.

Soldato
Gibbo has said that when it comes to XFX OCUK will deal with warranty issues going forwards, this was why OCUK started stocking XFX cards again.

Here is the thread
that is good. i hadnt seen that. I guess and can put the gpus blocks on mine and still have warranty. I was going to do it at some point anyway, but this is very good :)

Can anyone with the Asus Dual OC tell me if they get anywhere near the 1.3 ghz core clock speed? Out of the box, in fire-strike for example (but also in games), i'm consistently getting less than 1.1 ghz.

I need to up the power target massively just to get the advertised core clock. Is this normal?

It's seems like the XFX GTR XXX (which i know is much more expensive) can peg a reliable 1266 mhz with no dips at stock.

Would be interested to know how other peoples cards behave at stock.
depends on the power leakage of the gpu core, bios and power limits on the card rather than the manufacturer. I know my xfx gtr be can both hold 1338mhz at stock with ease. have you tried looking in gpuz to see how much power the card is using. The sensors for the rx480 seem to be pretty good.

Associate
Can anyone with the Asus Dual OC tell me if they get anywhere near the 1.3 ghz core clock speed? Out of the box, in fire-strike for example (but also in games), i'm consistently getting less than 1.1 ghz.

I need to up the power target massively just to get the advertised core clock. Is this normal?

It's seems like the XFX GTR XXX (which i know is much more expensive) can peg a reliable 1266 mhz with no dips at stock.

Would be interested to know how other peoples cards behave at stock.

Try using wattman to lower the core voltage by say 50mv at stage 6 and 7, I did this yesterday and its done wonders for my card, it now hits 1305 boost all the time and temps stay around 70 degrees. also increase the target temp to say 74 degrees

Associate
Does anyone know how loud the fans are on the MSI RX 480 Armor? Or what temps to expect with that cooler? I'm deciding if I should pull the trigger on this one as £199 seems like a decent price for an 8GB RX 480. I won't bother with the Asus Dual version as it seems many people are not happy with the noise... Which means it'll be too loud for my liking!

Associate
This time tomorrow I join the club, couldn't help myself with the ASUS Dual OC deal...

Not trying to kiss ass or anything. But I've been posting the details on every forum I'm a member of.
It's an Asus Rx480 for €170 including DOOM with free delivery, compared to Ireland's only online supplier charging €285 for the same card, with no free game and you need to pay €5 extra to go and collect it in their warehouse.
Oh... and it's out of stock :D

No brainer.

Associate
Not trying to kiss ass or anything. But I've been posting the details on every forum I'm a member of.
It's an Asus Rx480 for €170 including DOOM with free delivery, compared to Ireland's only online supplier charging €285 for the same card, with no free game and you need to pay €5 extra to go and collect it in their warehouse.
Oh... and it's out of stock :D

No brainer.

You....you have to pay to pick it up!?
But, you're saving them hassle of packaging & posting it! :eek:

Soldato
Try using wattman to lower the core voltage by say 50mv at stage 6 and 7, I did this yesterday and its done wonders for my card, it now hits 1305 boost all the time and temps stay around 70 degrees. also increase the target temp to say 74 degrees

Lowering 50mv to 1100mv and increasing the temp target to 74 has helped noise significantly, but I can only get up to about 1266mhz on the core like that.

My card seems to need the full 1150mv to get the advertised 1305mhz, along with a huge power target increase otherwise it simply doesn't get there at all, which makes an outrageous amount of noise.

A bit disappointing as 1305mhz is advertised as the core clockspeed, not the boost clockspeed, yet it's essentially not achievable at stock. Given the price though it's still a good buy as long as you're willing to accept you might need to tweak it to be happy.

Associate
Very tempted by the 4GB offer as an upgrade to my current 660ti but then I start to wonder whether I will regret not getting the 8gb, but that is an extra £40 :( Difficult to decide.

Way I think of it, is that 4gb is probably fine now, but in 6 months?
If you have 8gb now, it's somewhat future proofing anything you buy later on.

Soldato
Very tempted by the 4GB offer as an upgrade to my current 660ti but then I start to wonder whether I will regret not getting the 8gb, but that is an extra £40 :( Difficult to decide.

And it depends on what resolution you play at. If you play at 720p then go for 4GB. But it's more than that, games will use higher quality textures.

Associate
The problem is the price creeping upwards. I was thinking of trying to pick up a 970 in the MM which would have been 4GB and they seem to go for about £120-130, then I see this offer and think it is worth paying the extra for a new card and then start looking at another £40 to go to 8GB.

The extra memory seems to give a bit of future proofing but I don't know how the gpu will hold up going forward. When games start needing more than 4GB will the 480 have the power to match?

btw I am not really up on the technicalities of hardware anymore so feel a bit in the dark. My current monitor is 1920x1080

Soldato
My Sapphire Nitro+ OC card is running a 70mV undervolt with a 1360MHz core clock.

Depends what games you play but Doom, GTA V and Dirt Rally at 1080P all use at least 3.5GB VRAM. These are relatively old titles so memory usage is only going to increase.

OcUK Staff
Those tempted by the 8GB I will put that on 24hr special tomorrow at £179.99 delivered with Doom, maybe thats good enough to sway some of you and before any cheeky ones say do it for less, not possible £179.99 is down to the bone!

Back
Top Bottom