******** The Official amateur radio thread ********

Soldato
I best not look at when I posted the first one! I'd say it's been on the go for about 5yrs. I really need to go through each capacitor and make sure I didn't make any mistakes because I didn't have a decent multimeter at the time and I'm it 100% confident everything is correct.

Commissario
OP
From left to right you can see the 20m, 40m and 15m verticals all ready for our special event station next weekend. With a couple of stations using 590SGs and 400W, we're going to be a big signal!

ross-20160730-170033.jpg

Commissario
OP
I struggle with handhelds.

When I don't own a handbag, I crave one. I think "I'll get a handbag, I'll use it for the local repeater" etc.

So I buy one. I use it for a couple of weeks then it sits in a cupboard, losing value. A couple of years later, I'll dig it out and sell it for a massive loss.

Then two or three years later, I think "I'll get a handbag, I'll use it for the local repeater" etc. So I buy another one, use it for a couple of weeks then bung it in a cupboard.

Are you seeing a pattern here? :)

The good thing is that with the advent of cheap £25 dual band handbags, I've now got two of them. Neither get used much but they're practically worthless so I'll never sell them and then when I fancy a handheld for using the local repeater, etc. I've already got two. If I can find them!

Soldato
as a sound engineer in a previous life, I have longed for something that tickles that side of me, When I was an engineer I specialized in frequency modulation on the old channel 69 freq's

I recently read a few forums, and it was the common consensus to get a hand held and learn about it, how to use it, and join a club.

I have recently got a Baofeng UV-5RE, and have inquired about clubs in my area, I intend on getting my foundation Licence, and understand not to try and transmit until I have it, I kind of want to get into it as a kind of prepper mentality, in case all comms go down (as they have done during major events)

but also want to get involved for fun.

any tips for a newbie starting out? maybe recommend a half decent/cheapish base set up I can get started up with?

anyways, I am glad there is a thread on this and hope to be a regular

Soldato
I'm a HF man so from me it would be to have a listen on http://hackgreensdr.org:8901. It'll help prep for the foundation practical exam.

useful sites
http://rsgb.org
http://www.g0mwt.org.uk/training/index.htm. A good source for training slides. I will say the foundation is mega easy.

I'd try to gain an idea of what part of the hobby you like before purchasing a radio. The hobby is pretty limitless in terms of different areas for you to get stuck in to. If you get involved with a good club they'll help you out.

anyways, I am glad there is a thread on this and hope to be a regular

Permabanned
Having recently laid 500 meters of 2.5mm copper wire under the lawn to improve my ground I have been able to get into Russia, Malta, Finland, Sweden, Iceland and Italy on 136kHz low frequency using all home built gear. I have also managed today to build, tune and install a matching transformer alongside the huge loading coil outside, and finally I am not killing the broadband, or setting off the workshop alarm when I transmit :) I enjoy building stuff as much as using it. Now to get the aerial higher and try for the States. I'd be very pleased to get across the big pond on 136kHz :) Glad to see there is interest here in ham radio. Good luck to those who are thinking of taking the exam. 2E0ILY.

Man of Honour
Bump!

Just last week passed by Intermediate exam, getting there slowly - just waiting for Ofcom to process the new license, and then I can turn up the power dial on my FT450D. This said, I have worked so many countries and people on 10W, I am curious to see how much an extra 40W helps!

Commissario
OP
Bump!

Just last week passed by Intermediate exam, getting there slowly - just waiting for Ofcom to process the new license, and then I can turn up the power dial on my FT450D. This said, I have worked so many countries and people on 10W, I am curious to see how much an extra 40W helps!
Congratulations :)

Realistically you won't see much difference. Going from 10W to 50W is an increase of just over 6dB so your signal will be fractionally over one S-point stronger.

However, if you're trying to break a pileup and the other station starts working by numbers *shudder* you'll have double the number of chances to get through 'cos you'll have both a 2 and a 0 in your callsign ;)

Commissario
OP
Picked up a frequency counter from eBay last week and it's working well. It's a Yaege FC-1 and it's good to know my QRSS transmitter is on frequency. I'd be surprised if it wasn't though, it is GPS set and running with an OCXO.

w2PfwVB.jpeg

My Hexbeam has been down since around October because the brake on my rotator broke! I've got a replacement rotator and a set of new elements for the beam and hopefully that'll be going back up soon. In the meantime I've slapped up a Sirio 827 for 10m and a Diamond X510N for 2m and 70cms. You can see I've put an old tri-band collinear on the mast while the beam isn't there and that's running an APRS RX only iGate at the moment.

fcQmfoo.jpeg

Me, only on 40m though. I didnt know you were part of the team when i worked it.
Missed this comment - @stigggeh, have you seen TXFactor #13? Remind me of your callsign (by Trust if you like) and I'll bung you a QSL card.

And @Cosimo, did you ever get around to getting your ticket?

Associate
Impressive looking mast!

Me and my wife passed our Foundation and Intermediate last year and are currently studying for the Full license through the Bath advanced distance learning course. Roughly about half way through it. We both have zero radio or electronics background so its not coming easy but I like a challenge.

Currently using an Icom 7300 for HF, Yaesu FTM400XDE for VHF/UHF and have Yaesu FT1XDE for when out and about.

Commissario
OP
@mjm8975 That's really good news - It's great to hear of people progressing their way through the hobby to the full licence and not sticking at the two lower levels. it's all about self training and education and by doing what you're doing, it shows a commitment. I understand that the Bath courses are very highly rated.

Agree with @Snaggle, the 7300 is a nice wireless but I've had a play and do still prefer the ergonomics of my 590SG.

Soldato
@stigggeh, have you seen TXFactor #13? Remind me of your callsign (by Trust if you like) and I'll bung you a QSL card.

Yes I'm a bit of a TX Factor fan so watch them as they are released, I was going to add a post here but decided against it just in case - :)

I'm fairly sure when I first contacted you on the 'radio forum' I held a 2E0, I don't think you have my M0 call so I'll contact you by trust.

@mjm8975 Good luck with your course. I found Qadv a really useful supplement to my learning/revision (http://www.qadv.uk/), not sure if you've seen it but it seemed to have a better pool of questions to Hamtests, although it is almost 4 years since I sat my full exam.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom