Road Cycling

Soldato
Managed to meet the guys at 10am. Steady part was steadier than I thought for being faster guys, even up a really rough climb where I go into the red I felt relatively comfortable.

When we turned and started a chain into the wind I took my turns but ended up in the red, clipped a guys wheel but kept it under control, took a breather then back into it.

I didn't realise we only had two guys sitting onto the group at the back so left a slightly too big a gap and that was that, hit the climb that usually breaks it up and I was done.

Kept going until I stopped to wait for the guy I had met up with, looks like he was 10+ minutes down but it meant I got a wee seat in the sunshine then we rode nicely on the way back, he stopped for food again but I kept the pace up until I got home. Makes a change for me to still feel strong near the end of such a run but I have ridden more miles so it is showing :)

Caporegime
Got my ride uploaded at last. Quite windy so I was nice and quick in one direction and dog slow in the other. I got caught in a diversion on the way and had to amble through a housing estate, then missed a turning when I got distracted by a redhead in denim shorts and had to turn round... Not masses of climbing today, but enough to keep it interesting. I had a great run at one point with the wind behind me, hitting 30mph and keeping the car behind me from overtaking, then soon after I got a PR on a descent which is quite good as I normally descend terribly. The return leg was a slog into the wind, so that sucked. My first four miles or so I averaged 19mph, but by the time I'd done some climbing and fought with the wind on the way home I was down to 15.9mph. Rubbish.

Associate
My Garmin crapped it's pants at the coffee stop too and lost 35 miles of data! So annoying... Elemnt :eek:

Few more miles on the Propel either way, I feel like the stem is a little long:

5edDDJs.jpg.png

It's a 110mm at the moment, I think a 90mm would be a good start and they're under a tenner on eBay.

Still reading up on wheel choices :o

Soldato
https://www.strava.com/activities/915082849

Cracking sportive this morning. Super well organised, great marshaling and signage, feed stops were stacked with stuff. Finished and free soup, socks, windbuff, medal, gels and recovery bars. Timing chip was a small sticker on your helmet.

Pretty cold to start and a fair bit of climbing right from the get go. 4000ft in total over 62 miles. Pedalling most of the time as the downhill bits were fairly quick and steep. No major climbs but a up and down grinding ride. Nice weather towards the end but still chilly.

Sign on as a chap who couldn't make it - no ID checked etc.

Caporegime
That looks more than 8 degrees, though it may be the head angle contributing to it. Try flipping it, see how that feels. Can always stick another spacer underneath if you don't think you'll lose too much slamtastic cred.

Soldato
I've personally not had any worse issues with Lifeline tubes vs more premium brands. I've been through about 10-12 tubes since moving to them and only had one dodgy one.
Only had an issue with one where the valve bent and broke off. That was probably mostly my fault but it did seem quite fragile. They hold air far better than the Mavic tubes that came with my bike.

Propels are quite tall by aero bike standards. Not Spesh Roubaix tall, but not pro-peloton-slam-it low either
Can agree with this. I'd be a Medium in a TCR but a Small in a Propel. Rode a medium for a day and it was definitely too big.

Soldato
Annual realisation has kicked in that as the weather improves my opportunities to ride reduce considerably :(

At the moment my time is split between having a toy car (and associated tinkering, maintenance, social meets/drives etc.) and cycling. Starting to think that I need to choose one or the other.

On a slightly less gloomy tone I got out for my first ride on the proper road bike this year and damn it felt perky! Comparing it to my winter bike is a bit like comparing my MX5 to my Focus. Both get you where you want to be, both are near enough as quick in reality but only one makes you want to thrash it and chuck it into bends :D

Soldato
My Garmin crapped it's pants at the coffee stop too and lost 35 miles of data! So annoying... Elemnt :eek:

Few more miles on the Propel either way, I feel like the stem is a little long: 5edDDJs.jpg.png

It's a 110mm at the moment, I think a 90mm would be a good start and they're under a tenner on eBay.

Still reading up on wheel choices :o

That front brake cable !!!

Don
First time commuting to work this year (due to sickness, weather and general lack of motivation) - cycle computer stuck in km/h (which was funny for the first 1/2 mile before I realised - thought I was doing well!), and then a 3/4 mile walk of shame due to a puncture.

Had a quick look, and looks like something has gone straight through the sidewall (which is surprising given that they are Gatorskins), so looks like I will need a new tyre as well as tube.

Not sure whether to go for another Gatorskin, Wiggle Lifeline Armour Road (http://www.wiggle.co.uk/lifeline-prime-armour-road-tyre/) or something else? Main criteria is Puncture resistance as with the Gatorskins have only had 2 punctures in 5 years ~4000 miles. Currently have 23c on Front (which needs replacing), and 28c on Back which ideally want to change back to 23c.

Not sure if Gatorskin Hardshell are worth a try? slightly heavier (not that it matters for a fatty like me!), but slightly thicker sidewall protection?
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/continental-gatorhardshell-road-tyre/

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom