Road Cycling

Soldato
I failed miserably to get out on the weekend, mildly annoyed with myself now (!). Saturday was a write off visiting parents pre-mothers day with our 'news'... We're expecting our first child in late September! Woo! It's amazing news and I'm not quite sure why everyone seems so surprised - we got a dog 5 years ago and joked he was a 'practice run' (he's turned out fantastic & everyone loves him!). Moved house last september into a 4 bed with a very good school just up the road... Take a hint people! :D :rolleyes:;)

Saturday morning I had to wait in for British Gas to deliver our new boiler so couldn't head out. Sunday was building a 6'x4' garden shed (after building glasshouse last weekend) so I'm in very good books at the moment (plus the dogs haircut next saturday meaning no club rides for nearly 2 months!). Not quite sure how I'm going to 'celebrate' my newfound 'best boyfriend ever' status. Bonus is the shed will accommodate all garden furniture and lawn mower so the torture chamber/bike mansion (garage) is getting clear with lots of space I could fill...! ;)

Could've headed out afterwards but I was already pretty tired from a long day saturday and sundays building antics so just decided to whip off my cranks & fit one of the spacers I ordered to move it outboard... Struggle as I could I can't get the damn crank arms undone! :o I don't have a 10mm fitting for my torque wrench (so have always done them up 'man' tight before) but damn...! Bent my 10mm allen key and not quite sure what to do next. Any tips? I'm concerned over my carbon frame with some of the forces I was putting through it (with bike clamped via seattube) after seeing it flex. Tonight I'm going to stamp on it when astride the bike (trick I've used with stubborn pedals). Not feeling 100% today which I hope is only from a busy weekend, lots of sun yesterday and a not very good nights rest after clock change. Sometimes feel like this after a few days off riding so fingers crossed it's not illness. :o

Maybe it's time to invest in a helmet cam?
icon_evil.gif
Wouldn't have done much for you in this instance as doubt the copper would want to watch the footage. You should've told him that the driver clipped your foot as you swerved to avoid him broadsiding you and that you were not happy with shaking hands. I'd have flipped my lid with that response from the Police officer - I'd have settled for nothing less than filling out an accident form and reporting the incident, even suggesting that the driver has something to hide and needs breathalysing. Probably nothing will come of it, but at least the dick wouldn't get away scott free with smashing your glasses. Part of the RTC form asks about injuries and the officer would have had to notice your marks & blood, immediately putting the driver at fault as he technically assaulted you, regardless if provoked or not. Any mention of compensating him for damage to his car would be met with me asking how the Police recommend you pursue a claim of dangerous driving! :mad:
Can confirm, still alive. 4th or 5th wheel in the second pack, 1 lap down, actually saw the lead pack finishing. Gave it a good few punts up the short rise/climb into some gusts :cool:

https://www.strava.com/activities/913431249

Will give a little write up later as Saturdays housework and foodshop were delayed today :p
Great result, huge effort and well done for your first!

One of the guys I know finished 10th, no idea if he was front group or yours, you could've been sprinting against him! ;)

What's your official result?
Anyhow, placed an order for a Elemnt Bolt so it looks like I'm joining that crew. Wiggle price seemed best @ £176 with platinum.
Should've hit me up and offered to buy my old 810 to nick the battery ;)

You'll love the ELEMNT! :D

Just a heads up: Things feel a little bit 'fiddly' at the start as everything on the Garmin is so complex, but you'll get to the stage of setting up the ELEMNT app of thinking 'is that it?'. So much of what you'll want is already there. As time goes on the configuration really grows on you (as does the unit)!
I do quite a lot of longer rides in unfamiliar territory so I think the dotted line routing would worry me a bit :p Vonhelmet does seem to manage pretty well with it though. Oh yeah, the other thing I couldn't live without is lazy BT automated uploading.
<snip>
I've heard so much good stuff about the Elemnt that it seemed an opportune time...
BT uploading? What's that? Sounds very '90s! ;) ELEMNT can upload directly to Wifi, it's awesome! No need to drain phone battery with BT on the whole time (unless you want txt alerts)! :D
I had a puncture last night and also my co2 inflator jammed - good thing I'd not actually left home though :D

I bin tubes once they've punctured - cba fixing them after just getting cheesed off with non sticky patches & patches sticking but still leaky - i have no patience so tubes are consumables as far as i'm concerned.
co2'ing at home?! wtf :D

I repair tubes if they're not too old (but never when out, just swap at roadside) and they only tend to get 1 patch. A second puncture = bin!
missed a turning when I got distracted by a redhead in denim shorts and had to turn round...
Hahahaha:D
https://www.strava.com/activities/915082849

Cracking sportive this morning. Super well organised, great marshaling and signage, feed stops were stacked with stuff. Finished and free soup, socks, windbuff, medal, gels and recovery bars. Timing chip was a small sticker on your helmet.
Well done, great ride! You had perfect weather for it... Bobby! ;)

Last edited:
Soldato
Not sure whether to go for another Gatorskin, Wiggle Lifeline Armour Road (http://www.wiggle.co.uk/lifeline-prime-armour-road-tyre/) or something else? Main criteria is Puncture resistance as with the Gatorskins have only had 2 punctures in 5 years ~4000 miles. Currently have 23c on Front (which needs replacing), and 28c on Back which ideally want to change back to 23c.

Not sure if Gatorskin Hardshell are worth a try? slightly heavier (not that it matters for a fatty like me!), but slightly thicker sidewall protection?
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/continental-gatorhardshell-road-tyre/
If you're getting that life out of 23mm tyres being a heavier rider then you shouldn't really be looking at cheap tyres like the Lifeline. You'll just end up disappointed! I'd stick with Continental but push you towards 4 Seasons or GP 4000 Sii's & 25mm. They'll both have loads more grip (especially in the wet) than the Skaterskins(!), but will wear slightly quicker as a trade off. If you're happy with slicker/faster tyres than the 4Seasons (like the GP4000's) but want to save a little then the Mitchelin Power Endurance (previously Pro4 Endurance) are very well regarded and reviewed. Running 25mm doesn't sacrifice any speed (outside of racing) over 23mm, giving you more grip and more comfort. Some say they roll even better than 23mm's!

Felt slow this morning on the surprisingly cold commute in... Think my PWM needs a reset after yesterdays antics as although it was slow it wasn't THAT slow lol (88W avg) ;)

Going to head out after work later to try and make up for 'missing out' over the weekend :D

Last edited:
Soldato
If you're getting that life out of 23mm tyres being a heavier rider then you shouldn't really be looking at cheap tyres like the Lifeline. You'll just end up disappointed! I'd stick with Continental but push you towards 4 Seasons or GP 4000 Sii's & 25mm. They'll both have loads more grip (especially in the wet) than the Skaterskins(!), but will wear slightly quicker as a trade off. If you're happy with slicker/faster tyres than the 4Seasons (like the GP4000's) but want to save a little then the Mitchelin Power Endurance (previously Pro4 Endurance) are very well regarded and reviewed. Running 25mm doesn't sacrifice any speed (outside of racing) over 23mm, giving you more grip and more comfort. Some say they roll even better than 23mm's!

I have the lifelines and they're actually surprisingly good tyres. 25mm front and rear, bit draggier than a GP4000s but very hardy. Much better than gaterskins and various cheaper range tyres I've had use of in the past. Grab some 28mm if you can fit them and just want to ride to and from work without any issue. If you want some grippier tyres with less puncture resistance I'd always favour a GP4000s over anything else.

Soldato
Maybe so, but looking at cheaper & puncture proof commuting tyres opens up many others, Schwalbe Marathon, Panaracer Ribmo & several Vittorias.

They'll all feel slower than the Conti Gators/4Seas/GP4/Mitch PE's...

Don
@Roady @SoliD - thanks for the feedback - as long as the GP4S aren't much less resilient than the Gatorskins then I'll likely get a 25mm for the front for a start, and then change the rear for a 25mm later (Had heard that 25mm weren't meant to be any slower, but as always other's experience is valued)

Associate
@Roady @SoliD - thanks for the feedback - as long as the GP4S aren't much less resilient than the Gatorskins then I'll likely get a 25mm for the front for a start, and then change the rear for a 25mm later (Had heard that 25mm weren't meant to be any slower, but as always other's experience is valued)

I have had less punctures in my Michelin Pro4s than with my Gatorskins plus a whole load more grip!

Soldato
Any specific cable cutter recommendations?

Discovered mine are pretty useless at cutting cable outers with any consistency yesterday. It was pretty much a game of luck as to whether there was a massive sharp piece left over or not... wasted a fair amount of cable.

Soldato
You'll notice a big difference in comfort from 23mm to 25mm (you may be aware of this already with the 28mm's). I found the increase from 25mm to 28mm is very similar in 'feel' and I'm even considering 30/32mm for next winter if I can fit them under my mudguards! Getting older I want the comfort! ;)
Any specific cable cutter recommendations?
I thought I could manage with side side cutters & snips but after bagging a pair of the Park Tool ones I realise how stupid I was being! Snagged mine for £15 but can't remember where.

Soldato
Arrgh! My bike has suddenly developed a massively annoying squeak. On the inner chain ring everything is absolutely fine. As soon as I shift into the big chain ring then the back end of the bike sounds like it's got a million canaries nesting in it. If I apply a bit of pressure to the rear shift lever then it silences things. My first thought is that I might have been a bit over zealous when cleaning my jockey wheels at the weekend? If that's the case, is it just a case of sticking some grease on the bearings?

Soldato
Congrats @Roady! Yea, you should still be able to get some good rides in to start with, but then you know, as they start to walk and that you're doomed.

I managed to get out a bit longer commute before work, small climbs, but better than my 10km ride in. It looked nice and sunny though, went out full summer; bib shorts, short top, no underlayer, fingerless gloves. JESUS, it was about 1-3c out there. I had to stop to put my (fortunate to have it with me) windproof/ waterproof thin jacket on the top. I'd have died. ANd forgot my bottle of water, too. I had a good start to the day really.

Trying to get a decent 1hr ish commute in in the morning though, as I'm finding it so hard to get anything in after work at the moment. :(

Don
Order placed - couldn't quite run to 2 tyres this month so will probably change the rear next month. Got a couple of spare tubes, some rim tape (existing tape hasn't ever been changed - so thought at that price get some in case), and a pump/co2 inflator to carry with me (as haven't been carrying anything previously!)

twf7Mub.png

Soldato
co2'ing at home?! wtf :D

I repair tubes if they're not too old (but never when out, just swap at roadside) and they only tend to get 1 patch. A second puncture = bin!
Hahahaha:D

Yes, dry run as I've never used one in anger before, lucky I did as otherwise I'd have gone out with it and relied on it to get a puncture fixed - it would have left me right in the ****!

Now ordered a proper Lezyne one & a multipack of co2 squirts.

Good luck with the triplets Roady :D

Back
Top Bottom