Spec me a CCTV System

Soldato
Decent NVR required. I will source and buy the HDD and cameras separately, currently thinking Hikvision, but my Swann system has been great so open to suggestions.

Requirements:

4xPOE connections
Support 4x1080p @24fps
No HDD required
Smart phone app for remote viewing.

There's probably plenty of suggestions here already, but it's a big thread! I will get reading anyway :)

Also, regarding the "Law" and regs etc. Where do I stand with this?

http://imgur.com/a/4VkOh

Basically I cover the front of the house with this view but also the track. This track is technically several people's (long story) but 3 properties have right of access over it (including us as sole access to my property) and it's also a public footpath. Would I ever get a slap on the wrist?
The other two people know and are grateful for me covering the track, but it's the general public, dog walkers and the like.

Last edited:
Associate
I've got a 5 cam setup using the Hikvision cameras. I use the DS-7608 - which is the 8 port NVR. Might be worth considering an 8 port just to future proof.

They now do a 4k version - but I would guess that would be overkill??

I had issues with ambient light in our street being rubbish - so had to install some lighting to the front. The picture is crystal clear and I'm running it at max FPS. The NVR itself is really clever and with a bit of fiddling - you can achieve what you want. The alarm inputs / outputs are good and any cameras with sound work seamlessly.

I considered building a PC and using third party software - but to be honest, it just seemed like such a faff.

Samsung do an alternative SRN-873S - but i think price is comparable.

Good luck!

Soldato
I've got a 5 cam setup using the Hikvision cameras. I use the DS-7608 - which is the 8 port NVR. Might be worth considering an 8 port just to future proof.

They now do a 4k version - but I would guess that would be overkill??

I had issues with ambient light in our street being rubbish - so had to install some lighting to the front. The picture is crystal clear and I'm running it at max FPS. The NVR itself is really clever and with a bit of fiddling - you can achieve what you want. The alarm inputs / outputs are good and any cameras with sound work seamlessly.

I considered building a PC and using third party software - but to be honest, it just seemed like such a faff.

Samsung do an alternative SRN-873S - but i think price is comparable.

Good luck!

Cheers :)

8 Port is overkill, I will start with 3 cameras and maybe install a 4th if required. If i got the DS-7608, is it possible to record 4x 1080p @ 24fps at once?

Associate
I am planning an entire home rewire and I'll like to plan and install the security system so that everything can go in the wall before plastering etc

I was just wondering if anyone has purchased from cctv systems from hdcctv.co.uk or cctv42.co.uk? Any other home security tips/systems that can be wired and installed at this early stage would be appreciated.

Soldato
Set up a hikvision DVR and 4 cameras at the weekend for my parents.

Very impressive kit. However...they live in the rural and power goes off once a day. As such resets the IP address and this in turn effects the remote monitoring on the hikvision app. Other than requesting a static IP address from the isp which I can't do as they are not a business customer, what else can be done? I see you can register a hikvision domain name?

Soldato

Very impressive kit. However...they live in the rural and power goes off once a day. As such resets the IP address and this in turn effects the remote monitoring on the hikvision app. Other than requesting a static IP address from the isp which I can't do as they are not a business customer, what else can be done? I see you can register a hikvision domain name?
www.no-ip.com

Will that not solve it? Or am I missing something?

Soldato

As Pho says, a UPS would be invaluable for anything like this as power cuts and restores aren't going to do any good to them anyway.

Associate
Cheers :)

8 Port is overkill, I will start with 3 cameras and maybe install a 4th if required. If i got the DS-7608, is it possible to record 4x 1080p @ 24fps at once?

Im using the 7108, cheaper china model I got off ebay for £120 with english firmware. I have 4 x 1080p recording at 25fps albeit on a motion activation, they are usually all recording at once when it rains hard.

www.no-ip.com

Will that not solve it? Or am I missing something?

Im using a free no-ip account, you just have to confirm you still want the account every month (they email you) seems to work ok so far :)

Soldato
Im using the 7108, cheaper china model I got off ebay for £120 with english firmware. I have 4 x 1080p recording at 25fps albeit on a motion activation, they are usually all recording at once when it rains hard.

Im using a free no-ip account, you just have to confirm you still want the account every month (they email you) seems to work ok so far :)
Take a look to see if you can enter the login credentials into your router, then this keeps it active and updates it regularly with the latest ip

Soldato
@LFltecher

that seems like a LOT of cameras

Have you drawn out the positions, FOV and pixel density?
I'm reading this thread and trying to understand how I might go about spec'ing an IP camera CCTV system for myself. I see in your response to LFletcher, you talk about camera positions, field-of-view and pixel density. I have a basic understanding of field-of-view and corresponding lenses, but would you be good enough to expand on the pixel density bit?

Soldato
I'm trying to understand CCTV systems but it's going to take me a while to read up on the last 60 pages.

While I'm doing that could somebody let me know if this is any good? Is it worth paying the extra for a POE system?

EDIT : is it worth paying a bit more for the 3MP version?

Last edited:
Soldato
Another newbie popping into this thread. We were recently burgled and we're exposed as there is a shared drive between us and the neighbour which allows people to walk right up to the back garden and hop over the fence. So practical considerations are:
  • I can't put a camera on the side of the house as it will be pointing right into the neighbour's windows, so I am thinking one over the front door and one over the back.
  • We are directly opposite a primary school (about 80 ft away from the front door to the school gate so I imagine DPA is going to cause us some bother. With dome lenses can I move the lens so it only sees as far as our property boundary?
On the technical side I have a Synology disk station with a bunch of WD Reds in it so was thinking:
  • Two IP cameras with PoE (what brand, type?), will need IR.
  • PoE switch or two injectors (probably go switch for future proofing) connected to our BT router.
Am I missing anything? What types of camera should I be looking for?

Soldato

I'm sure Hikvision have their own DDNS service. A friend at work has just set up some Hikvision kit and by logging into a Hikvision portal (I think it was this one http://www.hik-online.com/auth/login) he was able to access his cameras.

Associate
Another newbie popping into this thread. We were recently burgled and we're exposed as there is a shared drive between us and the neighbour which allows people to walk right up to the back garden and hop over the fence. So practical considerations are:
  • I can't put a camera on the side of the house as it will be pointing right into the neighbour's windows, so I am thinking one over the front door and one over the back.
  • We are directly opposite a primary school (about 80 ft away from the front door to the school gate so I imagine DPA is going to cause us some bother. With dome lenses can I move the lens so it only sees as far as our property boundary?
On the technical side I have a Synology disk station with a bunch of WD Reds in it so was thinking:
  • Two IP cameras with PoE (what brand, type?), will need IR.
  • PoE switch or two injectors (probably go switch for future proofing) connected to our BT router.
Am I missing anything? What types of camera should I be looking for?

This is a similar setup to mine with a camera on the front and back. Yes, you can adjust the position of the lens in a dome camera and you can also mask the picture, i.e. put an electronic black patch over a section of the picture which won't be recorded.

I went with HIKVision cameras as they're pretty good value for money. Synology publish a compatibility list that may be of use when you choose: - https://www.synology.com/en-uk/compatibility/camera

Back
Top Bottom