Spec me a CCTV System

Associate
I have purchased a 4k 4 camera hikvision system for our business.
I have a static IP and would like to monitor the premises through PC/ Phone etc.
Would somebody be so kind as to point me in the direction of a walkthrough or similar to enable me to set up the network and the router please?
Cameras and nvr all installed and working fine.

There are of guides but they all seem to differ.
Thank you

Last edited:
Soldato
One of the main things now in remote viewing is to never use port forwarding. Unless you don't care about security. Using a vpn is a safer and better option.

One simpler option is to use hik-connect.com. Installing the app on your phone and registering your cameras to your hik-connect account via the app or online browser lets you remote view without setting up port forwarding and maintains security.

Soldato
This is a similar setup to mine with a camera on the front and back. Yes, you can adjust the position of the lens in a dome camera and you can also mask the picture, i.e. put an electronic black patch over a section of the picture which won't be recorded.

I went with HIKVision cameras as they're pretty good value for money. Synology publish a compatibility list that may be of use when you choose: - https://www.synology.com/en-uk/compatibility/camera
Cheers for this. Ordered a Hikvision turret camera, a PoE injector and some cable from Amazon, only to find the bloody thing was a return and the password had been set. Just waiting for the replacement to arrive.

Man of Honour
I have just placed an order for Arlo Pro which seems the simplest system for my needs, which is not just front and back but is grounds and garage, which is a fair distance from the house.

Associate
I've just picked up a cheap hikvision setup from China and one of the cameras appears to be displaying hex code, does anyone know why or preferably how to fix it? :)

I've trawled the manual.. I guess it's on the PTZ side but I can't find anything that might remove it.

It looks like this -

olayuqs.jpg

Soldato
I've just picked up a cheap hikvision setup from China and one of the cameras appears to be displaying hex code, does anyone know why or preferably how to fix it? :)

I've trawled the manual.. I guess it's on the PTZ side but I can't find anything that might remove it.

It looks like this -

olayuqs.jp

I've seen this in the Smart PTZ cameras during it's selftest. I'm configuring one tomorrow so I'll have a look :) Have you got a model number?

e; Have you checked the on-screen overlay?

Soldato
Anyone here have any thoughts on the quality of the motion detection on Hikvision cameras vs Synology's own software?

I'm using Synology's at the moment and having trouble getting the settings right. Either have loads of false positives when the porch light goes off at night or when the camera switches to night vision, or the other extreme of anything smaller than the car not setting it off. Can't find the middle ground yet.

Associate
I've seen this in the Smart PTZ cameras during it's selftest. I'm configuring one tomorrow so I'll have a look :) Have you got a model number?

e; Have you checked the on-screen overlay?

I've trawled back and forth through the DVR settings as well as the PTZ settings but I didn't get too far, I wasn't sure if there could be a dip switch or hardware control for it buried in the casing?

This is the one we picked up -

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemVersion&item=272062185103

(best link I could generate :o )

Associate
I've upgraded my cctv from a dedicated micros DS2 with vista powerdome and genie domes to a hikvision 7608 4k model and have 5 cameras all on motion recording at 4mp, 4 recording 15fps and 1 at 24. I only have one at 24 to capture the moving vehicles of entrance and exit. Why does everyone want to record 24fps? it's a waste of space, and there isn't much difference between 15 and 24.

I have to say i'm impressed with the Kit, it's decent apart from the mini bullet camera which has way too much concentration on the IR in the middle of the image, but the domes and exir turret are great. I've also got a 80m IR bullet for looking down a driveway on it's way and see what that brings IR wise.

Even using the hik-connect it uses UPNP to do auto port forwarding, i've got mine going through a firewall allowing only certain mac addresses to access it. I've got it emailing using line crossing and intrusion detection and it's literally 30 secs from it being triggered to my phone getting the email. What does annoy me though is the sensitivity settings only being able to be moved in 20, so you can't select 30, anyone else had this problem?

Soldato
looking to get some Hikvisions.. for outside of the flat and garden

4mm or 6mm /?

What area are you covering? It's impossible to say without further information.

I've trawled back and forth through the DVR settings as well as the PTZ settings but I didn't get too far, I wasn't sure if there could be a dip switch or hardware control for it buried in the casing?

This is the one we picked up -

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemVersion&item=272062185103

(best link I could generate :o )

Ahhh so it's not a Hikvision? I've just looked at all of the PTZ Hikvision cameras we have at work and couldn't find any way to change the display like this sadly :(

Soldato
its to cover the sides of a house.. drive way, side drive to garage, . front door .. etc
Driveway I prefer 2.8mm focal lengths generally on a dome, we've had a lot of customers use the darkfighter ones lately slightly more expensive but amazing night imagery (colour shots with little to no lighting)

Down the side of the house go for either a 4 or a 6, depends on how narrow and what elevation you've got. Again I prefer domes on the wall mount brackets as they look awesome however, at a decent height a bullet can provide more movement in getting the ideal picture.

Soldato
Can anyone recommend a trustworthy CCTV vendor (online) that I can use to pick up a second Hikvision? Amazon is the cheapest but not a fan of the pot luck of third party sellers.

In other news the motion detection gave me a bit of a fright today, I assumed it was another false positive but it picked up someone parked on the driveway. I switched to the live feed from my phone and some chap had got out his car and was peering into the windows! Then he pulls out his phone... and mine rings...

Turns out its the local detective following up on our break in (why I installed the CCTV in the first place) :D

Soldato
Driveway I prefer 2.8mm focal lengths generally on a dome, we've had a lot of customers use the darkfighter ones lately slightly more expensive but amazing night imagery (colour shots with little to no lighting)

Down the side of the house go for either a 4 or a 6, depends on how narrow and what elevation you've got. Again I prefer domes on the wall mount brackets as they look awesome however, at a decent height a bullet can provide more movement in getting the ideal picture.

I have as much elevation as i need.. does that higher mean 4 or 6 is bettter ?

Thank you .. i had an older camera to test and set up the Synology software.. bit fiddly setting it up but got it going and very impressed

ill buy some more cameras today

next thing how to work out how to get the network cable from Switch to each cameras position.

Soldato
I have as much elevation as i need.. does that higher mean 4 or 6 is bettter ?

Thank you .. i had an older camera to test and set up the Synology software.. bit fiddly setting it up but got it going and very impressed

ill buy some more cameras today

next thing how to work out how to get the network cable from Switch to each cameras position.

I prefer a 6mm to provide a nice shot that helps to identify, some would argue that's too narrow.

Back
Top Bottom