Picked up a LG OLED55B6V

Soldato
Did you say what source material you were seeing the shadow detail problem with ?
I had wondered if you were using a ub900 from a 4k disc, in which case the recent Panasonic patches to allow hdr to be re-mapped for different ambiant light settings might have been the solution

I have no idea what any of that means :)... I was using files downloaded from http://demo-uhd3d.com/categorie.php?tag=hdr.

On the new one I got today I have no shadow issues at all. It's a lot better for some reason... ?

Soldato
I have no idea what any of that mean

Thanks, I was referring to this
Panasonic has also recognised that HDR content is generally unsuitable for watching in high ambient lighting, since the source signal is encoded in absolute luminance as code values, and most HDR TVs would max out their [Backlight] and [Contrast] settings in HDR mode, leaving little headroom for manoeuvre unlike SDR (whose video signal operates in relative luminance) where gamma can be used effectively to brighten the picture by applying a gain adjustment. Some viewers engage [Dynamic Contrast] on their televisions to obtain a luminance boost for watching HDR during daytime, but it’s far from ideal because there’s little to no compensation for the PQ (perceptual quantisation) EOTF (electro-optical transfer function) used in ST.2084 HDR10 standard.....

Soldato
I looked at the curve but tbh I was not overly fussed on the curve and for some reason it only has 3 HDMI ports from what I could tell. Other than that it seemed the same so went flat.... again...

You need to get a decent av receiver mate, I couldn't live without mine. I literally use the one HDMI (ARC) to my amp and the amp has around 8 HDMI 2.2 inputs so I'm never short.

I just say I've just tested out some HDR content (the grand tour) and it looks bloody amazing on this TV. I'm so impressed with this set so far, nothing yet that I've found fault with. One thing I did want to know is that I've read by setting the input icon to games console it automatically reduces input lag, is that correct? I've got the icon to my amp set as this now but just checking it won't mess up any other sources as my amp is the only hdmi port I use and the amp itself handles the inputs. Hope that makes sense!

Soldato
I'm happy with my soundbar it does what I need.

download some of the demos from the link I posted above some really stunning content....

No idea about the icon thing mine automatically recognised my PS4 Pro and changed the icon to the controller.

Soldato
You need to get a decent av receiver mate, I couldn't live without mine. I literally use the one HDMI (ARC) to my amp and the amp has around 8 HDMI 2.2 inputs so I'm never short.

I just say I've just tested out some HDR content (the grand tour) and it looks bloody amazing on this TV. I'm so impressed with this set so far, nothing yet that I've found fault with. One thing I did want to know is that I've read by setting the input icon to games console it automatically reduces input lag, is that correct? I've got the icon to my amp set as this now but just checking it won't mess up any other sources as my amp is the only hdmi port I use and the amp itself handles the inputs. Hope that makes sense!

Is your amp HDCP 2.2 compliant?

I have one that does 4k 60FPS pass through, but it's not HDCP 2.2 so it can't do HDR etc.

Soldato
I'm happy with my soundbar it does what I need.

download some of the demos from the link I posted above some really stunning content....

No idea about the icon thing mine automatically recognised my PS4 Pro and changed the icon to the controller.

Cheers buddy. Are you using any amended game mode settings?

Soldato
Just sat and watched The Revenant in 4K HDR on my Xbox One S and all I can is wow. Absolutely stunning picture quality, I'm blown away by how good it looks! I dread to think how good it looks on a better standalone player. Been tempted by the oppo but it's £650!

IMG_7285.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato

Not seen this or heard of it, you talking about game mode picture that you select in picture settings or is this something else?

*edit, ah is this to do with hdmi control, not got that enabled myself.

What picture settings you using Spikey, if you don't mind me asking?

Here is mine:

ISF Expert bright room
oled 55
contrast 85
colour 50
brightness 50
gamma 2.2
sharpness H/V 10
tint 0
colour gamut normal
W/B and CMS all default values
Processing stuff all off apart from real cinema

Last edited:
Soldato
Not seen this or heard of it, you talking about game mode picture that you select in picture settings or is this something else?

*edit, ah is this to do with hdmi control, not got that enabled myself.

What picture settings you using Spikey, if you don't mind me asking?

Here is mine:

ISF Expert bright room
oled 55
contrast 85
colour 50
brightness 50
gamma 2.2
sharpness H/V 10
tint 0
colour gamut normal
W/B and CMS all default values
Processing stuff all off apart from real cinema

Hello mate, yeah I was referring to changing the input icon to game console reduces input lag on the source but I just wondered if it would cause issues when watching movies etc, can't say it has!

Settings wise I've only messed around with game mode at the moment and I copied the digital foundry settings from their recent B6 video.

Are your settings above for general TV viewing?

Soldato
Hello mate, yeah I was referring to changing the input icon to game console reduces input lag on the source but I just wondered if it would cause issues when watching movies etc, can't say it has!

Settings wise I've only messed around with game mode at the moment and I copied the digital foundry settings from their recent B6 video.

Are your settings above for general TV viewing?

I use the digital foundry settings as well at the moment, seem ok.

The settings I posted above are for Freeview TV, and all bluray and 4k netflix playback, I try to stay away from any SD content where possible now.

Ive not got any 4k/HDR devices yet, only got Netflix for that and I use the Dolby Vision Dark mode for that at its default picture settings.

Soldato
I use the digital foundry settings as well at the moment, seem ok.

The settings I posted above are for Freeview TV, and all bluray and 4k netflix playback, I try to stay away from any SD content where possible now.

Ive not got any 4k/HDR devices yet, only got Netflix for that and I use the Dolby Vision Dark mode for that at its default picture settings.

I'm using a Tivo box but I'm considering getting their new V6 if they can do it for a good price.

Soldato
I have no idea what any of that means :)... I was using files downloaded from http://demo-uhd3d.com/categorie.php?tag=hdr.

On the new one I got today I have no shadow issues at all. It's a lot better for some reason... ?

Just tried the jazz vid in hdr10:cool:

Was going to download the fury road trailer but it says for panasonic TV's only so i guess that might not work?

Back
Top Bottom