**** The Official Samsung Galaxy S8/S8+ Thread ****

Soldato
I need slime case suggestions, I know there have been cases mentioned but there are way to many pages to be scanning. Ideally something that doesn't take the look away from the phone and gives some protection to the screen.
I have Ringke hybrid clear case - it's a good alternative to the super slim ones as it offers good protection while not taking from the look.

Otherwise if you just want scratch protection then the Samsung clear case has been praised here so far.

Soldato
Not a fan of flip cases, I normally don't use cases and run the risk of getting scratches (and do). I have a cheap slim TPU case while I wait for the delivery of my Samsung clear cover case. The cheap case I have on doesn't have a lip on the front, so there wasn't any clearance on the front which doesn't help.

What annoys me most is that I always manage to scratch my screens, yet I don't do rigorous. Yet I read others say how great gorilla glass and never get a scratch. I most be doing something wrong.

It does feel like I could possibly polish it to make it less noticeable.

I have never actually managed to scratch a phone screen (touch wood). Whenever I put a mark on mine it seems to be to the edges.

I don't like using those nasty plastic bumper type cases as they ruin the look of the phone. Why bother with a state of the art device if you are going to cover it in plastic tat?

I usually go for a simple leather pouch.

I'd try giving it a gentle rub with a soft lint free cloth. Hope you can get rid of the worst of it.

Associate
I have never actually managed to scratch a phone screen (touch wood). Whenever I put a mark on mine it seems to be to the edges.

I don't like using those nasty plastic bumper type cases as they ruin the look of the phone. Why bother with a state of the art device if you are going to cover it in plastic tat?

I usually go for a simple leather pouch.

I'd try giving it a gentle rub with a soft lint free cloth. Hope you can get rid of the worst of it.

Any leather pouches you recommend as I tend to agree with cases taking the look away.

Soldato
This is absolutely ridiculous, I've not taken the phone out of my flat yet, only had it in pocket for less than 5 mins carrying from bedroom to lounge and there is a scratch in the glass already. This tough glass nonsense really is a bunch of ********. Guessing it was pocket grit as I would never put it with something else. Doesnt give me hope for life on the farm with it.

Guess I'll try some screen protectors or have to stick it in an otterbox which is the last thing I want.

Disappointed is an understatement.

Last edited:
Soldato
This is absolutely ridiculous, I've not taken the phone out of my flat yet, only had it in pocket for less than 5 mins carrying from bedroom to lounge and there is a scratch in the glass already. This tough glass nonsense really is a bunch of ********. Guessing it was pocket grit as I would never put it with something else. Doesnt give me hope for life on the farm with it.

Guess I'll try some screen protectors or have to stick it in an otterbox which is the last thing I want.

I feel your pain.

Soldato
Already annoyed with the amount of fingerprints and smudges on the back. The dbrand skins are currently in transit, so hoping they arrive tomorrow. Is it too much to ask for a frosted glass back like the Xperia Z5 had? Best of both worlds then.

I've disabled the Samsung app power monitor in the battery screen in favour of seeing how Nougat's built in Doze feature handles app management. Will run this for a full charge and compare against the full charge with Samsung's monitor enabled. I find Samsung's monitor is a bit too aggressive at putting idle apps to sleep. Apps that don't consume battery if not put to sleep anyway, but useful to keep running, like LastFM scrobbler, Google Rewards (which I only open when the app notifies me, but I don't see a notification if the app is asleep!).

I think Android's built in Doze is a better compromise of power consumption vs keeping necessary apps alive when not in use.

:eek:
You can choose which apps it will save battery on in advanced settings so can switch this option off for the ones you want to have on at all times.

Soldato
Yeah I cant believe it, I usually put a screen protector on instantly but is my first curved phone and wasn't sure if I was going to keep or not. Guess that's been answered for me now.

I even left the plastic protector on for a few days!

Soldato
Anyone still waiting on their S8+ from Amazon?, I cancelled my pre order with Samsung to go with Amazon and regret it, they dont even have it in stock....and its in stock everywhere, gutted :(

Associate

I have an S7 and tried one or two glass and plastic screen protectors and never liked any of them. So first smartphone that I've had the glass bare. So far with life on the farm there is only one very fine scratch and then you have to look hard to see it. I've been impressed with how it is wearing.

Feel your pain though on a new phone. Otterbox and others similar do bulk the phone up. Does spoil what is a svelte phone. I read the otterboxs for S8 don't have a screen protector fitted? Maybe check before buying.

Back
Top Bottom