**** The Official Samsung Galaxy S8/S8+ Thread ****

Associate
Zaps
Same question as I have a Pixel XL and thinking about the switch...

The grass is always greener on the other side - or so they say ;) Anyway, it's a free country and peeps can do as they like with their hard earned.. or at least what they are going to earn over the next 12 to 24 months :D

Scary money for a phone though.

Soldato
I guess it makes some sense in your case then. I remember going back to Apple when they launched the iPhone 5 and I just hated it. Missed my previous phone, galaxy nexus. So I sold it and got an S4 which I loved. Stayed with the Samsung phones from there on, going to the s6 then the s8.

One thing going for iPhones is they do hold their value.

Yup, part of the reason why they are a low risk purchase when you can sell after 8 months still recoup about 70-75% of what you paid :p

Soldato
Got my S8+ unlocked via ebay for a tenner, but I've decided to stick with EE anyway. The bt sports app detects a non-EE sim and it doesn't work. Huge bonus for those who got the BT Sports deal though, you also get Boxnation for free! :D The only 2 sports I really watch are football and boxing, so this really sweetens the deal for me. Subscription for Boxnation alone is around £10/£12 a month!

I've been using the phone properly for 2 days now, starting to get used to the shape/size of it but my first impressions haven't really changed much, this phone is all about the screen.

Soldato
Got my S8+ unlocked via ebay for a tenner, but I've decided to stick with EE anyway. The bt sports app detects a non-EE sim and it doesn't work. Huge bonus for those who got the BT Sports deal though, you also get Boxnation for free! :D The only 2 sports I really watch are football and boxing, so this really sweetens the deal for me. Subscription for Boxnation alone is around £10/£12 a month!

I've been using the phone properly for 2 days now, starting to get used to the shape/size of it but my first impressions haven't really changed much, this phone is all about the screen.

Do I need to install the BT Sports app with the sim I purchased from MPD to enable it for the duration of the contract? I'm currently with ee just porting out to 3 and back again to keep my ee number :rolleyes:

Associate
So, I have an iPhone 7 Plus and thinking about also getting the S8 plus.

I need the iPhone for the sheer about of family FaceTime/iMessage thus, I am considering having two devices. I'm bored to tears with iOS but it does somethings well.

Does anyone carry/use two phones? I could set my work emails up on the S8 plus and get an additional share sim as part of my EE contract for a few pounds per month.

Thoughts?

Soldato
Is anyone using always on display? It seems to turn off while in my pocket or facing down on a surface, soon as i pick it up it switches back on. But when i leave my phone facing upwards on a surface, it stays on? I wish it would turn off until i pick the phone up again.

What's wrong with leaving it face down if you're not looking at it anyway? I have mine face down and also have the option turned on when it vibrates when you pick it up to tell you if you have notifications. Works great.

Soldato
So, I have an iPhone 7 Plus and thinking about also getting the S8 plus.

I need the iPhone for the sheer about of family FaceTime/iMessage thus, I am considering having two devices. I'm bored to tears with iOS but it does somethings well.

Does anyone carry/use two phones? I could set my work emails up on the S8 plus and get an additional share sim as part of my EE contract for a few pounds per month.

Thoughts?

No idea why you would want two phones. Seems a total waste of funds given the cost of top end smartphones these days.

No doubt the s8 is leagues ahead of any iPhone. In fact I have no idea why people still buy them.

If you want an s8 then I'd sell the iPhone to help fund it.

Soldato
Well looks like I don't need to baby my phone anymore. Managed to put a good size scratch on the screen yesterday. Don't know how it happened, was in coat pocket most of the time. Only thing I can think of was when I laid my phone face down for awhile on a restaurant table to not get distracted by the AoD.

Last edited:
Soldato
Well looks like I don't need to baby my phone anymore. Managed to put a good size scratch on the screen yesterday. Don't know how it happened, was in coat pocket most for the time. Only thing I can think of was when I laid my phone face down for awhile on a restaurant table to not get distracted by the AoD.

Nightmare, especially when you have no idea how it happened! Sorry to hear this!

Soldato
Well looks like I don't need to baby my phone anymore. Managed to put a good size scratch on the screen yesterday. Don't know how it happened, was in coat pocket most for the time. Only thing I can think of was when I laid my phone face down for awhile on a restaurant table to not get distracted by the AoD.

Bummer :(

I wouldn't leave my phone screen down though. Can't you get a pouch or flip case to hide / protect the screen? Or turn the aod off?

My phone came with a small mark on the metal trim out of the box which annoyed me. I had already set it up when I spotted it though and couldn't be bothered to take it back.

It won't stay 100% pristine forever anyway.

Have you tried polishing it off?

Associate
No idea why you would want two phones. Seems a total waste of funds given the cost of top end smartphones these days.

No doubt the s8 is leagues ahead of any iPhone. In fact I have no idea why people still buy them.

If you want an s8 then I'd sell the iPhone to help fund it.

Best of both worlds.

Maybe the answer is the Galaxy Tab S3 and keep the iPhone?

Associate
I need slime case suggestions, I know there have been cases mentioned but there are way to many pages to be scanning. Ideally something that doesn't take the look away from the phone and gives some protection to the screen.

Man of Honour
Already annoyed with the amount of fingerprints and smudges on the back. The dbrand skins are currently in transit, so hoping they arrive tomorrow. Is it too much to ask for a frosted glass back like the Xperia Z5 had? Best of both worlds then.

I've disabled the Samsung app power monitor in the battery screen in favour of seeing how Nougat's built in Doze feature handles app management. Will run this for a full charge and compare against the full charge with Samsung's monitor enabled. I find Samsung's monitor is a bit too aggressive at putting idle apps to sleep. Apps that don't consume battery if not put to sleep anyway, but useful to keep running, like LastFM scrobbler, Google Rewards (which I only open when the app notifies me, but I don't see a notification if the app is asleep!).

I think Android's built in Doze is a better compromise of power consumption vs keeping necessary apps alive when not in use.

I need slime case suggestions,

:eek:

Soldato
Bummer :(

I wouldn't leave my phone screen down though. Can't you get a pouch or flip case to hide / protect the screen? Or turn the aod off?

My phone came with a small mark on the metal trim out of the box which annoyed me. I had already set it up when I spotted it though and couldn't be bothered to take it back.

It won't stay 100% pristine forever anyway.

Have you tried polishing it off?

Not a fan of flip cases, I normally don't use cases and run the risk of getting scratches (and do). I have a cheap slim TPU case while I wait for the delivery of my Samsung clear cover case. The cheap case I have on doesn't have a lip on the front, so there wasn't any clearance on the front which doesn't help.

What annoys me most is that I always manage to scratch my screens, yet I don't do rigorous. Yet I read others say how great gorilla glass and never get a scratch. I most be doing something wrong.

It does feel like I could possibly polish it to make it less noticeable.

Back
Top Bottom