Possible issues at work

Associate
Hello everyone,

I'm not sure if this is just me or if maybe we're being taken for granted here!

This is my first "proper" job I've had, basically when I got the job I had go sign an agreement to state I'm willing to work more than 48 hours per week.

My contract doesn't state anything about overtime at all, I don't know if companies have to pay overtime?

I work 6 days a week And for the past 2 months have done roughly 235 hours, all of this is under basic pay, we don't get any time and a half or overtime.

I've also kind of been dragged into the supervisor position for one day a week where my supervisor is off, for which I get 45p an hour more, which to me doesn't seem worth it.

Is this normal for most people, just kind of feels like we are being used!

Man of Honour
Team leader/supervisor extra pay in some industries isn't that much more an hour - sounds like not a great employer overall though.

Soldato
Hello everyone,

I'm not sure if this is just me or if maybe we're being taken for granted here!

This is my first "proper" job I've had, basically when I got the job I had go sign an agreement to state I'm willing to work more than 48 hours per week.

My contract doesn't state anything about overtime at all, I don't know if companies have to pay overtime?

I work 6 days a week And for the past 2 months have done roughly 235 hours, all of this is under basic pay, we don't get any time and a half or overtime.

I've also kind of been dragged into the supervisor position for one day a week where my supervisor is off, for which I get 45p an hour more, which to me doesn't seem worth it.

Is this normal for most people, just kind of feels like we are being used!

Which 3rd world country is this job in?

Oh - it's the UK.

Soldato
is that 235 hours on top of your basic? i'm assuming it is because if it's not then 235 hours is a little over 6 weeks @ a standard 37.5hr/week and so if you did that over an 8 week period then that's not even a 'standard' 37.5hr week. if it's on top of your normal hours then GTFO of there. sorry if you've clarified that point, i'm tired lol

in fact just get out of there anyway. you deserve better.

Associate
is that 235 hours on top of your basic? i'm assuming it is because if it's not then 235 hours is a little over 6 weeks @ a standard 37.5hr/week and so if you did that over an 8 week period then that's not even a 'standard' 37.5hr week. if it's on top of your normal hours then GTFO of there. sorry if you've clarified that point, i'm tired lol

in fact just get out of there anyway. you deserve better.

I was wondering the same thing myself. It isn't clear whether the OP has only worked 235hours in 2 months or 235hours extra on top of whatever his normal contracted hours are. I would assume because the OP has been coerced into signing out of the working time directive that it is 235hours on top of their contracted hours. If I was being forced to work these hours and not paid at an overtime rate I would be looking to move on from this company ASAP. As others have said doesn't sound like a great employer to work for at all.

Soldato
Depends what opportunities you have going forward really. You said it's your first proper job, sometimes you have to suck things up and get on with it without moaning to further your prospects. Many senior people at your organisation are likely to have started where you have. They will want to see hard work and commitment during the early stages to prove yourself. That's when the extra pay and benefits turn up.

Caporegime
i think tesco and many supermarkets dont pay overtime rates now its all just basic rate per hour.

hes being paid for the extra hours just at single time not time an a half etc

Soldato
I'm confused. You work 6 days a week. @8 hours a day that's probably in excess of 400 hours in two months and yet you worked 235?

Whatever, if I understand correctly you're getting paid for every hour you work, just not at an increased rate? Well there're many places where extra hours go unpaid. I'm not saying that's right, just that I don't think your situation is the most unfair I've ever seen. If you don't like it then get out.

Man of Honour
If you're getting paid (even your basic wage) for every hour you do then suck it up. If you're not getting paid for your extra hours then you are being exploited.

That's one of the joys of being hourly paid is that you should be getting paid for every hour you work - one of the problems of monthly paid structure, especially as you become more responsible for teams et.c.. you seldom do your contracted hours.

Soldato
Whatever, if I understand correctly you're getting paid for every hour you work, just not at an increased rate? Well there're many places where extra hours go unpaid. I'm not saying that's right, just that I don't think your situation is the most unfair I've ever seen. If you don't like it then get out.

Well that depends, he/she has clearly stated that it is hourly pay (as they get an extra 45p ph covering supervisor role). If it were salary based, then a few extra hours would be ok but I wouldn't expect hourly paid people to work for free at all.

edit: know that sounds kind of contradictory but I mean as a salaried employee you are generally expected/paid for an overall job rather than 'manning a station' for x amount of hours so to speak. (And by that I'm not implying hourly paid jobs are less skilled or hardworking (for example a Seamstress is hourly paid usually and they are skilled and hardworking)). Hope that makes more sense lol

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom