Possible issues at work

Soldato
You can opt back in to the working time directive at any time (note this is a 48hr week), and could then tell your employer that you don't want overtime or to work outside your contracted hours. In any case, whether opted in or out, unless your contract says so I don't see how they can change your job description one day per week to make you supervisor.

Man of Honour
Is the 48hr week that bad if you're getting paid for it?

I don't see the issue with it - monthly paid staff I can understand a bit of consternation over working longer hours, but meh, work is work sometimes you have to put longer days in.

Associate
As others have said - crap employer.
Overtime should always be mentioned in your contract as with other things.
By the way, 48 hours normal working hours per week? what is this China? omg we ain't a third world country...

Man of Honour
As others have said - crap employer.
Overtime should always be mentioned in your contract as with other things.
By the way, 48 hours normal working hours per week? what is this China? omg we ain't a third world country...

True - there is a lot to be said for working smarter and more flexibly, than just bum on seats in the office. You're not necessarily productive just because you're in the office for all hours of a day.

Man of Honour
True - there is a lot to be said for working smarter and more flexibly, than just bum on seats in the office. You're not necessarily productive just because you're in the office for all hours of a day.

Flexitime is one of the biggest reasons I stay at my current employer. Any hours I work over 37 is either overtime or time I can take off either as whole days or just short weeks.

Man of Honour
It'll be a while until the industry I work in (multi disciplinary engineering (heavy civils, to process engineering, and everything in between)) will be able to adopt that. I'm just happy with my package and realise that as a member of the senior leadership team I have to put that little extra bit of effort in.

But I do leave early on a Friday... ish.... sometimes.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

It is if you value your leisure time.

I certainly wouldn't want to work more than 40hrs a work on a consistent basis regardless of the rate of pay.

Caporegime

I don't see the issue with it - monthly paid staff I can understand a bit of consternation over working longer hours, but meh, work is work sometimes you have to put longer days in.

I would suggest that your experience in sometimes doing a long week differs quite severely from that of someone paid hourly and for whom a supervisory role sees a 45p increase in their hourly rate.

There's no doubt a lot of stuff that you put up with that you wouldn't if your overall compensation was significantly less. There's nothing wrong with that, of course, but it makes it difficult to understand the impact this might be having on the OP.

Man of Honour
My point is. If he's paid for it and signed the waiver then I don't see the problem. I don't care if YOU wouldn't work more than 40hrs some people don't mind it.

If he's not paid for it then yes of course it is an issue that needs to be addressed.

I agree that stepping up for a small increase is also not fair certainly if he hasn't been offered the training or skills to do the job.

I don't think I've ever worked less than 40hrs even when I was in the public sector but that's because I enjoy working (despite not being hourly paid). That doesn't mean to say that my perception or values are more correct than the OP I'm however just sharing an alternative opinion or point of view. However it has got me to where I am now so IMO worth it. :)

Everyone is different.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Personally I've always had way to many hobbies which is why in my last few years of work I went part time to 25hrs per week.

The only circumstance where I think I would work more than 40hrs is if my work were my hobby - probably my own business doing ebike builds or something. Although I've known lots of people try running thier hobby as a business and they rapidly fall out of love with it.

Associate

This is your first job, many people start off in a job that is not that great and does not give them what they want, but use this to tide you over whilst you are looking for another job.

Anyway, as you are always working you should be able to put some cash away as you are not able to spend it :D

Man of Honour
Personally I've always had way to many hobbies which is why in my last few years of work I went part time to 25hrs per week.

The only circumstance where I think I would work more than 40hrs is if my work were my hobby - probably my own business doing ebike builds or something. Although I've known lots of people try running thier hobby as a business and they rapidly fall out of love with it.

Working longer than average hours does not preclude the ability to do hobbies... you just have to learn to manage your time. However I do agree that life should be for living not working. Sometimes though, especially if you enjoy your work, you put a bit more effort in and maybe work a little longer/harder than you would for an average job that you're not bothered about.

Soldato
I work 35/hrs a week and I aim to never go over it, not because I don't enjoy what I do bit because I simply value my time out of work too much. I can't imagine ever working 60 hour weeks and having little time to my self. I've done some 60+ hrs weeks and I did not enjoy it.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

. Sometimes though, especially if you enjoy your work, you put a bit more effort in and maybe work a little longer/harder than you would for an average job that you're not bothered about.

I agree with that. And at times in my career I've certainly put in the occasional long days/weeks, especially if it's a project I've been leading on.

Consistent long days/weeks means someone isn't doing their job properly though. Either the employee isn't productive enough or management have resourced ineffectively.

Back
Top Bottom