Rift £200 off

Associate
How big a room do you need to use one of these? Can you sit at a desk and play on it or do you need to be standing?

Entirely depends on what game you're playing. If you're playing something like a racing sim or Elite, or a platformer like Luckys Tale, then you can just sit down. Play something like Rec Room, then you want enough space that you can stand and turn around while waving your arms about without hitting anything, though extra space will let you dodge out of the way of things in game.

Associate
I've managed to resist the Vive and Rift in previous sales but this time I'm taking the plunge. Very excited although slightly dismayed that the Asus P8Z68-V Pro Asmedia ports are incompatible.

Any PCIe adapter cards recommended? I can't see the Inateck one that is recommended by Oculus.

Associate
I've managed to resist the Vive and Rift in previous sales but this time I'm taking the plunge. Very excited although slightly dismayed that the Asus P8Z68-V Pro Asmedia ports are incompatible.

Any PCIe adapter cards recommended? I can't see the Inateck one that is recommended by Oculus.

Oculus Support recommends an expansion card that uses the Fresco Logic FL1100EX chipset. I bought the Inateck one from the Rainforest.

Associate
Entirely depends on what game you're playing. If you're playing something like a racing sim or Elite, or a platformer like Luckys Tale, then you can just sit down. Play something like Rec Room, then you want enough space that you can stand and turn around while waving your arms about without hitting anything, though extra space will let you dodge out of the way of things in game.
Thanks for the info. Have to give it a miss then as there's not much space in my computer room!

Soldato
Thanks for the info. Have to give it a miss then as there's not much space in my computer room!

Can you stand up and put your arms out and twirl around without hitting anything?

If so you have enough room for VR. Even if you can move one or two steps in any direction, that will get you out of most situations.

Associate
Guys, regarding usb ports, had a look through my motherboard manual and I'm guessing I'll be fine if I stick with my USB 3.0 ports as they come off the z170 chipset rather than added on with an ASMEDIA chip like my USB 3.1 ports?
The thing to look out for is the number of actual controllers you have taking care of those ports. With the 5xIntel ports for example, any idea if they're linked to just a single or multiple controllers? If it's multiple, you should be fine with those ports, but if it's a single controller then you might have problems.

For example, I have a 4 port Inateck card, but due to it only having a single USB controller on it, it can't handle more than 2 Rift sensors due to the bandwidth from those devices. Fortunately that's all I needed as my MB ports took care of the rest.

Associate
Wow...just wow, no idea how long the novelty will last for but jaw droppingly amazing so far

Anyone recommend any scary walk the plank type things?

Associate
Wow...just wow, no idea how long the novelty will last for but jaw droppingly amazing so far

For me, I live vicariously through demoing my vive to friends and family. Watching their first reactions to being in VR is priceless, it's like a drug. I'm almost forcing people to come round and try it :)

Soldato
For me, I live vicariously through demoing my vive to friends and family. Watching their first reactions to being in VR is priceless, it's like a drug. I'm almost forcing people to come round and try it :)

I can see the neighbourhood watch signs now, beware VR pushers operating in this area. :p

Back
Top Bottom