Vidahost price has more than doubled - Time to move?

Commissario
I've just had notification from Vidahost that my package with them will more than double come the next invoice. Luckily I've only recently renewed so I have nearly two years to find an alternative. I've also just heard Godaddy linked to Vida so it really is time to make a move. Shame really.

I've got one main domain and eleven others hosted, most of which are just a single page or two but the main site is Wordpress with nearly 400 posts over six years. I've got about a Gb of data (this will only increase) and am currently using around 20Gb per month bandwidth.

How easy is it to move something like this and are there any recomendations of where to go?

Dup

Dup

Soldato
It looks like Krystal are favoured as an alternative at the moment.

The migration should be relatively simple if it's all cPanel. Email migration is the hardest part. So if you're utilising email on your hosting you might want to take extra care and backups where necessary.

Soldato
Had the same notification and price increase, doubled since the last one. mine expires in 10 months time.

Krystal looks good for what's on offer and their packages relate to Vidahost pre-price hike, but they only allow 10 sites instead of the 16 listed and the package above that is about the same as the Vida price hike, so you probably woudn't save much moving to them.

They offer a "reseller" package which would tick all the boxes, just 3 people sharing a low usage shared server (20gb storage in total. I might need 8gb for mine but not sure yet, bandwidth not an issue) would work out at £60 a year each with all the features you had on Vidahost (cpanel), but that would have to be one user signing up and others chipping in (isn't this how Vidahost first started?) so not sure if this suggestion is suitable for the forums, feel free to delete this if it isn't.

Soldato
Another looking to move.

Krystal seem to be out for me as only 1gb storage on the base level package.
My main account uses just over that (2 domains) and there are also other accounts for my father's business and some other stuff, all on the base level. I'm sure I could probably setup a reseller somewhere, but that's far too much of a pain in the neck when I only need the odd access for management & don't pay the bill....
Don't know off the top of my head how much these use in storage, but it'll be quite a lump too.....

EUKHost has been recommended elsewhere, but I'm interested to see what others think.

I'm marginally tempted to just stuff everything on my VPS (I use this for serving builds etc. for the open-source project I run), but the whole point of paying a webhost is for support and keeping things like full mailsevers secure and spam-free......

Soldato
yep, i'll be moving too but not sure where.

Few domains hosted with them but no real content as I've just never got around too really using it. All typical html, php stuff.

Ideally looking for somewhere that's going to support python as well as I would like to get more involved with Django development and be able to play around.

Sgarrista
Commissario
It depends what your budget is.

Over the last 3 years I have moved all my hosting and all my customers to Nimbus Hosting.

They've never missed a step, UK based, the staff are all in tune and if you ring up you know it will be someone who can actually look into things properly.

Its a premium host with a premium price tag, but with hosting, very often you get what you pay for and has cut down my involvement in managing the servers with my customers sites on to next to zero as Nimbus handle it all.

Soldato
Just got the email myself :(.

O well sites been getting slower and slower for the past year or so add in a price increase and I'm looking for new options.

Shame was a good host.

Krystal look quite good. Going to be interesting moving from their panel to cpanel though.

Last edited:
Associate
I was with TsoHost and moved to Mechanic Web (EU datacentre) for personal stuff, it has been good

For more critical stuff I have migrated some to Krystal - relatively! painless, fast hosting, good support but the documentation is shocking!! (in some parts due to the fact they are using Litespeed now)
The only real gotcha is 1 version of PHP across all domains - may/may not be an issue

Nethosted also seem good but the plans are nuts 1 site or unlimited with nothing in between

Trying to find the balance of speed/reliability/support/price (should that be value :) ) is a mare

Caporegime
In as well.

I've looked at Krystal too.

Though my sites are just static so could use AWS. Need to look at Krystal's pricing and support etc further.

Really disappointed just how downhill Vidahost have gone since being taken over by HEG. Support has been getting slowler, hosting downtime has been on the up.

Permabanned
Exactly! Nightmare trying to find something that ticks all the boxes.

I'm shocked OCUK hasn't moved into the hosting business, they certainly have the customer base for it.

Easy to set up as well as long as the bandwidth is there.
I've a relatively well specced cPanel server sitting very idle as it's only running a few websites for friends.. If you've got relatively low resource-intensive websites, don't require huge amounts of space and wont need support then I'll host you for free :)

http://stats.pingdom.com/0dh9xj0wxmz8/2032209/history

Not like @davido_labido storing all his pr0n on my server with his many GB's of usage :p

Feel free to trust me if anybody is interested. No catch.

Messaged you :)

Man of Honour
I've just had notification from Vidahost that my package with them will more than double come the next invoice. Luckily I've only recently renewed so I have nearly two years to find an alternative. I've also just heard Godaddy linked to Vida so it really is time to make a move. Shame really.

I've got one main domain and eleven others hosted, most of which are just a single page or two but the main site is Wordpress with nearly 400 posts over six years. I've got about a Gb of data (this will only increase) and am currently using around 20Gb per month bandwidth.

How easy is it to move something like this and are there any recomendations of where to go?

;) Guess who bought back the lovely place he once sold and is now making it better than it ever was?

Soldato
Hey,

So I am in the same boat as others in that my vidahost subscription is about to go through the roof and for my usage it doesn't make sense to pay that much.

I currently have 6 domains;
1) Domain, Email hosted by Vidahost, the site is hosted on blogger.
2) Domain, Basic Wordpress site hosted by Vida, email is hosted through gmail (before they closed down the free apps for business deal)
3) Domain, Basic Wordpress site hosted by Vida, email hosted by Vida.
4) Domain, email hosted by gmail.
5) Domain, just acts as a redirect to another website.
6) Basic Wordpress site hosted by Vida, email hosted by Vida.

Now, would I be best off moving this to another a provider, is this a simple process? Or can I actually host this myself?

Thanks,

Man of Honour
Hey,

Now, would I be best off moving this to another a provider, is this a simple process? Or can I actually host this myself?

Thanks,

It all depends :-

How much is your time worth
How much LAMP knowledge do you have
How much time are you prepared to put in to keeping yourself live, patched, secure and current
How much spare time do you have to devote to another hobby?
How much does your email delivery and SEO matter?

My advice is simple, do some research, have a few conversations and find somewhere you're happy with, or, rent yourself an AWS instance and host it all yourself.

Soldato
Thanks buddy, will do some research. If I did want to move to another a provider, how easy is that to do in my situation with having various domains and them being used for various reasons.

Man of Honour
Thanks buddy, will do some research. If I did want to move to another a provider, how easy is that to do in my situation with having various domains and them being used for various reasons.
All depends on your level of skill,

On a scale of 1-10, with 1 being Hello World, and 10 being a VCP, I'd put it around a 3.

Back
Top Bottom