• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Poll: ** The AMD VEGA Thread **

On or off the hype train?

• (off) Train has derailed

Votes: 207 39.2%
  • (on) Overcrowding, standing room only

Votes: 100 18.9%
  • (never ever got on) Chinese escalator

Votes: 221 41.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
While for many here it appears to be very disappointing, I myself am actually looking to purchase a Ryzen system and new widescreen monitor. The (up to) 300 pounds/euro discount is looking appealing.

Caporegime
If the water cooled card was £499 I would be pre-ordering and signing AMD's praises right now instead of feeling let down and slating them. Price makes a huge difference to whatever a card is perceived successful or not imo.

Looks like their are gonna be aftermarket Vega64 cards, and they might be £550ish. Would that not be a good option for you?

Permabanned
No Thanks! I would sooner give up PC gaming! :D I do agree AMD have been very strange with this Vega release and I am totally P'ed off that I am still using a R9 290 even though it has done me very well I have been still to this day enjoying latest releases.

But I still stand by AMD and there approach to PC gaming and Open Source this is the biggest reason I wont support Nvidia with my cash.

I liked how Nvidia have now opened up GameWorks completely now remains to be seen what that does for AMD if they can edit the code etc that is one Good move but Not supporting Adaptive-sync the locking down of other stuff like PhysX ages ago when a user was also using an AMD card + Nvidia was also a joke!
They is just so much wrong with Nvidia for me to give them my money! So i'll leave it has this otherwise this thread with end up with GPU war posts.
So please dont replay to this post with anything why Nvidia is the best! because I dont care in a nice way :D

Based on this I can't see Navi being on time in 2018 if it's taking them this long to get Vega out the door.

Tbf that in itself is great news :cool:

It is but I'm not sure if it's enough for me to wait, AMD's really screwed the pooch with this one, December last year I was umming and arring about whether to get an Nvidia card rather than wait, The claim that we'd see Vega in the first half of 2017 persuaded me to wait. That was a lie and they only made that date via a technicality, so for gaming Vega it went to the end of July at Siggraph and now it's September. The thing is I'm not that happy about paying Nvidia money for a high-end 10 series gpu so late in it's shelf life so now I'm unsure what to do. The only thing I know for sure is I won't go waiting on AMD again.

Soldato
I disagree. If they got pricing right, it would have easily been a success. Even if Nvidia dropped the price people who waited would have still been happy that AMD improved price for performance for everyone. Freesync owners would be very happy. Die hard fans like shankly would be happy, not disappointed, talking about die hard fans, AMD even managed to scare some of them away as I have not seen flopper in a long time. Lol :D

If the water cooled card was £499 I would be pre-ordering and signing AMD's praises right now instead of feeling let down and slating them. Price makes a huge difference to whether a card is perceived successful or not imo.

Don't always agree with what you say, but you got this one spot on :)
Problem is free sync owners and shankly (ok kaap will buy one for benchmarking) won't account for sufficient sales.

Freesync owners can and will bite the bullet and upgrade to nvidia unless of course they are willing to 'continue' to accept sub par performance.

Whilst vega may improve over time it will be judged on launch day performance and with Volta so close its soon going to be the equivalent of Polaris at a Pascal party.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
OP
Looks like their are gonna be aftermarket Vega64 cards, and they might be £550ish. Would that not be a good option for you?
No not really no. Remember I had a 1070 and 1080 over the past year. My 1080 I purchased and sold for £375. One of the reasons I sold the 1080 was because it was quite a bit noisier than my 1070 was. So now why would I get a card that will be just as noisy if not more than my 1080 for a lot more money? I have nothing I am dying to play that needs the power, played everything. I just wanted some new tech to play with. But all the new tech Vega is brining is a bit pointless to own right now as it cannot even beat easily old Pascal tech which has been around for 12+ months.

I wanted the liquid cooled card which would keep noise down, but they are asking way too much for it. Would consider Vega 56, but by the time after market version of that comes out, I might as well just wait and buy Volta which will be a lot less noisier and be new tech worth owning.

Problem is free sync owners and shankly (ok kaap will buy one for benchmarking) won't account for sufficient sales.

Freesync owners can and will bite the bullet and upgrade to nvidia unless of course they are willing to 'continue' to accept sub par performance.

Whilst vega may improve over time it will be judged on launch day performance and with Volta so close its soon going to be the equivalent of Polaris at a Pascal party.

It may not account for sufficient sales, but now AMD are now upsetting their fans and helping convert people who are really going out of their way to to give them a chance over to nvidia. A lot of people will see this now and thing sod this and go lock themselves into g-sync and AMD won't be able to get to them for a long long time.

Caporegime
Well I bought a gysnc monitor a few months ago so now I'm green team for the foreseeable future.

The only good thing I see about Vega is that it might lower the 1080ti prices down 100 bucks... Hopefully. As that was what I have my eyes on for the future.

All these crazy discount voucher bundles seem very appealing to a complete new builder, I suspect most of the money will be recouped from those avenues.

Soldato
It might be worth noting that due to the power consumption/compute performance these cards (excluding the nano) are basically dead to miners. So while they may use more juice than the current AMD GPUs you will actually be able to buy them lol.

Caporegime
While for many here it appears to be very disappointing, I myself am actually looking to purchase a Ryzen system and new widescreen monitor. The (up to) 300 pounds/euro discount is looking appealing.

Depends how it plays out. Potentially if executed right the discount stuff I think is excellent. But it's AMD. So I have no faith it'll be a smooth thing.

Caporegime
No not really no. Remember I had a 1070 and 1080 over the past year. My 1080 I purchased and sold for £375. One of the reasons I sold the 1080 was because it was quite a bit noisier than my 1070 was. So now why would I get a card that will be just as noisy if not more than my 1080 for a lot more money? I have nothing I am dying to play that needs the power, played everything. I just wanted some new tech to play with. But all the new tech Vega is brining is a bit pointless to own right now as it cannot even beat easily old Pascal tech which has been around for 12+ months.

Fair enough man. If you think the 1080 was noisy then wait til Vega64 hits with the exact same coolers :D

I still quite like the look of these cards though, and am looking forward to the benchies. With a little luck they'll have nice and strong future API performance :cool:

And of course the FineWine tech inside ;)

Caporegime
Surely most of us expected 1080 performance at 1080 prices? I don't see the price as a good or bad thing personally and it gives those who own Freesync screens an option to up the details. I don't feel AMD have done a bad thing here but of course it could be better (cheaper and less power hungry).

In other news, GoT was excellent :D

Soldato
Fair enough man. If you think the 1080 was noisy then wait til Vega64 hits with the exact same coolers :D

I actually think that the RX cooler on a 210w VEGA stands a good chance of still doing better than the 1080 reference cooler (considering how much better the RX cooler is on the 480 than the FE cooler is on the 1080).

Associate
Yeah it's a weird launch. Let's see what happens with reviews and real world pricing/ availability.

I'm wondering what would happen if Nvidia were to lower the price of the 1080 slightly and introduce Freesync support. Not sure about the technicalities of that, but I see the only reason you would buy Vega is Freesync support and price (the former is why I would consider AMD over Nvidia).

Soldato
Surely most of us expected 1080 performance at 1080 prices?
Isn't that what we are getting?

The reference Vega 56 and 64 are priced at $400 and $500 respectively, so once you factor rip off Britain into it thats roughly £400 and £500. Looking on OCUK store the 1070 starts at £399 and the 1080 starts at £489* and those are the cards they are matched against according to TPU, so the price/performance looks pretty even.

*I'm not counting the 1080 with the no frills cooler as I own one and while it's great for water cooling I don't consider it a functional card out of the box.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom