• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Poll: ** The AMD VEGA Thread **

On or off the hype train?

• (off) Train has derailed

Votes: 207 39.2%
  • (on) Overcrowding, standing room only

Votes: 100 18.9%
  • (never ever got on) Chinese escalator

Votes: 221 41.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
OP
Fair enough man. If you think the 1080 was noisy then wait til Vega64 hits with the exact same coolers :D

I still quite like the look of these cards though, and am looking forward to the benchies. With a little luck they'll have nice and strong future API performance :cool:

And of course the FineWine tech inside ;)
FineWine tech is definitely one of the big plus's. Never know, if I manage to get a Vega on the cheap side in the future, might end up with one still. I am happy that it is finally nearly out, just disappointed with what it is bringing to the table.

I would not say the 1080 was so noisy I couldn't take it or anything as it was no louder than my r9 290 I had before, but I had the 1070 for over 6 months and got spoilt with the acoustics of that. Then 1080 seemed very noisy, that is all. My current 7970 blower fan is noisier than the 1080 was if I ever play a game that makes it run at 100%. That is why when I do game currently, which is hardly at all as it is summer, I play old games, and lock it to 60fps and game without hearing the fans ramp up :p

Will keep an eye out for a sanely priced Fury I think to keep me going until Volta is out as this 7970 does not even support Freesync.

Surely most of us expected 1080 performance at 1080 prices? I don't see the price as a good or bad thing personally and it gives those who own Freesync screens an option to up the details. I don't feel AMD have done a bad thing here but of course it could be better (cheaper and less power hungry).

In other news, GoT was excellent :D

I expected better performance or lower price. I have Freesync and I do not fancy paying the prices they are asking for as they are way too late to the game and power hungry to demand such price. Had they released Vega at the start of year, pricing would have been decent. But not in Q3 2017 imo.

I will be waiting for all 10 episodes of GoT to come out like I usually do and binge watch it over the weekend with my partner :D

Caporegime
Isn't that what we are getting?

The reference Vega 56 and 64 are priced at $400 and $500 respectively, so once you factor rip off Britain into it thats roughly £400 and £500. Looking on OCUK store the 1070 starts at £399 and the 1080 starts at £489* and those are the cards they are matched against according to TPU, so the price/performance looks pretty even.

*I'm not counting the 1080 with the no frills cooler as I own one and while it's great for water cooling I don't consider it a functional card out of the box.
It looks to be 1080 performance and 1080 prices. I expect price for price on custom cards also. I am not sure what people were expecting in truth and yer, power efficiency could be better but nobody will ever notice the extra leccy use. I don't see that AMD have done bad (except that stupid marketing vid with "Poor Volta") and I know from owning a 1080 that it is capable of playing 4K without issue. The way to look at it is screen ownage and what upgrade on GPU options are available. Freesync means there is now 570/80/Vega 64/Vega 56 and that is a good thing.

Soldato
Amazed people are happy to pay the same price for performance they could have had 15 months a go along with potentially double the 1080s power draw. GG AMD.

It could be said that a big plus is access to the far cheaper freesync option. Gsync is prohibitively expensive.

Caporegime
I expected better performance or lower price. I have Freesync and I do not fancy paying the prices they are asking for as they are way too late to the game and power hungry to demand such price. Had they released Vega at the start of year, pricing would have been decent. But not in Q3 2017 imo.

I will be waiting for all 10 episodes of GoT to come out like I usually do and binge watch it over the weekend with my partner :D
I understand where you are coming from and it is hard to not get sucked into hype but performance is where I was expecting and price is a little more than I hoped but HBM2 isn't cheap, so not surprised to see those prices in truth. Ohhh and if you are waiting for all 10 episodes of GoT, you will have a long wait, as this season there is only 7 episodes :D

Permabanned
The good news for people only looking to buy now and in the near future is Fresync and the fact that Vega will have support and driver improvements for years to come. Whereas 1070/80 will likely get no more driver improvements. So if buying now, Vega may even make more sense, but if you have been waiting for over a year for Vega, it is a major let down.

Soon with Volta coming and Vega will be a joke.

Who is now skipping Vega and waiting for Navi? :D

I can't see Navi being in 2018 if it's taking RTG this long to get RX Vega out the door, That said I'm sure they'll get a Frontier replacement with everything gaming disabled out soon after.

Soldato
Isn't a Fury X already quite close to a GTX1070?
Good thing it didn't have 8GB VRAM too as it would look even worse for Vega.

As I mentioned a while back this looks worse than the 2900XT launch,as it at least competed with the 8800GTS 640MB,and if Vega 64 can't at least match or beat the aftermarket GTX1080 cards it will be the fourth fastest card on the market technically.

It all seems really weird especially with the large increases in clockspeed over Fiji. Hopefully someone will compare Fiji and Vega clock for clock when it's released.

Permabanned
Eeeee waiting to see pricing of preorders in uk... Them bundles are some joke??? I want to buy JUST CARD dont need monitor and have RYZEN alrd so aqua bundle looks horroble depending on price.

Thing is i got option of getting pascal titan with block 7 month old for 750 quid.... If its 699 gbp thats well......

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
OP
I understand where you are coming from and it is hard to not get sucked into hype but performance is where I was expecting and price is a little more than I hoped but HBM2 isn't cheap, so not surprised to see those prices in truth. Ohhh and if you are waiting for all 10 episodes of GoT, you will have a long wait, as this season there is only 7 episodes :D
What... only 7. What the hell :(

Just had a look, the final season next year will also be 7 it seems. Better they keep the quality up than have filler episodes I suppose.

Yeah, I am disappointed with performance as I expected better from Vega. All that extra tech over Fury X and hardly any improvement. Feel as they missed the performance they would at least price it better. Seems HBM is screwing them again, Kaapstad will be happy.

Also all this talk of big vega and small vega over the past year, so far we are getting what seems like big vega, so what is there a smaller die based on Vega coming out? Maybe they looked at Vega performance and thought lets scrap small Vega.

I can't see Navi being in 2018 if it's taking RTG this long to get RX Vega out the door, That said I'm sure they'll get a Frontier replacement with everything gaming disabled out soon after.
So what are you going to do nashathedog? Buy late to the game power hungry Vega or soon to replaced Pascal? :p

HeX

HeX

Soldato

Depends what Navi is. If Navi turns out to be 'glued together' die shrunk Vega's using the infinity fabric to scale GPU performance as they have with Ryzen, then it could be a fairly rapid development cycle. If Navi is something entirely different then yeah, 2018 isn't looking likely.

Associate
I look at it this way:
Its a bit faster than the 1080 (10% from what I heard, the 1080 ti is ~35% faster than the 1080)
The 1080 and 1080 ti are specified gaming cards, the Vega is more of an all-rounder chip.
The super high grade of the card with liquid cooling will/may cost $599, the same as a new 1080
It is significant faster than Fury X or any previous AMD models

AMD drivers are very good with Relive now and all that. Dunno about Nvidia, but the drivers here at work look like the old AMD catalyst driver.
That doesn't mean I love the AMD driver, it has issues like for me to start with the system. It is very annoying if you play a game, want to record something and hey the system tray did not start. So always check before you start the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom