• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Poll: ** The AMD VEGA Thread **

On or off the hype train?

• (off) Train has derailed

Votes: 207 39.2%
  • (on) Overcrowding, standing room only

Votes: 100 18.9%
  • (never ever got on) Chinese escalator

Votes: 221 41.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
There has to be a few people with a gaming room who just have the best of both. Overall the price of a pc and console isnt large to anyone with a good income, doesnt matter if its actually needed just nice to have isnt it :D This forum has to have people with both, I'd be amazed if theres nobody with all the gear.
My first pc, a lowly 486sx-25mhz cost thousands btw, 14" CRT think it was, even with not great prices everybody is lucky right now to have these 'supercomputers' like Raja called them, the mainstream is making hardware cheaper for home pc

Sterling should/could be 1.7 to the dollar if they had kept rates well above 1%. Theres nothing fantastical about that, it was true in 2014 and the performance fits these prices but it wont happen now
56- £330
64- £440
64 premium - £550
This forum is skewed in favour of high earners tho. In other words, people on OcUK earn more than the average. A lot of posters in this sub-forum are in the top 20% :o

Your average PC gamer doesn't have high-end hardware, and current prices will/are putting people off PC gaming.

Associate
It's 210W I believe. Don't worry about the 650W recommendation, those are always nonsense. They have to way over state needed PSU so that the card will work on those awful Chinese PSUs you can get for 20 quid that are made of tinfoil and glue, the ones that can't put out half their rated power without exploding.

A good quality 450W would probably run a Vega 56 just fine, provided you aren't overclocking. I've run a Radeon Pro Duo (375W TDP) from a quality 650W PSU with no bother at all.

tinfoil and glue :)

Last edited:
Soldato
It's 210W I believe. Don't worry about the 650W recommendation, those are always nonsense. They have to way over state needed PSU so that the card will work on those awful Chinese PSUs you can get for 20 quid that are made of tinfoil and glue, the ones that can't put out half their rated power without exploding.

A good quality 450W would probably run a Vega 56 just fine, provided you aren't overclocking. I've run a Radeon Pro Duo (375W TDP) from a quality 650W PSU with no bother at all.

My brother runs a 6990 with OC on a 750w corsair power supply, with OC it must be pulling over 450w just for the gpu at max.

ljt

ljt

Soldato
This forum is skewed in favour of high earners tho. In other words, people on OcUK earn more than the average. A lot of posters in this sub-forum are in the top 20% :o

Your average PC gamer doesn't have high-end hardware, and current prices will/are putting people off PC gaming.

Totally agree there. I think that point is lost on a lot of posters here - they expect we're all on brilliant wages and can justify spending thousands on pc's just to play video games.

Just because they can easily absorb significant price rises of components (i.e. RAM prices are extortionate, as are GPU's) doesn't mean we all can, especially when all we're buying them for is to make games prettier and run higher fps.

For the majority of the population who game there has to be a line drawn somewhere before they go enough is enough, and the higher prices keep going, the more and more will just resort to console and leave PC gaming as a very niche market

Caporegime
For the majority of the population who game there has to be a line drawn somewhere before they go enough is enough, and the higher prices keep going, the more and more will just resort to console and leave PC gaming as a very niche market
And this in turn means developers will not be inclined to spend as much time optimising for PC.

In other words, higher prices are bad for everyone, even those who can afford them.

Associate
To continue off topic, PC gaming has always been more expensive up front than consoles. The difference is that where consoles have become cheaper (albeit with expensive peripherals/subscription based multiplayer) PC hardware has become more expensive in the mid to high-end tiers.

Soldato
To continue off topic, PC gaming has always been more expensive up front than consoles. The difference is that where consoles have become cheaper (albeit with expensive peripherals/subscription based multiplayer) PC hardware has become more expensive in the mid to high-end tiers.
I could get down with consoles more if they could target that dam 60FPS more. Some games are doing it like battlefield and call of duty etc and don't look that bad on consoles but other games like frigging destiny is going to be 30FPS and tbh i loved destiny but could not get down and stick at it because of the 30FPS bull. In my eyes 30FPS should not be a target but more of a minimum on consoles. Don't let gets go down below 30FPS rather than hey target 30FPS and let it dip below in scenes where a lot is happening. So while destiny 2 is getting abit of hate because a lot feel its more of an expansion rather than another destiny game i can't wait to try it on PC to get slightly better visuals and much smoother gameplay. And im cool they are preventing injecting into their game which will prevent things like rivatuner from working. Makes things harder for cheaters. As long as they have some good anti cheat in place too.

Anyways yea console need to move away from 30FPS then things would be much sweeter on consoles.

Soldato
Console games are still pretty far from PC games in terms of quality of graphics and also in terms of quality of inputs. Better selection of games, maybe. They're far behind PC in terms of modding games. So far behind that it's not even vaguely close to being within shouting distance of being comparable.

I'm currently playing Fallout 4 with 118 mods installed using about 12GB. That's impossible with a console despite the fact that Fallout 4 is one of the 2 games that can be modded on consoles. Also, Nexus Mods is so vastly better than Bethesda for modding that it's like a pub kickabout team playing in the World Cup. Besides, Bethesda is dedicated to paid mods so they can profit from other people's work. Sooner or later, they'll succeed in that. With a better graphics card I'd be installing graphics mods as well and the game would look far better than it could on a console. As it is, even with an archaic graphics card I get a better framerate than a console for the same graphics.

Prior to Fallout 4, I had no idea how extensive modding games is on PCs and how much difference it can make. But it is and it does. Also, no mouse and keyboard. I have an Xbox controller for my PC. It's far less comfortable, far less precise and far less versatile. It's better only for racing games because it makes analogue steering possible and anyone who cares much about racing games would probably be using a wheel for steering anyway.

Modern consoles are adequate in terms of graphics, though, and the hardware is certainly a lot cheaper. If it wasn't for the lack of mouse and keyboard and almost total lack of modding, I'd be inclined to get one instead of a new gaming PC when my next upgrade cycle came round. Maybe at some point in the future, but not right now.

I have quite a few mods installed with FO4,but seriously Bethesda needs to take the Creation Engine outside and shoot it. Its based on the ancient Gamebryo engine from the 1990s,and its massively limited by single core performance and memory bandwidth. It was bad enough in Skyrim which I modded too.

The only real upgrade for me would be a Core i7 7700K or Core i7 7700 with overclocked RAM just because of the crap engine,as I can hit under 30FPS minimums in large settlements with a GTX1080,but I am not going to pay £280 to £320 quid for a 4C/8T CPU,when my Xeon E3 1230 V2/Core i7 3770 was selling for around £170 to £180. Basically its pathetic that a late 2015 game has some poor core balancing - I see mostly one maybe two cores being pushed the most.

By comparison CDPR uses a much more up to date engine in The Witcher 3 which can actually scale to more cores,and if Bethesda bothered to actually use a modern engine I doubt I would be looking to upgrade the CPU.

This is the main issue with PC games,a lot of devs are penny pinching on optimisations,as consoles are considered the main platform for them and pushing it to PC gamers to buy more expensive hardware to compensate.

This has happened with so many games.

At least with Crysis the graphics were amazing as was the interactivity of the environments. Nowadays we seem to be spending more money on games which are technically rather meh in many ways.

This is why consoles are catching up - devs have to optimise better for them as they are not as powerful,and as a result the PC versions seem to use brute force to do anything by comparison.

This forum is skewed in favour of high earners tho who are interested in building computers. In other words, people on OcUK earn more than the average. A lot of posters in this sub-forum are in the top 20% :o

FTFY. I know some people who could easily buy a Titan Xp equivalent each year and probably buy a new PC every year too.

However they don't since they either prefer the convenience of a console,don't really want a desktop or don't see the point of spending like £500 on a graphics card to run the odd game each year.

But OTH they are quite happy to spend on other hobbies though.

Last edited:

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
OP
Yeah, nothing special. But at least it will be priced much better than the 64 and liquid edition and will give Freesync users an upgrade path.

It just sucks that AMD are giving us what has been available for 16 months by the time Vega 56 comes out for the same price. Not to mention it is not as power efficient. Being honest with one's self, that is just so disappointing. They should have at least tried to improve price for performance :(

Associate
Yeah, nothing special. But at least it will be priced much better than the 64 and liquid edition and will give Freesync users an upgrade path.

It just sucks that AMD are giving us what has been available for 16 months by the time Vega 56 comes out for the same price. Not to mention it is not as power efficient. Being honest with one's self, that is just so disappointing. They should have at least tried to improve price for performance :(

Once Volta comes out and NVIDIA forgets about Pascal then both the Vega 56 and 64 will leave the 1070 and 1080 in the dust and the 64 may even come close to the 1080ti but sadly all these cards will become irrelevant when it actually happens. I am still miffed that a 290X is performing much better than my 970 in current games which is why I really wanted to go AMD this time around but not at these crazy prices

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
OP
Once Volta comes out and NVIDIA forgets about Pascal then both the Vega 56 and 64 will leave the 1070 and 1080 in the dust and the 64 may even come close to the 1080ti but sadly all these cards will become irrelevant when it actually happens. I am still miffed that a 290X is performing much better than my 970 in current games which is why I really wanted to go AMD this time around but not at these crazy prices
Yeah. AMD are just making it hard to support them with their price for performance. Had Vega come out 12 months ago, I would have no complaints.

In all honesty I would rather AMD get my money as they need it a lot more than Nvidia. They need money and market share. I want to see them being able to compete with each other so we can get better products and better prices. But AMD are asking to much this time and there is a good chance after seeing reviews and prices on Monday I will skip Vega and wait for Volta :(

Caporegime
I am still miffed that a 290X is performing much better than my 970 in current games which is why I really wanted to go AMD this time around but not at these crazy prices

Don't forget AMD have a driver cheat to override the levels of tessellation and games are supporting it more and more now, it's not necessary NVidia's fault that they render games how the games ask rather than at a reduced level to compensate for hardware deficiencies.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
OP
Don't forget AMD have a driver cheat to override the levels of tessellation and games are supporting it more and more now, it's not necessary NVidia's fault that they rendering games how they are supposed to which happens to hurt them more.
You see no visual difference and that is all that matters.

Soldato
Don't forget AMD have a driver cheat to override the levels of tessellation and games are supporting it more and more now, it's not necessary NVidia's fault that they render games how the games ask rather than at a reduced level to compensate for hardware deficiencies.

Yeah, being able to tessellate to levels far beyond providing any visual benefit is totally a plus for nVidia - all games should have 512x tessellation so every game performs like ass on all cards... Or limit it to 16x where both companies perform well and you're still above any real visual benefit.

Associate
Yeah, being able to tessellate to levels far beyond providing any visual benefit is totally a plus for nVidia - all games should have 512x tessellation so every game performs like ass on all cards... Or limit it to 16x where both companies perform well and you're still above any real visual benefit.
They could do it Crysis 2 way
To sum things up if you're too lazy to read it. Crysis 2's use of tessellation is extraordinarily wasteful. So much so that the most heavily tessellated objects are planks of wood, and a jersey barrier..... not exactly the kind of object that call for tessellation. This is all topped off by the fact that you have tessellated water flowing under the levels that you can't see or access but your GPU is still using up resources to render.
But Vega seems to fix AMDs tesselation performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom