Ram pricing

Associate
I would really like 64gb if i upgrade next year for my DAW/music work so i am really hoping 64gb kits come down by then. At the moment they are just lol money. Even a good deal is ~£600!!

Wish i had bought some a few years ago when it was real cheap :(

Its expensive for everything these days. The price bands on all sorts have shifted upwards. Even taking the £/$ rate into account things have shot up.

Back in August 2013 at release I got a i7-4770K for £240 and Maximus VI hero for £166. Now its £300 for an i5-8600K (£430 for an i7-8700K!) and £260 for a Maximus X hero. RAM and SSD prices have pretty much doubled in a year and you've then got almost no speed increase in the mid-range for GPUs. Even hard drives haven't really dropped from the flooding years ago.

Its so expensive to build a PC now.

Associate
I agree ram prices are crazy and I feel sorry for anyone who needs to build a new PC now. April 2016 I bought some Kingston fury black 32GB (2x16GB) 2400MHz for £109.99, same kit now is £329.99 :eek:

Also at the time when I bought the 32GB kit, I had a 16Gb kit of team group extreme 3733MHz. It cost me £160 and I sold it 3 months later for £80, at that time I really struggled to sell it. I should have kept it for a year and sold it for at least what I paid for it :D

Last edited:
Soldato
Memory pricing is constantly going up. Every single time we order the new buy price is higher, most of the time significantly. I purchased a 32Gb Kit of DDR3 1600Mhz(4 x 8Gb HyperX Blue) For about £50 but now it would cost me £260 :o

OcUK Staff
That's because they sell very well. We make sure only the best Samsung IC is on the sticks to the highest bin and this IC price keeps rising. We cant buy these sticks in massive bulk because the IC is in short supply and the binning is very stringent.

OcUK Staff
Memory prices increase every week, being happening for months and will continue going up throughout next year. I remember doing a 32Gb kit at £79.99, now the cheapest are £300+ and most are £350+ the days of cheap memory seem to be gone and unlikely to return. One can keep fingers crossed that maybe next Summer they will come back down to at least normal levels as in £50 for 8G, £100 for 16G and £200 for 32G would be a huge improvement on the current market pricing.

Soldato
To be honest guys I found an old invoice from 2008 4GB of G-Skill I paid 69 quid.

Relative terms if I purchased that four times now to make the 16GB I just bought I'd pay 276 quid?

So I don't really have too much issue with RAM pricing personally.

Soldato
And people thought DDR4 would get cheaper after its been around a while :).
Prices gone up since I bought some a few weeks ago but part of me thinks it's 'cause of black Friday coming :p. 1950X seems to have gone up £30 too.

Man of Honour
I've got no data points on DDR4 other than what the market is right now. It would be useful to know if DDR3/DDR4 have had a price parity since DDR4 was launched or has DDR4 always been more expensive than DDR3?

Haven't got stats to back this up but anecdotally I believe DDR4 dipped below DDR3 last year, it was under £34 for a 16GB DDR4 kit.

Associate
The prices have gone silly.
I had three memory bundles wishlisted so I'd remember which to pick from in a week or two. Went to check them few days later & they'd gone up in price & it wasn't due to the sale finishing either.

Checked price of 2*8DDR3 new online as I bought some a bit back (still unused) & they're worth more now than I paid for them new lol.
Even seen some used that were going for more.

EDIT: Just checked...

March last year bought 16gb DDR3 1600mhz Hyper-x fury red for £48.
Closest can see on here to that item costs £128.

Eek!
Not used mine, may have to find some fool...I mean bright spark locally to buy it from me ;)

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Back when the usual system memory was 256 MB or 512 MB? :o

Nah, by 2004 it wasn't unusual for a moderate enthusiast to have 1GB. Had a quick look and I bought a 1GB kit in 2003 (making total RAM 1.5GB if memory serves but I might be wrong); bearing in mind I've never been one to go to extremes with hardware.

Soldato
Supply and demand
Or more likely would be time for competition authorities to start looking into memory makers with magnifying glass in one hand and big club in other.

They have opted to slow down their capacity expansions and technology migrations so that they can keep next year’s prices at the same high level as during this year’s second half. Doing so will also help them to sustain a strong profit margin.
http://press.trendforce.com/press/20170920-2972.html

Back
Top Bottom