Road Cycling

Soldato
45mph tailwinds on the way home... last time this happened I took a few top 10s complete with panniers. Feel quite strong today too.

the only thing that other than ride to work day that has me strava-ing my commute

Soldato
XT is the offroad stuff equivalent of ultegra.

For comparison, xtr is Dura ace, slx is 105 and deore is tiagra.
Ahh ok, so XT perfectly suitable. Haven't seen any other current 6bolt shimano discs with other designations than XT mentioned...

You reckon? I’m a long way off needing new pads but was wondering about them. Who do you recommend instead? Who does anyone recommend?
I came from Shimano pads doing 5k+ miles on my first set, then two of my Uberbike pad sets have done less than 2k miles (one 1800 and the other 300). I'll be going back to Shimano, there's no point using cheap pads with my riding style and environment as they're lasting less than a rim brake pad.

Anybody here have experience with 'temporary' guards? Considering getting a bit more protection than my Ass Saver and these two seem to be the least **** options...

https://www.sigmasport.co.uk/item/Crud/Road-Racer-MK3-Mudguards/EMMC

https://www.athleteshop.co.uk/sks-raceblade-mudguard-pro-black
Try them and see, I tried the mk1's and gave up after a few months. Replaced with SKS Raceblade Long and they worked so well I transferred them between bikes. In between times I tried specific Giant branded guards (2 sets) for my Defy and although more expensive they where nowhere near as good as the RBL's. Bought RBL's for the other halfs bike too and I'd happily use them again if unable to fit fixed guards. They're noisy at times, require fettling and almost constant adjustment but they're cheap in comparison to much poorer branded guards providing a better fit, better coverage and requiring less fettling.

I'm proper selling them and will continue to do so to everyone who asks me about guards on road bikes. Yet they are still a poor compromise to proper fitted guards if you have the option/clearance for them! :cool:

ride it 30 metres (no more, no less) and they start hissing again
Don't forget you can buy the extra accessories set for £15 which increase your silent ride distance to approximately 35 meters.

Lethal' and are will be TTing up this in a couple of weeks.:D

http://veloviewer.com/segment/5537532
How cute, using it as a warm up for what I'm looking at? (~50 miles away from a holiday apartment we're renting in June) ;)

I actually went on a 'Jeep Safari' up most of that in Gran Canaria, the landscape is fantastic and really quiet roads with amazing little villages, but I'd be very wary of the idiots in Jeeps doing a Safari and their driving... :o

@Roady That Devils Staircase you've set a 9min goal for looks pretty brutal at the start, it's like Draycott Steel's little brother (that I only had time to descend and not climb last Monday), which is 725 feet elevation in 1.2 miles! :eek:
To be fair it's an old 'mountain' stretch of road I used to drive to avoid the main roads when traversing West->East of Mid-Wales.

It's one of the only stretches of road I've regularly driven and had to use 1st gear. Going up there in a work van with lots of heavy servers in the back we had to give up and take the main road... Just couldn't get up there with a wet road surface! :o

Soldato
Ludicrous tailwind on the way home. Elemnt said I averaged 18.2mph. Strava obviously says 17.9mph, the miserable *******.

I went out this evening on a circular route going west to east then back, the wind was nowhere near as bad as I thought it would be.

No Garmin today, felt very wierd not having it out front. 80miles up for the week already! Trying to shift this USA weight... but actually feel better for riding.

Back
Top Bottom