Sofas - where to buy?

Soldato
In the market for a sofa. Haven't bought for about 10 years, we went to Next last time. Those sofas are still ok, and will remain in the living room, but we need a corner sofa for our dining/family room.

Now, I ******* hate corner sofas. It's really the right choice for the space (I keep trying to reassure myself), but I still feel like crying every time we go shopping for one.

We've tried the big sheds (SCS, Harvey's, DFS, furniture Village) and, barring maybe one or two marginal exceptions, they're all horrible. Every sofa in there (regardless of corner or not).

Mrs cheesyboy is leaning towards a particular John Lewis one, which will cost around £2.5k. I would love to find something a fair bit cheaper (especially considering how much i will hate laying cash down on a corner sofa)

Ideally, we'd like to be able to try it out in a store (or, at least, try out a normal 3-seat version of the corner sofa). Can travel if necessary.

Any suggestions/recommendations of where can I go to find one?

Soldato
I'm aware I'll get scoffed at here, but have you looked in charity shops? I bought a 3 seater black leather sofa from the British Heart Foundation. Perfect condition except a scuff on the back corner, £200 :D There was a 2 seater for £100 that I would have had too if my living room was slightly bigger.

Meanwhile a colleague of mine just spent a few grand on almost identical ones plus a chair :eek:

You never know, you just might see something less horrible than in DFS (although there are loads of awful ones too :p)

Soldato
OP
Have you tried Ikea?
Yeah, they were all a bit flimsy or uncomfortable.

M&S may have come to the rescue. Styling is ok, quality is good, and pricing is reasonable - more so since they have 40% off corner sofas this week!

Will be visiting a store this evening to lounge on some.

Keep the suggestions coming - might need an alternative.

Soldato
OP
I'm aware I'll get scoffed at here, but have you looked in charity shops? I bought a 3 seater black leather sofa from the British Heart Foundation. Perfect condition except a scuff on the back corner, £200 :D There was a 2 seater for £100 that I would have had too if my living room was slightly bigger.

Meanwhile a colleague of mine just spent a few grand on almost identical ones plus a chair :eek:

You never know, you just might see something less horrible than in DFS (although there are loads of awful ones too :p)
I'd be fine with a charity shop one, but I'm not sure we have the patience to wait it out until something of suitable style comes up.

2.5k just for a sofa..... I hope it is gold plated too
I'd rather not pay £2.5k, to be honest, but it's only a middling price for a big sofa, really. Anyway, the M&S ones we're looking at will be about half that - much better!

Soldato
Have you tried looking at Loaf sofas? We have a futon from there it's pretty good quality.

£2.5k on a large sofa that's going to be a centre piece of your living room isn't especially expensive imo

Soldato
OP
Have you tried looking at Loaf sofas? We have a futon from there it's pretty good quality.
We hadn't. I quite like some of the standard sofas (still struggling to appreciate the aesthetics of any corner sofas)

Price looks to be around that £2.5k figure again. possibly not worth the trip to London to check them out without making a saving over the John Lewis one

Soldato
We bought this one a year or so ago, and it's the best sofa I've ever had. Very comfortable, not too delicate material and the colour means you can spill the odd thing on it and it not show up :p https://www.sofaworkshop.com/sofas/best-sellers/sofa/dillon/corner-group-left/casual/graphite/fixed

Alternatively, if you come and collect it or get it collected, you can have my old leather corner sofa for free. Bought it from Dwell in 2009, used from 2009-2015 and it's since been sat in my office rarely used. Only I sat on it, so it's not very used. We're moving buildings soon and don't really want to take it with me. It's not in bad nick, got really quite good storage (two shelves) running around the length of the back and arms of it. I imagine you could get it reupholstered relatively easily if you didn't like the leather.

Soldato
We looked around all the standard places, john lewis and Next. Opted for a Next sofa. We do like it, but the quality is not as good as the JL sofa we had previously, but that comes with a price premium.

Soldato
The furniture sheds have totally disgusting sofas in them. Even the sofas on their TV adverts that are meant to showcase the stuff are horrific.

John Lewis are expensive but much much better looking.

Have you tried Made.com? Much more contemporary styling.

What sort of style were you thinking of?

Back
Top Bottom