• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

**THE NVIDIA DRIVERS THREAD**

Associate
A few days ago I noticed my screen flicker very quickly, went to event viewer and saw a display warning: "Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered."

I checked reliability history and about 5 of these events had occured unnoticed over the last few weeks. I definitley did not have this issue before the W10 Autumn Update.

I clean installed the latest 388.31 driver because I was still on 385.69 but the same thing happened again today. No idea how to diagnose or fix it, any ideas? :(

V F

V F

Soldato
Is this a new thing with Windows 10? I hadn’t booted in for a few months and during Windows Update it installs 388.31 over 384.xx something. I don’t like this even though I originally used DDU the one time to block driver updates.

Stop installing stuff I didn’t ask for.

Soldato
Is this a new thing with Windows 10? I hadn’t booted in for a few months and during Windows Update it installs 388.31 over 384.xx something. I don’t like this even though I originally used DDU the one time to block driver updates.

Stop installing stuff I didn’t ask for.

1) dont use DDU its crap & the "block" resets after updates. it does a simply registry edit which is overwritten on updates.Should never use DDU in any scenerio it not a good way to do things. in 99% of cases.

2) Block Driver updates the correct way. (https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/posts/30816460) Their maybe be some newer options located in them section so check that out too.

i've used this method on over 300 Workstation Installations running Windows 10 Pro
On the following Cards
GTX750's
GTX1050s
GTX450s
Qaudro 5600
Quadro 6000s
AMD Firepros

Never had a problem. we run Much Older Nvidia drivers 350.xx from memory as these work best in our particular applications.
i know the 380.XX actually break our work... :(

this why were are looking at switching to Quadros or Firepros.

Soldato
So I've been running my Zotac 980Ti Omega edition flash with the Extreme BIOS for over a year happily until last night.
Windows 10 updated my drivers and since I'm running a "custom" BIOS it no longer recognises the card.
Tried to reflash to stock BIOS using nvflash but came up with an error saying no longer support WOW64.
Anyone else in the same position?

Associate
Just for anyone that wanted to know. To answer to my question previously, Nvidia Inspector doesn't load up all the settings after importing them after a fresh install.

It loads up the global settings in manage 3D settings but you will lose everything else including individual program settings if you have set them up for specific games.

You can save the latter all by exporting "all customized profiles" as I found out after, but you with still lose any settings outside of the 3D settings.

This may have already been common knowledge but I thought i'd put it anyway :)

Soldato
Wow didn't realise nvidia updates there own drivers for you what a pain in the bum.

I just crashed out of 2 comp matches because it updated me to 388.13 when I was quite happy playing on 385.41 with no crashes.

I will follow your instructions on how to block them thanks.

Permabanned
Its MS not Nvidia doing so and for some reason it does not happen on my Win 10 before or after Fall Update with a Update and then clean install.

Last edited:
Soldato
Can anyone tell me how to block the updates? I have tried following the instructions on other page but can't find local group policy editor or gpedit.msc by using the search in windows 10 and have never heard of it before so don't really know where to look for it.
Thanks

Its MS not Nvidia doing so and for some reason it does not happen on my Win 10 before or after Fall Update with a Update and then clean iinstall.

Really wish they wouldn't mess with my drivers :(

I'm on a fresh install of the fall update.

Soldato
1) dont use DDU its crap & the "block" resets after updates. it does a simply registry edit which is overwritten on updates.Should never use DDU in any scenerio it not a good way to do things. in 99% of cases.

2) Block Driver updates the correct way. (https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/posts/30816460) Their maybe be some newer options located in them section so check that out too.

Hi ya,

I been looking round all over my pc and can't see any of the settings in your link. Could you tell me where to find these option please I'm on the latest version of windows 10.

I really need to turn off this auto update driver because 388.13 crashes overwatch and destroys my performance on gta5. The worst thing about this auto update is I don't know when it has updated.

Soldato
Hi ya,

I been looking round all over my pc and can't see any of the settings in your link. Could you tell me where to find these option please I'm on the latest version of windows 10.

I really need to turn off this auto update driver because 388.13 crashes overwatch and destroys my performance on gta5. The worst thing about this auto update is I don't know when it has updated.

you can open group policy by doing this
To open the Local Group Policy Editor from the command line (may not work on Home editions)
  • Click Start , type gpedit.msc in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER .

Soldato
you can open group policy by doing this
To open the Local Group Policy Editor from the command line (may not work on Home editions)
  • Click Start , type gpedit.msc in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER .

Nah it aint working I choose the home option when I installed.

Should I just reinstall windows with pro? I haven't actually activated it yet so it wouldn't cost me anything it would just be a lot of downloading games again.

Associate
Nah it aint working I choose the home option when I installed.

Should I just reinstall windows with pro? I haven't actually activated it yet so it wouldn't cost me anything it would just be a lot of downloading games again.

You could just install GPEdit and it'll save you all the hassle.

As Rroff said though "With Windows 10 can have undesirable results on versions of the OS it isn't "intended" for if you don't know what you are doing. Though that is also true of stuff like regedit so..."

I installed it to turn off updates and a few other things and its been perfectly fine for that so I'd go that route tbh.

https://www.askvg.com/how-to-enable...home-premium-home-basic-and-starter-editions/

I did method 2 and used the installer and it worked fine.

Soldato
You could just install GPEdit and it'll save you all the hassle.

As Rroff said though "With Windows 10 can have undesirable results on versions of the OS it isn't "intended" for if you don't know what you are doing. Though that is also true of stuff like regedit so..."

I installed it to turn off updates and a few other things and its been perfectly fine for that so I'd go that route tbh.

https://www.askvg.com/how-to-enable...home-premium-home-basic-and-starter-editions/

I did method 2 and used the installer and it worked fine.

Thanks for the link I ran the installer.

Thanks got it working now

Last edited:
Caporegime
Some real oddness going on with recent drivers for me. My 980Ti has been previously happy at almost 1500mhz core speed, but with the same settings in afterburner it is suddenly only boosting to 1380mhz and crashing if I adjust the slider to push it back towards 1500mhz, seems like it's misreporting the clocks. GPU-z confirms the same clocks.

Also my 2D clocks are now almost the same as my 3D clock speeds :(

Soldato
im getting a lot of nvidia driver error reports in event viewer id 13. Using latest version, which version is the most stable driver at present.
I seem to see frame drops every so often in ARK and like mini pauses in BF1.

The description for Event ID 13 from source nvlddmkm cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

\Device\Video3
Graphics Exception: ESR 0x404600=0x80000001

the message resource is present but the message is not found in the string/message table

Trying 387.92 driver

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom