Fishing - Anybody doing any ?

Man of Honour
Hmm it varies on people .. some drop out so IIRC there were 147 people last time..

147 :o
damn, my chances of winning one of the £500 prizes is pretty low then lol,
as there is 4 of us in our team, weve aggreed on a prize split should one of us win £500, the winner keeps £200 and the other 3 get £100 each,
i wont be holding my breath though :D

Soldato
147 :o
damn, my chances of winning one of the £500 prizes is pretty low then lol,
as there is 4 of us in our team, weve aggreed on a prize split should one of us win £500, the winner keeps £200 and the other 3 get £100 each,
i wont be holding my breath though :D

Good luck :) Get the big baits and rubby dubby ready!

Man of Honour
Good luck :) Get the big baits and rubby dubby ready!

didnt catch a Cod in the comp today :( all i caught was a 2Lb Whiting
only 6 Cod landed amongst ~148 people, 2 of those were on our boat, afaik the biggest was 18lb which went to a lad on our boat, no one caught multiple Cod so its assumed he gets both £500 prizes :o
we didnt stay for the results/prize ceremony so not 100% confirmed yet

Soldato
didnt catch a Cod in the comp today :( all i caught was a 2Lb Whiting
only 6 Cod landed amongst ~148 people, 2 of those were on our boat, afaik the biggest was 18lb which went to a lad on our boat, no one caught multiple Cod so its assumed he gets both £500 prizes :o
we didnt stay for the results/prize ceremony so not 100% confirmed yet

Yep my mate sent through pictures - lovely flat calm with blue skies.. pity I was sorting out project financial crap or I would have been in a boat too!

All he caught was whiting and small conger.

Man of Honour
Yep my mate sent through pictures - lovely flat calm with blue skies.. pity I was sorting out project financial crap or I would have been in a boat too!

All he caught was whiting and small conger.

spoke to the lad that won the biggest Cod prize and he said that someone did indeed weigh in 2 Cod so he only got the one prize,
in other news.. im looking at a house on monday, its about 50 paces away from the top of the beach :p

Update: looked at the house thismorning, made an offer thisafternoon, just had the call to say they've accepted :)

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Did some fishing this summer during my vacation in Latvia, pretty great atmosphere going to the lake at 5 in the morning.

i used to do a lot of night fishing down at the local lakes, my favorite time of the day was just as the sun was comming up with a bit of mist rising from the water,
nice and peaceful

Soldato
So.. xmas pressie bought and delivered :D :D Also going Thresher Shark fishing next year (fingers crossed for weather).

Me old Fladen (top) and the new.. The fladen was my first ever reel, after the grand total of number of cod (at least 15), one conger, one large blonde ray and a small conger, destroyed itself. Oh and one finger almost crushed after getting trapped in the lever drag with a fish on.

7XHO0r1pOPoO3U7AM22HqJLkQXZTlyyr8L8GWJLQGI68Sah1_WHGtqyvYX_p5-i700WeIzxV7owq2H5bWVpdFyV2MAi2V38_dE3VeA=s480-no

New baby takes 845 yards of 50lb braid, max drag rating of 40lb which is bananas - in normal setup it's likely to be set to 9-13lb at strike so by the time the line empties to 1/2 capacity, the drag will increase to 20+ at Strike. It will cast too.. although for me it's the form factor and the solidity of it. I want to focus on some tope, blues and blondes with the odd bigger option next couple of years. It is quite capable of blues.. not sure on the owner! For scale - the top reel has 300m of 50lb braid on although the centre arbour is a little thinner.

I'm now looking on how best to put some line on. Will probably do a 50lb mono backing, then 50-55lb braid for 500m.. then top shot 50lb mono or whatever is required on the day.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
nice looking reel, all my fishing kit (appart from 1 rod & reel) is a bit old and tatty now, i could do with investing in some new stuff

Associate
Looking for some advice.
Hoping to revive another one of my old childhood hobbies, but having not been fishing since 1999 when I was 13 and that was with my step dad I'm completely clueless now.
We used to mostly fish rivers and the local ponds, catching perch and trout in rivers.
So looking to start up again,mainly on the local lodges around Darwen and another local is Bradshaw fisheries.
What would be the basic kit to get started? Have seen a korum float fishing and various other kits, are these worth it?

Soldato
Depends on how much you want to spend. Fishing is A LOT cheaper compared to before, with fairly good value kit being mass produced for cheap.

Really, it depends on how much you want to spend. How many rods and reels are you after and what do you want to go for?

You can get away with a cheap, yet decent rod and reel combo for less than £80-100 online and it would be good enough that you could keep it for years while expanding your equipment. Tackle bits like swivels, weights, floats and all sorts can be had for much cheaper from the internet than tackle shop and money can be saved by ordering from the east on those bits from a website like wish.com if you can weight.

Two things i don't recommend skimping on is line and hooks. Good fresh line, rather than the junk that has been spooled on the reel since it was manufactured will stop you getting huge tangles on windy days and will give you confidence if you hook something bigger than expected. Good hooks don't bend, corrod and keep sharp - paying a quid for 10 is not much for peace of mind. Highly recommend Diawa sensor for a cheap, bulk line of good quality.

Man of Honour
check your chosen venues rules, lots of places require you to have a good size landing net and an unhooking mat, so factor that in with your buget,
also check the rules on barbed hooks

Associate
check your chosen venues rules, lots of places require you to have a good size landing net and an unhooking mat, so factor that in with your buget,
also check the rules on barbed hooks
This is the place most local to me http://www.newrad.co.uk
Looked at Rods and reels etc and I'm clueless.
Also looked at Whips also and they seem less complicated. Not looking to Land huge Carp just yet. Mainly perch etc and then when I'm a bit more competent move up to bigger stuff.

Soldato
I would get a rod + reel. More versatile and fun imo, also more mobile. Not really complicated at all.

What is your budget?

Link some of the kits you found and ill give my 2 cents.

Given you are aiming for small fish, i wouldn't bother with a fishery and would just head down the canal or rivers.

Soldato
Grr.. the 300m spool of 50lb Sakuma Nite Crystal mono I'm using the for the backing has a twist in the spool..

Normally with fixed spool you load by facing the label towards you and then wind on the line using the reel as you would normally retrieve. That way the loops come off the storage spool and are then laid onto the reel spool without twisting.
For multiplier reels the line is taken off - like a reel to reel tape recorder - with the two spools side by side.

However this damn stuff has line twist appearing whilst loading onto a multiplier before spooling back to an intermediate! Fresh off the spool! The air was blue.. I now have the backing attached to the braid and the back sitting on the braid I'll reuse ready to spool over to the newly titled "Reel of Thor" :D I think Ill have about 150m of mono under the 300m of braid with enough for a top shot of 2-100m of anything I need at the time.

Now I remember why I use braid except for the rig body or the shock leader..

Soldato
https://www.anglingdirect.co.uk/leeda-coarse-outfit
I know it's cheap but if it lasts even a 6 months I'll be happy.
Also need a landing net, chair and rucksack.
Don't have a car so need to be minimal with kit.

If cheap, cheerful and mobile is what looking for you, then a half decent telescopic is ideal. Look after it and it will serve you well. I think if you grab a 20 quid telescopic, spend £30-40 on reel and grab some diawa sensor line, you are laughing and will end up with a kit that you can still bring with you years later.

The telescopic will last so long as you don't smash the eyes together when packing up or over extend them when setting up.

I think £30 is a good minimum for a light duty river fishing reel when starting out. Just get one that loads enough line and isn't super flimsy. If you can spend a bit more, shimano as well as other big brands has some great offerings. Maybe even look out for other features if you fancy eventually using that reel for heavier duty fishing eg. getting a bait-caster if you are interested in pike or carp. Don't expect miracles for the super low price range but you can definitely make the kit last for a few years if you look after it, though by then you probably would have gotten an upgrade itch and ended up using this as a spare.

For fishing floats, get a big variety pack from ebay or something. You can spend a few quid and get enough to last you years.

I know the leeda kit seems to have you covered but the tacklebox is small enough that you will probably be leaving it at home after buying a bit more bits, the pre-spooled line will cause you a ton of headaches if you are caught out on a windy day and you can get great value for money bulk tacks of weights/floats on ebay/amazon/other online retailers.

Back
Top Bottom