• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Intel bug incoming? Meltdown and Spectre exploits

Soldato
It's not like they didn't know their own processors were processing code insecurely. It had to have been done on purpose and it would have been to keep a performance edge over rivals. They did a VW basically (cheated and kept it quiet). Hackers would have definitely known about it as well.

Not sure I'd agree with that if the hackers had wind of it, we'd know about it by now because all our machines would be knackered.

Caporegime
Will Microsoft actively put two different versions out (ie AMD and Intel). As far as i understand it, any "fix" will affect both vendors in terms of performance, it just that AMD claim they don't need the fix.

I am not sure how they would get round it either as Windows 10 forces updates on you (pretty much).

Man of Honour
Will Microsoft actively put two different versions out (ie AMD and Intel). As far as i understand it, any "fix" will affect both vendors in terms of performance, it just that AMD claim they don't need the fix.

I am not sure how they would get round it either as Windows 10 forces updates on you (pretty much).
Good question!

Soldato

I'm sure at some point they will put out a better patch that only targets the chips that need the fix. This is obviously something that is leaking and needs to come out now. It looks like MS will issue the Win 10 patch tonight, rather than wait for next week's patch day.

Soldato
Check out https://meltdownattack.com or https://spectreattack.com

The Spectre vulnerability has been confirmed on AMD chips but the Meltdown vulnerability hasn't.

I think you will find if you do some digging that it only affects FX and Pro CPUs, the Zen stuff is not at risk.

Anyhow AMD has basically debunked Intel's claim as well https://www.cnbc.com/2018/01/03/amd-rebukes-intel-says-flaw-poses-near-zero-risk-to-its-chips.html

Ryan Shrout has been on twitter calling Intel out on their shady press release as well.

I'm fairly confident Zen CPU are not affected... Other older AMD CPUs are sure vulnerable to one of the exploits, but it's not like there's as many of those about as there are Intel chips lol

Soldato
Trading closed, Intel are 3.4% down.
AMD are 5.2% up.

That's big, considering Intel shares are around £45 each and AMD shares are about £12 each.

Soldato
Intel has responded:

[link removed to prevent SEO]

They think the issue is not unique to them, not sure what this means yet.

Intel have deliberately juxtaposed two sentences praying people make a link. They also know this release will be posted by others.

Recent reports that these exploits are caused by a “bug” or a “flaw” and are unique to Intel products are incorrect. Based on the analysis to date, many types of computing devices — with many different vendors’ processors and operating systems — are susceptible to these exploits.

Intel is committed to product and customer security and is working closely with many other technology companies, including XXX, XXX Holdings and several operating system vendors, to develop an industry-wide approach to resolve this issue promptly and constructively. Intel has begun providing software and firmware updates to mitigate these exploits. Contrary to some reports, any performance impacts are workload-dependent, and, for the average computer user, should not be significant and will be mitigated over time.

Back
Top Bottom