• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GPU prices go boom

Permabanned
It's gone crazy, My £800 Vega was OTT, The same one today costs £900 and with Nvidia following suit in the US it doesn't bode well for PC Gaming.

Both Nvidia and AMD have been abusing their positions as the only options in the GPU market, It's something that needs to change before they kill PC gaming alltogether.

If I was gonna grab a card today it'd be the MSI 1080 Armor OC card as I sold mine a couple of months ago and now wish I'd kept it and just cut my case up so it would fit as I ended up having to do for Vega anyway.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/msi-...dr5x-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-322-ms.html

This isn't badly priced with all things considered.

Last edited:
Associate
Yup, finished a new build last year with R7 1700 and GTX 1080. If things continue the way they're going this could be my last gaming PC.

It all depends on the next gen consoles really. Once consoles are doing proper 4k then I think that's gonna be it for the gaming PC

Permabanned
They and retailers make a good profit why stretch that and risk rocking the boat? A good boycott would maybe change thier tune how would the investments in volta look if we all said ok bye pc gaming we cannot afford £700+ gpus.

I know i am going to be asked for about £749.99 from ocuk around may for a volta card that will probabably not appear in numbers until july or august and still command a £700+ price. Greedy swines no one is asking for non profit options but current prices are simply not feasable. Tell me how many fps at 4k would one of these get you in pubg for £700?

Now tell this to someone outside of pc gaming and keep a close eye on thier facial expressions.

Associate
Mining craze has took off again, round II pretty much, with ETH soaring, all the rx 570/580 and gtx 1060/1070/1080 etc are being cleared off shelves.

Associate
As someone sat with a 6950 in their current PC and looking to upgrade, the current GPU prices are eye watering.

If I had to I could afford but I cant justify spending circa £800 for a top of the range card when last time I was in the game a top spec card was half that.

Associate
It seems that there are an exponential amount of new alt coins to start mining. People are always looking for the next big thing to make a profit on. It's interesting that a lot of alt coins are traded in BTC as well.

I still believe crypto is a bubble. Good luck to anyone trading it. I bought £90 worth of BTC years ago and now it's worth approx £4000 but numb nuts here lost his wallet key.

Get in, make a profit and don't be the last guy holding BTC when the bubble bursts. It's still got legs in it yet though.

If crypto is still driving GPU card prices up by the time the next wave of consoles launch then I can see a lot of people jumping out of PC gaming. There just aren't enough gains to be made over a console with a PC without spending £1000 or more.

Associate
With an HD 5870 I've been hanging on for prices to normalise for what seems an age now, putting off a new PC in the hopes of things getting sensible (rather than the waiting for the next big thing). Seems like waiting for prices to come down is having the opposite effect.

Although I thought that the more Bitcoins that were mined, the harder the mining became and additionally that it was due to get harder anyway.

Associate
Been watching the forums with people asking if they should upgrade or not and waiting and waiting. Looks like they will be waiting a very long time now.

Volta is even better for mining then current Nvidia generation so looks like sever shortage will be a thing.

Problem its not just Bitcoin mining - theirs lots of different Coins Type now.

Soldato
I can see console purchases going up due to this and to be frank, if this crypto thing turns out to be the norm I will get one too as in a few years average GPU card will be £1000 +

Whats worrying is are they gonna then target the APU's like the upcoming AMD/Intel chips ?

Associate
It wouldn't be cost effective to use an APU. Too much spare silicon that's not useful for mining and too many extra parts required per APU to get them working.

In the long term mining should be good for the GPU market if supply can catch up to demand. This is a lot of new investment going into GPU R&D.

In the short term I'm still sitting on a WC'd 290X and chomping at the bit for a suitable upgrade. Instead of buying a new card I just 'invested' the money into alt-coins. We'll see how that works out :)

Soldato
Personally I'm already considering moving to console. I already have a ps4 that gains a lot of dust at the moment. Once my steam games dry up or should I loose my 670's for some reason I suspect I'll be out. Can I afford it? Sure but I wont. A graphics card or a new ps4 pro and a 4k tv or psvr. Is the pc experiance better, maybe, but i'm not honestly sure I can spot the difference in the heat of battle, I'm not gaming enough to be competitive in anything anymore so this is for my own ammusement only. Some games I'll always come back to pc for, shooters and diablo style rgp but everything else going forward will be console

Back
Top Bottom