• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Upgrade itch, am i mad to want an 8600k with new Ryzen around the corner?

Associate
I'm so tempted to get a 8700k and Asus Hero X Can currently get both together for £544.95 and Asus are doing a £60 cashback promotion so £484.95 for bundle.

Soldato
Thats complete and utter nonsense.

I'm running the cheapest ram i could get a hold of (16GB Corsair LPX 3000Mhz) £180, and the cheapest B350 motherboard i could get a hold of, ASRock AB350 Pro 4 (£75) i set the XMP profile and selected 3000Mhz, it took 10 seconds and has been running 100% stable since i set it like that.

The Ram thing was an issue very early on, with it being a brand new architecture, Ryzen had exactly the same problems Intel had with X99 which was their first adventure with DDR4. everyone seems to have forgotten about Intel nightmares with DDR4.

At this point all you do is update the BIOS on your new board, if its an old one, set your ram to its rated speed and away you go, that's it.

Unfortunately it is still not that simple for all Hynix ram on all boards. It is a better but quality Bdie on Ryzen runs faster at lower latency than Hynix. To give an example my 2x 8gb Corsair lpx 3200 c16 ran at most 3066c16 not being completely stable, my current 8 pack ram when 2 x 8gb ran fine at 3333c14 or 3466c15. The 8 pack will boot at 3600c15 but crashes eventually under any real load.

Caporegime
Unfortunately it is still not that simple for all Hynix ram on all boards. It is a better but quality Bdie on Ryzen runs faster at lower latency than Hynix. To give an example my 2x 8gb Corsair lpx 3200 c16 ran at most 3066c16 not being completely stable, my current 8 pack ram when 2 x 8gb ran fine at 3333c14 or 3466c15. The 8 pack will boot at 3600c15 but crashes eventually under any real load.

That's Asus, you need to direct your frustrations at Asus as at this point ram compatibility is entirely down to them, AMD have done their part and others don't have the problems you are experiencing, the longer people keep blaming AMD for it the less likely its going to get fixed because people like Asus are happy to sit back and let AMD take the blame instead of investing in fixing their own broken boards.

BTW how do you know what Memory IC's you have?

Caporegime
i have the non 8pack Team Group Dark Pro 3200 are they samsung?

Hit and miss, the 8pack ones are guaranteed to be Samsung, the standard Team Group Dark Pro have been found to have Samsung but its not guaranteed.

The only way you can be sure is it you use whatever application DarkHorizon472 used to check his, or another less reliable way is to look at the rated timings, if they are 14-14-14 then they are almost certainly Samsung B-Die because only Samsung B-Die are capable of running CL14 at 3200Mhz + on any system, including Intel, not getting Ram to run at CL14 3200Mhz on anything other than Samsung B-Die is not a Ryzen thing, its a RAM thing :)

Soldato
That's Asus, you need to direct your frustrations at Asus as at this point ram compatibility is entirely down to them, AMD have done their part and others don't have the problems you are experiencing, the longer people keep blaming AMD for it the less likely its going to get fixed because people like Asus are happy to sit back and let AMD take the blame instead of investing in fixing their own broken boards.

BTW how do you know what Memory IC's you have?

It’s not just asus and affects other motherboard manufacturers. There is a thaiphoon utility you can download that provides great detail on your ram. Currently ASRock and asus have the best performing am4 boards with the ch6 and Taichi. Things have improved since release but Bdie simply performs better on Ryzen than Hynix, which is why the 8 pack 3200 is faster and lower latency.

Caporegime
It’s not just asus and affects other motherboard manufacturers. There is a utility you can download that provides great detail on your ram. Currently ASRock and asus have the best performing am4 boards with the ch6 and Taichi. Things have improved since release but Bdie simply performs better on Ryzen than Hynix, which is why the 8 pack 3200 is faster and lower latency.

Read my last response to BRIGGBOY81.

If you're not able to get your Ram to run at its rated timings and speeds then fair enough but what people should not do is confuse Ryzen not running 3200Mhz at CL14 as a Ryzen thing when in fact no system (and by that i can only mean also Intel) will run anyother than Samsung B-Die at 3200Mhz CL14 because only Samsung B-Die are capable of that,. its a ram thing, not a CPU thing.

This is AMD's first outing with DDR4, Intel had exactly the same problems to the same extent as AMD with X99, people seem to forget that, AMD have spent the last 6 moths fixing the DDR4 compatibility issues at their end, there is nothing more they can do and if some motherboard vendors can run memory at rated speeds but others can't then i would suggest those who can't look at those who can to see where they are going wrong.

Edit, actually Gigabyte are the best ones.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I'd say the 4c 8t X299 chips are the fastest gaming CPU's.

The 7700K? i disagree, 4 cores 8 threads has had its day, the IPC and clock speeds of the 8700K are the same but with 2 extra cores, win win, pricey tho.
-----------------------

For anyone interested in Ryzen overclocking, especially Ram, there is no better guide than this one from AMD's Robert Hallock, he's a top guy and of course more than anyone he knows what he is talking about when is comes to Ryzen, if you haven't seen this already its a must watch.

https://youtu.be/vZgpHTaQ10k?t=4m4s

Soldato
The 7700K? i disagree, 4 cores 8 threads has had its day, the IPC and clock speeds of the 8700K are the same but with 2 extra cores, win win, pricey tho.
-----------------------

For anyone interested in Ryzen overclocking, especially Ram, there is no better guide than this one from AMD's Robert Hallock, he's a top guy and of course more than anyone he knows what he is talking about when is comes to Ryzen, if you haven't seen this already its a must watch.

Ahhh, noted. I'll give that one a look soon. 6/7 weeks to go :)

Associate
Hit and miss, the 8pack ones are guaranteed to be Samsung, the standard Team Group Dark Pro have been found to have Samsung but its not guaranteed.

The only way you can be sure is it you use whatever application DarkHorizon472 used to check his, or another less reliable way is to look at the rated timings, if they are 14-14-14 then they are almost certainly Samsung B-Die because only Samsung B-Die are capable of running CL14 at 3200Mhz + on any system, including Intel, not getting Ram to run at CL14 3200Mhz on anything other than Samsung B-Die is not a Ryzen thing, its a RAM thing :)
yeah im hynix :( although i do have it running at 3000mhz with good timings now. when it runs at 3200 they are in the 20s and 70s
yQdzfNc.png

Last edited:
Soldato
-----------------------

The 7740x and 7760x I think.

Soldato
The 7740x and 7760x I think.
How would they be faster than an i5-8600K?

Yes Ryzen refresh is just around the corner but they are not going to magically start beating Intel in games where they are currently behind. The i5-8600K and i7-8700K will be the game kings regardless of what happens, but AMD's offerings will almost certainly be better bang for buck.

Soldato
How would they be faster than an i5-8600K?

Yes Ryzen refresh is just around the corner but they are not going to magically start beating Intel in games where they are currently behind. The i5-8600K and i7-8700K will be the game kings regardless of what happens, but AMD's offerings will almost certainly be better bang for buck.

You can get big overclocks from them.

Back
Top Bottom